Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky | Page 31 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Wolves Match Thread - Sat 6 March @ 5.30pm - Sky

Now we are safe, what is the aim for the rest of the season? With Jack gone next year, we'll be back as one of the relegation favourites if we don't find a different way to play. I'm not going to knock Ollie, but if Deano doesn't find a way to play that does not include him chasing around like a madman week in, week out, his legs will be gone in a year or two.

I wish we had the ability to change things. Nuno found a way of changing their first half performance around.
We just seem to play off the cuff and sometimes it work but when it's not working our 4 coaches just seem to stand there scratching their arses .
Subs Barkley putting stud in his fecking boots, Davis not even having a shirt on, it took over 5 mins to get them on, pissing about with ipads, they are footballers what instructions do they need.
Jack was so bored he was playing on his phone

We are now relying far too heavily on our defence to get us a result in games.

Time to sort it out, Dean as 11 goals in the last 13 league games is unacceptable.

And why do we consistently have a bad half in games? - Thant's also unacceptable and is asking for trouble regardless if you are a mid-table team or not.

They used to say a top keeper is worth 10 15 points a season and thank goodness we've got one in Emi.

Last edited:
Boring game. No Jack no entertainment. 1 win in 4 without him this season, and 1 win out of 7 in the prem so far overall. Sanson looked average but it was his first start, so cannot be judged so soon. Barkley was useless for us and almost useful for Wolves because he nearly cost us a goal. McGinn was poor defensively as he lost his man which resulted in the best chance of the match to them. Should have won that 3-1 based on chances created. Defensively it was yet another good performance. Davis should be sold to anyone who wants him as we don't play to his strength which is in a 442 formation. It doesn't matter when he comes on if we are playing him in any formation where there aren't 2 strikers up front. Lastly, Emi is superb 🤘

If it was Sanson's ankle that forced his sub.

Then it had to be Sanson = Nakamba.

But by the hour mark it should've already been.

Traore - Davis then Trez - Barkley/Ramsey but dropping the wingers and just piling through the middle.

Let Nakamba back up Luis and McGinn (even though he's better suited to the attacking role) and leave Davis as the target with Ollie/Barkley/Ramsey floating around him for knock downs.

We still might not have won, but Davis was giving their defence something to think about and it began easing the pressure on us.

That's a straw man argument. I am not saying Davis is Alan Shearer I'm saying how is he supposed to score a goal from on the bench? Why is Watkins getting all of this unquestioned game time spurning chance after chance yet Davis is an awful player for not winning a match in the last 10 minutes? Give Davis 90 minutes every week he will equal Watkins goal tally. Personally I would put them both up front. I like them both I just think Smith is not using them as well as he could.

Without Watkins we’d be total shite for 90 minutes let alone just 45 like today. But I’m totally with you that the time has come to play both. Trez and Bert were a complete waste of time today and Watkins on his own versus 2 or 3 centre halves every week a great way to wreck him. Teams know if they cut him out, and they can never do it completely, we have nothing left now Jack’s off the pitch.

Fair enough but that’s not the point for me. We had worked hard to be free of relegation worries weeks ago and built a platform to play more relaxed football without relegation pressure. And yet we’ve deteriorated badly and it’s Dean’s job to improve a team not preside over it getting worse.

Agree performances have deteriorated but prefer to enjoy the fact that we’ve got the points in the bag rather than worrying about those we’ve lost. Give me this season to last in terms of points and overall performances any day of the week. The season as I’ve said before will be judged on 38 games, not the last 10/11.Mid table finish this season = clear progress despite the peaks and trough. Another point tonight towards achieving that.

Without Watkins we’d be total shite for 90 minutes let alone just 45 like today. But I’m totally with you that the time has come to play both. Trez and Bert were a complete waste of time today and Watkins on his own versus 2 or 3 centre halves every week a great way to wreck him. Teams know if they cut him out, and they can never do it completely, we have nothing left now Jack’s off the pitch.
the thing is we could have called that trez and Bert would be shite before KO. Bert has the odd few moments in-game where he does something flash and trez would be brilliant at Leeds , as I said well before ko Ollie vs 3 cb's doesn't work