Bristol Rovers/Ehmer | Page 5 | Vital Football

Bristol Rovers/Ehmer

. He's under contract for next season as well down there so can't see him being released.

Blimey having read Barton's comments then I take back my previous thoughts. Ehmer sounds in real trouble.

Not sure I would take him back though, Although if Ogilve and/or Tucker were to leave in the summer then we would be in the market for a free transfer CB.

Makes me laugh reading those comments.......................... and then Barton says "we've got to build him back up". Feck off ya twat.

Barton always has and always will be a class less ****. If he feels Max (or any of their players) aren't doing it you keep that kind of stuff in house, not at a press conference. Rovers are not in the mess they are in soley because of ME and his performances, so i guess this is personal with Max.

I guarantee one thing it won't have done anything for team moral because every player will now be looking at the those comments and thinking am I next.

I’m just so glad that A. Joey Barton is not our manager and B. that we’re not in that relegation mix.
Rovers v Swindle has become a massive game for both clubs.
My 10p is on Swindon to nick a win.
Brizzle have serious problems.

It was a fall out with Barton that led to Dempsey becoming available to sign from Fleetwood last summer, so maybe we should be grateful that Joey is like that!
No way would I have Hanlan or Ehmer back now, both were offered deals to stay here and were 2 of the players Evans most wanted to keep from last season, but both chose to go for the money at Bristol, so they made their choice, there's no coming back from it now.

both were offered deals to stay here and were 2 of the players Evans most wanted to keep from last season, but both chose to go for the money at Bristol, so they made their choice, there's no coming back from it now.

I'm not sure that is accurate. As I recall it Ehmer was told he would be offered a deal but not until the club were in a position to know what was happening regarding COVID. He went for the security of a real deal from Rovers. At the time many on this board understood that he put family security first. Other than earning more money he might be regretting that but I don't blame him for opting for financial security.

I might be wrong.

Hanlan turned down a number of concrete offers on the other hand but I don't blame him for leaving he needed a fresh start as he was struggling to kick start his career here. Looks no different there either but I don't blame him for trying.

I'm not sure that is accurate. As I recall it Ehmer was told he would be offered a deal but not until the club were in a position to know what was happening regarding COVID. He went for the security of a real deal from Rovers. At the time many on this board understood that he put family security first. Other than earning more money he might be regretting that but I don't blame him for opting for financial security.

I might be wrong.

Hanlan turned down a number of concrete offers on the other hand but I don't blame him for leaving he needed a fresh start as he was struggling to kick start his career here. Looks no different there either but I don't blame him for trying.
Ehmer was offered a deal in principal by Gills and if he had waited a bit longer it would have been concrete, but we couldn't get near to the contracts offered by Rovers for either Ehmer or Hanlan owing to their higher wage ceiling.
As they say, the grass isn't always greener.
I think 95% of footballers always go to whichever club offers the best contract anyway, it seems that Ehmer didn't feel tied to the area here, and probably felt it was too good an offer to turn down.
Still I wouldn't have either back now, Evans did seem to really like them though so I wouldn't rule it out from happening, but loyalty works two ways.

Ehmer was offered a deal in principal by Gills and if he had waited a bit longer it would have been concrete, but we couldn't get near to the contracts offered by Rovers for either Ehmer or Hanlan owing to their higher wage ceiling.
I think 95% of footballers always go to whichever club offers the best contract anyway, it seems that Ehmer didn't feel tied to the area here, and probably felt it was too good an offer to turn down.
Still I wouldn't have either back now, Evans did seem to really like them though so I wouldn't rule it out from happening, but loyalty works two ways.

Didn't SE say at the time that ME wanted to stay and SE wanted him to stay and that Max would have stayed had we offered him something concrete in writing but due to Covid and the uncertainty we were not able to do so Max moved on. To suggest Max went just for the money is not how it came across at the time as I remember it.

Hanlon on the other hand, played us for a fool.

Makes me laugh reading those comments.......................... and then Barton says "we've got to build him back up". Feck off ya twat.

Barton always has and always will be a class less ****. If he feels Max (or any of their players) aren't doing it you keep that kind of stuff in house, not at a press conference. Rovers are not in the mess they are in soley because of ME and his performances, so i guess this is personal with Max.

