The player who left thread | Page 349 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

In truth Smith got us relegated last season. We were saved by a VAR error against Sheffield United. This season Grealish improved and he has been worth 2 or 3 places in the league.

The final table doesn't lie. The if we're going on VAR cock ups then we'll have Lansburys goal vs Palace that was chalked off for nothing. That should leave us... 17th I think.

If this has been mentioned already apologies but its good to see Jack at the game despite every bluenose on social media saying he's in rehab for pill addiction. What a trooper.

Now we are safe, what is the aim for the rest of the season? With Jack gone next year, we'll be back as one of the relegation favourites if we don't find a different way to play. I'm not going to knock Ollie, but if Deano doesn't find a way to play that does not include him chasing around like a madman week in, week out, his legs will be gone in a year or two.

Jack's going nowhere. You really think he signed his new deal as we survived by the skin of our teeth thinking we'd be in the Champions League this season?

Jack's going nowhere. You really think he signed his new deal as we survived by the skin of our teeth thinking we'd be in the Champions League this season?

He'd have gone last summer if not for the lack of offers, he'll be gone this summer if the offer comes in. Players want to play at the top level. He signed for us when there were no concrete offers, no favour to us really, just to his bank balance (not a criticism, all players/all of us would do it) and there will be a release clause.

He'd have gone last summer if not for the lack of offers, he'll be gone this summer if the offer comes in. Players want to play at the top level. He signed for us when there were no concrete offers, no favour to us really, just to his bank balance (not a criticism, all players/all of us would do it) and there will be a release clause.

Smith even said there were no offers for him, so it was difficult for him to have gone!

COVID has been a god send for Villa, we were going down had we plodded on without the disruption, the forced break and change in everything helped us out big time. It was like being able to prepare for a mini season and re focus, which Bournemouth couldn’t do. Similarly, the cash involved in buying Jack was probably too much of a business risk last summer.

Jack might be a Villa boy, but he’s also got a hunger and determination that is bigger than Villa, unfortunately. He can stay and be a Shearer or a Le Tiss, or he can move on and win things which even the Millers and Barry’s managed to do.

It sounds like I’m accepting of him going which I’m not, we have to build on our first team to have any chance of keeping him. Would love to see Jack lead us out on the European stage sometime soon.

I think Jack going is completely down to us. If we pump another load of money into the team in the summer, we'll convince him to stay. If we don't, he'll go.

I think Jack going is completely down to us. If we pump another load of money into the team in the summer, we'll convince him to stay. If we don't, he'll go.

He signed a new 5-year deal because he wants to leave, pretty obvious we'll spend at least the TV money again, so there is little chance of him wanting to leave. Should we decide to sell Watkins Cash Martinez Konsa mings etc I think some may get their wish, then they can moan about ambition again

As for what Milner Barry and Young achieved, some medals and not one of them would get a mention in those clubs greatest players, in fact, Barry and Young have already been forgotten about by City and Utd fans.

I don't think whereas Le Tiss is a hero at Southampton and that might just mean a little be more to him than medals with some club he had no real feeling for or indeed had and feeling for him

Well we know wages will never be an issue for him at Villa. We can pay. He will start for England . That’s not an issue ( if he doesn’t then Southgate needs removing and that would be an opinion the football world would share). And because of his international status now I’m not sure the european league is :-
1 - the draw for SJ personally.
2- it’s an absolute bore fest and tired concept and barely registers . Is it a draw now ?

For me, for SJ, the question is trophies.

The only club in this country that guarantees you trophies is Citeh. The only clubs internationally are Bayern, Real or Barca.

If one of those 4 come in then yes. If it’s Manure, Dippers etc then he ain’t going to guarantee himself trophies .

Yes I am sure he will, but the point I am trying to make is that even with his vast experience in Germany and here, and his far better squad he still seems unable to get to the bottom of why Liverpool, who flattened everything in front of them last season, have slumped, just like we have, and he cant seem to do anything about it.

Frankly, our slump is mainly Jack related. Let him come back and that should go away.

Not so sure about that because in Jack last half a dozen games we didnt look that effective.
Maybe his injury meant he wasnt at full pace.

I am eagerly waiting for the day when I can be confident we can beat any team outside the top 6 without Jack. Does not look like it can happen with Dean in charge but for as long as he is here he can achieve that, so lets us wait to see what happens next season. I can accept if the plan is to work on improving parts of the team gradually each season, starting with the defence this season which we have successfully achieved. I hate seeing teams like Fulham and Brighton play good attractive football whereas we are praying for Jack to be back to look like we can.

I hope I'm wrong but something tells me Jack won't be back till the Fulham game in April. I wish DS would cut the bull shit and tell it as it is.
Yes, I'm not really into conspiracy theories but I have a feeling the club are not being completely straight about the injury. I am beginning to think it might be worse than we have been told.

If so, I really don't get the spin. Just say he's out for x many weeks and have done with it.

Of course, maybe he HAS been ill this week and they are telling it straight? :shrug:

Shin splints isn’t the easiest injury to call a time on, it’s not like a muscle tear. Nasty injury, come from nowhere

Those saying why would Jack sign a new contract if he wasn’t going anywhere ?

He’s a Villa boy, what does he benefit from it ? Well doubling his salary and a nice signing fee for starters, what do Villa gain from it ? Being in a stronger position to demand a bigger fee instead of having just a year left in the summer, Meaning we can bring in 3 top quality players in his place something that might of been agreed between him and Villa, he’d probably end back up at Villa in his later years after winning x amount of trophies.

The other like I say is we need to attract big players, we’ve shown what we’re actually capable of at the start of the season but the belief has dropped, we now need better players than McGinn and Traore/Trezeguet and we need a proper creative player in the middle, or a top quality left winger so Jack can orchestrate everything from the middle.

If he leaves I will totally understand, I hope we can match his ambition and start having him being wowed by our players instead of him tweeting how good Spurs players are doing all the time.