The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Summer 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very much of the “continuous improvement” mentality to replace first teamers and demote then to the bench, but our bench is so weak it wouldn’t be the worst thing for us to sign some players who aren’t good enough for where we want to be, but are a good option off the bench or for certain games. Although he was little expensive, Traore would be in that bracket.

I am very much of the “continuous improvement” mentality to replace first teamers and demote then to the bench, but our bench is so weak it wouldn’t be the worst thing for us to sign some players who aren’t good enough for where we want to be, but are a good option off the bench or for certain games. Although he was little expensive, Traore would be in that bracket.
Whilst Traore isn't a world beater, who are you starting ahead of him in that position?

Realistically we have to replace Elmo Taylor Trez? Engels? Freddie Hourihane and bring in 5 or 6 players that could or will be seriously challenging the first team man in their position, now that also leaves room for the Ramseys Keslers Chuckywhatsit etc to make their move if indeed they are anywhere near good enough. Ie do we ditch Elmo and promote Kesler, buy in Henry from our feeder club to challenge/replace Targett, bring in a CB to challenge Mings and Konsa as we don't seem to have that at the moment with the youngsters. Can we afford to have a CF that goes 9 games without scoring and still plays every game and every minute or do we splash big again on serious competition? Every club in the PL has more striker options than Villa

Whilst Traore isn't a world beater, who are you starting ahead of him in that position?

That isn’t quite what I’m saying. As he isn’t a world beater to steal your phrase, I am saying I wouldn’t be against signing players of his level at the right price to boost the bench and rotation options. We aren’t going to be able to afford 5-6 quality first teamers, plus there’s a good nucleus of a teamers that we don’t want to undo as that work either e.g.Fulham a few season ago.

Ah right yeah agreed. I would say that if we were signing three quality players to hopefully hit the 1st team, that right forward position would definitely be one of them. In fact two players across the three behind Watkins plus someone to push McGinn to improve or to the bench.

DS has been playing down spending big in the summer. It'll still be a select few at reasonable prices who can make a difference. Think I'd go with that.

It means the wholesale slaughter of a chunk of the squad isn't going to happen. He's going to have to replace some like Elmo and Taylor, but maybe Guilbert will replace Elmo. Think a forward, midfielder, winger and LB are the maximum.

Select few at reasonable prices ?
The midfield needs major enhancements and we need a quality striker

The midfield needs one quality signing better than what we've got. Sanson might be it or we might need somebody else. We've got a quality striker; we do need someone to compete with Ollie though.

The squad we've got is going to be better next year. We need select signings to make it even better. That's it. That's enough to keep moving forwards.

You have to spend money to just stand still in this league, if we don't spend fairly big (no idea how much) then we will no doubt see any progress this year halted or even see us go backwards.

Totally agree, maybe it goes without saying but its quality of recruitment and not spend that will really determine whether we improve. Obviously there is a strong correlation between quality and cost but its not a sole distinguisher.

I could see a scenario where we only sign 3 players, spend maybe 60MM and massively improve Vs. signing 5 spending 120MM and barely improving.

We need only look at the likes of Werner vs. Watkins or even Traore vs. Ziyech. Hell lets even look at just Chelsea vs. us, Martinez was a steal vs. Mendy, Ramsdale etc.

The other wing IMO is the critical position to fix. Go big and get someone who won't fail. We need a minimum of one of other massively dangerous player on the pitch with Jack.

Realistically we have to replace Elmo Taylor Trez? Engels? Freddie Hourihane and bring in 5 or 6 players that could or will be seriously challenging the first team man in their position, now that also leaves room for the Ramseys Keslers Chuckywhatsit etc to make their move if indeed they are anywhere near good enough. Ie do we ditch Elmo and promote Kesler, buy in Henry from our feeder club to challenge/replace Targett, bring in a CB to challenge Mings and Konsa as we don't seem to have that at the moment with the youngsters. Can we afford to have a CF that goes 9 games without scoring and still plays every game and every minute or do we splash big again on serious competition? Every club in the PL has more striker options than Villa

I saw a stat earlier ranking teams by goals and assists from subs. We were either bottom or second bottom with 1 each. Its dispiriting knowing that if we're looking for a goal we've nothing on the bench that's going to help us.

You have to spend money to just stand still in this league, if we don't spend fairly big (no idea how much) then we will no doubt see any progress this year halted or even see us go backwards.

I do think there's a small window where a team can really move on to the next level, we seem to be in a good place to do that right now.

We don't need to make a lot of signings but we need to make some big ones, bigger than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.