I guarantee one thing it won't have done anything for team moral because every player will now be looking at the those comments and thinking am I next.
Careful Captain, you'll have Mozzer on to you.
:-)

As far as players are concerned in modern times I'd say five year's service is quite loyal

Both Max and Brandon have quickly learned that with the extra cash comes extra pressure if you are not climbing the league.
However Barton rubbishing his players looks pretty desperate to me, as he will have that same group until the end of the season. Getting his excuses in early I'm afraid.
Max Ehmer is a quality L1 defender and leader. It's Barton that needs to go.

Barton has absolutely slayed Ehmer there. Publically too. I get that he wants to tell the truth to fans, and wants to look like he is 'doing something' about the poor performances, but being so publicly brutal is uncalled for. I actually dont think he makes the best captain either, but bartons comments are well OTT in public.

Id be very surprised if Ehmer is motivated to improve qnd play by this. And with what will likely be a long term contract at Rovers, may well just look to undermine the manager, collect his wage and wait till Barton is sacked.

Further still, what a player to pick on. The teams chosen captain, so obviously pretty damn popular amongst the other players too. Id imagine those players who support him will also be pretty pissed off and may well not work in the same direction as the new manager too now. May well have lost a lot of good will from his players there.

Didnt Pennock have similar issues with Wright when he took over?

Last edited:
Didn't SE say at the time that ME wanted to stay and SE wanted him to stay and that Max would have stayed had we offered him something concrete in writing but due to Covid and the uncertainty we were not able to do so Max moved on. To suggest Max went just for the money is not how it came across at the time as I remember it.

Hanlon on the other hand, played us for a fool.
Evans said something like that when news first broke out that he’d agreed a contract with Rovers, (via a Bristol based journalist I think), long before it was officially announced that he’d gone. Evans was still then hoping to persuade Ehmer to stay but his mind was made up.
But since then Evans/Raynor said quite recently that both Ehmer and Hanlan went for good contracts and good money that we couldn’t match, so I think the whole Covid situation wasn’t really the decisive factor.

Evans said something like that when news first broke out that he’d agreed a contract with Rovers, (via a Bristol based journalist I think), long before it was officially announced that he’d gone. Evans was still then hoping to persuade Ehmer to stay but his mind was made up.
But since then Evans/Raynor said quite recently that both Ehmer and Hanlan went for good contracts and good money that we couldn’t match, so I think the whole Covid situation wasn’t really the decisive factor.

My recollection was that ME had still not been offered anything concrete by GFC right up until he officially signed for Rovers on 21st July. Obviously the deal he was offered by Rovers was a better contract than he was on here (obviously would have been as we've got the lowest budget) but at the time most thought it was about ME doing what was best for him, not him just being a mercenary.

Find it a bit strange how that seems to be your angle, when it seems Hanlon was a far more logical point of attack where mercenary and playing teams off against each other to gain a better deal was concerned.

My recollection was that ME had still not been offered anything concrete by GFC right up until he officially signed for Rovers on 21st July. Obviously the deal he was offered by Rovers was a better contract than he was on here (obviously would have been as we've got the lowest budget) but at the time most thought it was about ME doing what was best for him, not him just being a mercenary.

Find it a bit strange how that seems to be your angle, when it seems Hanlon was a far more logical point of attack where mercenary and playing teams off against each other to gain a better deal was concerned.
I don’t see how it was any different for either of them. Evans wanted both to stay, but both left for more money elsewhere.
The same could happen with Ogilvie this summer, as one example.

I don’t see how it was any different for either of them. Evans wanted both to stay, but both left for more money elsewhere.
The same could happen with Ogilvie this summer, as one example.

One big difference between the two.At the time Max left he hadn't been offered a contract by us to stay here. At the time Hanlon left he had been offered a contract by us to stay here.

Hanlon dragged it out for six weeks and was actually offered at least one if not two new improved contracts to stay here, yet he decided to go to Rovers (completely within his rights). SE (with his Gills hat on) seemed to be of the opinion Hanlon was being poorly advised and that he (or more likely his agent on his behalf) were not being straight. Max on the other hand signed for Rovers 3 weeks after his contract with us finished and up to that point had not been offered any kind of concrete contract offer.

I know which one I think went for the money out the two. Granted it hasn't worked out for either of them.

Agree re Ogilvie. Think he'll have a better offer than us this summer.

Last edited:
Yes I noticed that, which will destroy his confidence even more: from being captain to not even making the subs bench!