Exactly vs.Latics | Page 8 | Vital Football

Exactly vs.Latics

TBH mate John is probably right on this occasion. We changed our game plan to nullify theirs, in my book that is a negative attitude.

I like to see teams play three at the back, as Accy do.

However in order to play that your wing backs have to assist in midfield, today Robinson wasn't able to do that. Darikwa had some success on the right but cost us with a poor decision. We effectively played five at the back for most of the game and the two errors came from misunderstandings from players adjusting to playing a different formation. We lost the runners and it cost us.

Hopefully we learn from this and move on but we really must play to our strengths and not negate our play by trying to counter opposition set ups. We need to play our own game and not be intimidated by other teams, let them worry about us and not the other way around. Sure we will lose some games but at least we will go down playing our own game.

I did concede TB that the WBs (certainly Robinson) didn't get forward enough.

Our passing today was poor - maybe partly due to their pitch, not certainly not wholly so. Too many players had poor games. Not just a little off, but poor.

If we were truly set up not to lose, and we hadn't lost, I'd have been happy. As it is, we took the lead, then conceded two stupid goals, which probably played with their heads. We recovered a little in the second half, but didn't show enough skill/flair/confidence/calmness/whatever in front of goal.

I did concede TB that the WBs (certainly Robinson) didn't get forward enough.

Our passing today was poor - maybe partly due to their pitch, not certainly not wholly so. Too many players had poor games. Not just a little off, but poor.

If we were truly set up not to lose, and we hadn't lost, I'd have been happy. As it is, we took the lead, then conceded two stupid goals, which probably played with their heads. We recovered a little in the second half, but didn't show enough skill/flair/confidence/calmness/whatever in front of goal.

We still changed our tactics from the previous three games to negate their system. Negative tactics equal set up not to lose in my opinion, and of course John's.

We still changed our tactics from the previous three games to negate their system. Negative tactics equal set up not to lose in my opinion, and of course John's.
I agree with the first point ... I don't agree that a back 3 is necessarily negative. It all depends on how much the two wing backs can push forward. Unfortunately, today, certainly down the left, it wasn't very much.

I agree with the first point ... I don't agree that a back 3 is necessarily negative. It all depends on how much the two wing backs can push forward. Unfortunately, today, certainly down the left, it wasn't very much.

Didn't say that 3 CB's is a negative, my point was that to change our system to merely negate the opposition is.

I personally like to play with three at the back but we have had success in the previous three games with a back four and Johnston as a shielding player, today we went away from that to nullify another teams system, which in mine and John's opinion was a negative set up to prevent goals, not score them. Hence Johns assertion that we set up not to lose.

On a side note Ipswich we're on a 3 match winning streak before Cook, they've won 1 in 5 since he joined them. Hope we don't make it easy for them next week like we did today for Stanley.

Fair do. I still maintain that application of the plan was the downfall, as opposed to the plan itself.

Decent game the other week. Poor today. Won us the game against Sunderland at their place.

:shrug:

That would be 5th December then Moonay. Seems like a bloody lifetime ago tonight mate.

That is the frustrating bit. We can play football with skill, composure and determination, but drop points when a quarter of the affort put in against Sunderland could win us the game.

That would be 5th December then Moonay. Seems like a bloody lifetime ago tonight mate.
That is the frustrating bid. We can play football with skill, composure and determination, but drop pounts when a quarter of the affeort put in against Sunderland could win us the game.
He had a recurrence of (or he inflamed) his injury in the game, and so was out again until recently. He's performed well in each of the last 3 games. He was admittedly very poor - especially first half - today.

Think we would have snatched the hand off that said we would be in the bottom 4 on goal difference approaching the last ten games. Rather than criticise now is the time to believe and get behind the lads. This will be perhaps our greatest escape given last Summer so get behind the lads.

1st 6 months at Sheffield he was one of their best performers, scored some cracking goals. They brough in Norwood to replace him and it worked well. But at league 1 level, playing him in a position where a proven manager at every efl level used him is no doubt his best position.

Edit, if you could switch Ojo for Morsy you would make that change right?
He was only playing there 4 months, they signed him in Jan and unloaded him back to us in August, he made 21 league and cup appearances including many as a substitute and scored "some cracking goals" 2 actually, Sheffield Utd fans moaned about him most of the time and wondered why he had been signed, he came back to us and had a shocking season, he was a bit part player under Cook.

He had a recurrence of (or he inflamed) his injury in the game, and so was out again until recently. He's performed well in each of the last 3 games. He was admittedly very poor - especially first half - today.

Didn't get much of a chance to influence the game first half as the ball was flying over his head most of the time.