Match Thread: Lincoln City v Hull City | Page 39 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Hull City

Differences of opinion are what oil the wheels of forums like this, and this one is better than most in that we're relativly polite and tolerant.

My view on the full backs?

The Poole/TJ comparison was a fatuous one today, as TJ was needed at CB, though Poole can play there too. Poole made mistake which cost the decisive goal, but was cleverly conned into it by their player. It happens, it's not a capital offence. Most on here considered Poole had a good game on Tuesday, today against the first side to clinch promotion, so best in the league, ut was tougher for all. Gotts a better RB? I'd respectfully disagree.

On the left, Tayo is probably the best LB but it's been a struggle, he was Spawn of Satan for some on here before Christmas. Bramall is excellent going forward, more suspect defensively. FWIW I thought he did well in all respects today. He's a much more dynamic option than Melbourne and much more experienced than Roughan, who's time will come.

Any reasonable person will say the jury is out on our new full-backs. Both have improvements to make to be top L1 players.

A pre-season will help. But it's a key position in MA's system so they will need to be knob-on next season from the off.

If we have a Poole/Eyoma debate I have no problem accepting someone's opinion about Poole even if I think they're wrong. I'm assuming comments like "Sunday League player" are just hyperbole and the poster doesn't truly believe that.

I don't look at the threads predicting what the team will be for the next game but I doubt everybody says exactly the same thing on them.

Anyway, after we played Sunderland their fans, with no preconceptions, thought our full backs were our main strength. It's not the only time I've seen that recently.
Now, those fans only see them once, but at the very least it means there's something there to work with.

Just heard McCann on Quest say he can’t be more beneficial to them, meaning his players.
What is he on about.

I like TJ Eyoma and so do Spurs. He's a good player. I completely understand why people think he's a better player than Poole.

Defensively, I am not sure there is that much between them. Okay Poole's made a mistake today but TJ has made the odd mistake too. But both are good defenders.

TJ I agree is better receiving the ball on the touchline and link play. TJ is very good at it. Poole is just good at it.

I defy anyone to say TJ is a big threat in the
final third. I am sure MA sees Poole as more likely to be effective in this area.

... and at the end of the day it's much harder to create goals than stop them.

That's the potential he sees in Poole and why I think he is just infront of Eyoma in MA's eyes.

I am not sure the fruits of that potential have necessarily been realised yet but there have been glimpses.

It's not a clear cut case either way at the minute but it's quite possible that one or two bits of better delivery in the attacking third Poole is capable of, might prove MA right in one of the games that decide our fate in the coming weeks.

If I were picking the side I would have TJ in it but I am quite prepared to recognise I would almost certainly be getting it wrong.

MA is not fool and has constructed as good a side as Lincoln have had for many years.

I am prepared to believe he knows better than me. Perhaps others might consider a similar possibility as well.

Great post

I’m so confused at the negativity around Poole!!!

Him or Eyoma is a 50/50 for me. Eyoma maybe slightly shading it on talent. But Poole is contracted to us so makes sense for him to start

He’s had 2.5 months with Appleton and he’s come along quite a way in those - same as Bramall. Just look at how much Edun, Grant, Hopper, Walsh, McGrandles, Johnson, Scully and probably a few more have developed with more time to realise Poole is going to be a very good asset next season!!!
...particularly as they came in January and have been playing two games a week and have had periods with very little time to train - it’s been about recovery & preparation. Personally I’m very pleased with them and will be very interested to see how they next season after a full pre-season conditioning and training on method, etc. That will be the opportunity to judge them more fairly.

Last edited:
I’m not disagreeing that their budget is bigger! I just don’t believe 5x as big.
They spent £18m last season on wages, around 110% of their turnover. Won't all be player wages but it's probably more than 5x our budget.

In one of the recent interviews, I can't remember if it was Liam or Clive, they'd seen the finalised budget list for this season and we were bottom half.

A calculated guess from me would be around £2m for us.

That's what this forum is all about, and this thread proves it. Passionate fans with their own opinions, debating, nay even arguing about the rights and wrongs of team selections, player abilities etc.

However can I ask some of the contributors, how you manage to write so many posts during a match? I imagine you would miss half of the action whilst you are venting your spleen over some bad pass or other.

Just saying like.

That's what this forum is all about, and this thread proves it. Passionate fans with their own opinions, debating, nay even arguing about the rights and wrongs of team selections, player abilities etc.

However can I ask some of the contributors, how you manage to write so many posts during a match? I imagine you would miss half of the action whilst you are venting your spleen over some bad pass or other.

Just saying like.

We can multi-task. :grinning:

Are people still scarred by the Tom Champion loan of 2016? I mean, I think most of us called that as a bad signing after a game. He stuck out like a sore thumb straight away at being poor.

But since then, and this isn't an exhaustive list, we had Theo Robinson who wasn't rated initially yet everyone was tuning into Radio Lincs at 11pm on a Tuesday night hoping he stayed.

