Match thread - Rotherham v Forest, must win ? | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match thread - Rotherham v Forest, must win ?

Where are we in comparison to previous relegation battles?

After 32 games in these seasons we had, and were;

2004-2005 29pts; 23rd, 6 points from safety

2008-2009 34pts; 19th, 4 points from relegation

2011-2012 31pts; 20th, 3 points from relegation

2016-2017 36pts; 17th, 7 points from relegation

We currently have 39pts, 10 from relegation.

So, we are ahead of every previous relegation battle of the last decade or so. We are 10 points ahead of where we were when we were actually relegated.

We are only 3 ahead of our closest call, in 2017, but that is more to do with just how badly we did in those last 14 games; it was literally only at the end of the season where relegation became a concern

We are currently well placed. 3 wins and 3 draws from 14 will so the trick. A draw at Derby and a win against Luton are prime candidates for ticking off two of those six results we need

That squad to me look like theyre thinking about attacking the top 6 not avoiding the bottom 3. You can see the confidence and togetherness.

Just got back.

But for the last 10 minutes I quite enjoyed that.

Christie has his best game so far, Murray is such an intelligent No9, the way he controls the ball and defenders, the way he runs the line, movement and positional sense are something I haven't seen in a striker at the CG for a while. I'd offer him another season, 10-12 games out of him, could be a huge difference.

The corners of Yates' orb need filing down, so the ball goes can finish up where intended but he played very well.

Taylor? I still can't believe he managed to pick out the one defender at the death and it's sad to say that I'm not sure he's not good enough if we are looking to push on next season.

Freeman was better, but still short of what I am expecting.

Was it enough to worry the sheep, who'll all be shaving themselves in frothing ovine delight after their win last night? No, but I like that.

Last edited:
was an unwanted old player from a relagated side who wasnt wanted and we gave him a fortune to come have an easy life. Was pathetic from day one
While Bournemouth were relegated, Arter was playing for Fulham and helping them win promotion.

The fact that he was a very good player at this level is why he has been such a disappointment.

Taylor is a bit of a Brett Ormerod or Dele Adebola character.

A really useful forward player who will contribute well over the season and chip in with some important goals and performances.

But no one imagines they could follow us up if we achieved the objective, and if they ended up being your only main striker you might be in trouble

Cafu was gash. His first touch is appalling.

You two have clearly never played at the level Mappz and I have.

Infadels.

People slagging off Freeman need to look at the pile of shit behind him, and guess who to the side of him? Yep, Cafu.

We played with 9 soldiers and 2 passengers last night that fortunately got in the way, the same way you 2 did when you got picked last at school.

We will certainly be in a great position this summer to clear out a lot of loans and unwanted contracts. They key is if the club can, or want to try and offload the following contracts
Arter, Colback, Bong, Jenks, Bachirou and even Grabs and Cafu. Personally I think we are stuck with Bong, Jenks and Cafu, as the rest can be sold on.

Will we try and buy or re-loan Krov, Knocks and Garner? These will be sizeable fees and loan fees in the case of Garner
Offer Ameobi another year
Re-integrate Ioannu?

Brennan is back and goes into the match day squad. Lot's of interesting decisions to make before deciding who to purchase and loan in. We should focus on early work to finally get rid of the average players in this bloated squad

Assuming all of the loans go back and the contracts of Dawson, Hefele and Dialo are run down, and the transfers of Da Costa, Ioannou and Carvalho are completed, we will be down to a squad of 20 players which excludes youngsters like Mighten, Johnson, Soh and Fornah - they do not have to be included in the 25 man squad.

Then there are the contracts of Ribiero and Sow to look at, both of which are up in June; both can go for me, Ribeiro is just not strong enough and prone to lapses of concentration and Sow is incredibly bad value - his injury situation means he only plays one game in every two, gets booked in half of those, puts in one good performance in five, and is generally an accident waiting to happen.

Ameobi's contract is up but I would definitely be offering him at least one more season.

Regardless of who we have in mind as transfer targets I would be offering Murray another year; get 15 to 20 games out of him and 5 or 6 goals, which is not beyond the realms of fantasy, and he is well worth it.

Then we have the players with a year left on their contracts:

Jenkinson can go for me; the problem will be finding him a Club who will pay him what he is on - I certainly would not want to be paying his contract up, it is too costly a way of doing business and brings us one step closer to having to sell a promising youngster.

I just cannot see Hughton wanting Bong to leave; he is not the best full back but will be fine as cover.

Blackett and Bachirou will have one year remaining; I can see Hughton keeping Blackett and letting Bachirou go; he will not be on a great wage and should have little trouble finding a Club.

Which leaves Grabban; usually I would be against getting rid of a player like him but it does look like age is catching up with him and he has shown little signs of getting over the exertions of last season.

If Lamouchi is still keen on signing him, maybe there is a deal to be done; sell Grabban and Carvalho and maybe there will be no need for Worrall to go.

Figueredo has a year remaining on his contract; I would not want to be moving him on unless we have a suitable replacement.

Then there is Arter; if the rumours are correct that he wants out and the Club want him gone, it will be difficult for him to stay; if only he was not on such a good deal.

That potentially leaves us with a squad of 14 players plus Mighten, Johnson, Fornah, Soh and Swann.

That would be a very good starting position for Hughton to put together a squad capable of promotion.

Built some raised beds chaps. Not sure what veg to put in.

Been there done that, my top tip is don't get fancy, grow the stuff you're sure you are gonna eat.
Potatoes, onions, garlic and the like. Don't be messing with exotic, foreign shite as our climate isn't stable enough. Runner beans are so easy too, as are peas. Courgettes are quite easy but they sound all Frenchy.

Buy a tub of that pelletised rooster shit too; it works wonders in fertilising the soil.

Have fun.

Infadels.

People slagging off Freeman need to look at the pile of shit behind him, and guess who to the side of him? Yep, Cafu.

We played with 9 soldiers and 2 passengers last night that fortunately got in the way, the same way you 2 did when you got picked last at school.

That must have been one hell of a culture shock for Cafu last night; he did not fancy that from the first whistle onwards.

Hiding for the entire 90 minutes takes some doing, but he managed it with some comfort.

You can see why Hughton did not pick Ribeiro either; he would have ended up as road kill.

Taylor I think was all set to take it to the corner and then he all of a sudden had 2 players to pass to and fluffed it, he definitely helped see the game out though but he should have made more of that situation.

Yes . It was easier to hit our own players

Taylor and blackett are useful subs to see out games.

Fair play to Yates he fought hard. It's horrible to see a young man get so much abuse from idiots. Hes a good lad.

Infadels.

Owd infadels