Tom Pett wasn't rated after his January move but was important the following season. Last season it was Hopper who was a waste of money yet turned ok. Unbelievably, Edun was deemed not good enough at points as well, despite turning in half decent performances last season after his arrival.

I'm not suggesting Poole will 100% turn out to be a great signing. I think we've seen enough to see he'll not go down as a dud but it's pretty pointless judging permanent January signings until the new seasons kicks off, especially joining a Club who're a) riding high in the league because straight away they're being benchmarked as that level of player, not taking into account an general overachievement from the squad this season, b) thrown into a squad who have suffered injury and Covid setbacks and c) January is a stinking time for players to sign for new Club's anyway. New Club, new squad, new partnerships and no pre-season to work on anything, just thrown straight into it and d) we're not signing ready made players. It's literally the model we're going down so we can't all act surprised when a player is signed an initially isn't deemed as strong as the rest. If they were, we'd not be signing them. That's why we've got Appleton and point d) is probably highlighted further in January signings because of the points raised in c).

Are people still scarred by the Tom Champion loan of 2016? I mean, I think most of us called that as a bad signing after a game. He stuck out like a sore thumb straight away at being poor.

And I could point out that Champion is actually a very decent player at that level as evidenced in his career at a number of clubs, so it wasn't an unreasonable signing at the time. Sometimes a player and a club just doesn't click for no obvious reason (see also Joe Allon).

But since then, and this isn't an exhaustive list, we had Theo Robinson who wasn't rated initially yet everyone was tuning into Radio Lincs at 11pm on a Tuesday night hoping he stayed.

Tom Pett wasn't rated after his January move but was important the following season. Last season it was Hopper who was a waste of money yet turned ok. Unbelievably, Edun was deemed not good enough at points as well, despite turning in half decent performances last season after his arrival.

I'm not suggesting Poole will 100% turn out to be a great signing. I think we've seen enough to see he'll not go down as a dud but it's pretty pointless judging permanent January signings until the new seasons kicks off, especially joining a Club who're a) riding high in the league because straight away they're being benchmarked as that level of player, not taking into account an general overachievement from the squad this season, b) thrown into a squad who have suffered injury and Covid setbacks and c) January is a stinking time for players to sign for new Club's anyway. New Club, new squad, new partnerships and no pre-season to work on anything, just thrown straight into it and d) we're not signing ready made players. It's literally the model we're going down so we can't all act surprised when a player is signed an initially isn't deemed as strong as the rest. If they were, we'd not be signing them. That's why we've got Appleton and point d) is probably highlighted further in January signings because of the points raised in c).

I think point b is pretty important - even allowing for being new signings in Jan, playing in a different system etc, we've been so unsettled in terms of personnel. Playing with a different winger in front of you, and two different centre halves? Even different CMs for a pass inside. Both I think have played with four different centre halves now and a whole bunch of different pairings; a bit of a communication issue on a cross etc is pretty likely.

That sort of iconic back 4 for us in recent times (Wood - Waterfall - Raggett - Habergham) played about a bazillion games together that season and it wasn't hard to either choose or select our best 11. All the changes in personnel we've had to make don't help at all.

The debate is meaningless after 4 6 or 7 games.

personally I think for our defence assuming we are league 1 next year Walsh Jackson and Montsma have proven that all 3 are good enough for a starting place.

I see Edun more as a midfielder.

The for the full backs I think we need one more right back but in terms of starting position I would challenge Poole v new and Bramall v Roughan with a full pre season and say the position is up for grabs. I don’t think any of them have done enough to cement a place.

Just saying like.

"Microchip technology, that's a new thing..."

C. The Young Ones

I don't think the full back debate was about whether Poole and Bramall will be good signings in the longer term.

It was more about whether they should be the current first choice full backs, as they appear to have been the past 15 games or so.

On recent (last five months) form, when our other centre backs and either Bridcutt or Grant are fit, our best full backs are TJ and Edun.

I thought Tayo Edun was slated more then the rest yet he played in his least favoured position ,You could tell he was very good and its now starting to really show

I thought Tayo Edun was slated more then the rest

You're right, he was. There's no memory as short as that of a football fan.

Here are a selection of opinions from as recently as last December about Edun at left back (the position everyone now says he should be playing):

"Tayo should never be considered as a defender."
" His failures are far more frequent than his successes"
"Edun, in whatever position he plays, is a weak link...an accident waiting to happen"
"I really hope that MA doesn’t play Edun at LB again"
"Dreadful defensively and I'm not sure his ball-playing ability is good enough to justify why he starts"
"He's not league one standard, unfortunately"
and finally
"he's an emergency left back rather than a natural one"

I put the last one in because I said that. In the last few months I have no problem if he has to play left back, though he is obviously best in midfield.

The point is, these snap judgements on players who have only just started, or recently moved position, are frequently wrong.

It turned out that Appleton was right about Edun. The chances are he could also end up being right about Poole and/or Bramall