Here we go! | Page 185 | Vital Football

Here we go!

Peter Tiede, chief political reporter for Bild, the German daily...

Oh, how we Germans made fun of those strange Brexit birds with the weird Euro-populist Boris Johnson at their head. Marching out of the EU. Ridiculous! Well, they’ll soon see what they’re left with. Without Europe. All alone.

Now we see it. All of us — 83 million Germans, and all of Europe — undersupplied with vaccines, left lagging behind not only the US and Canada but also Britain! Of all the people, it was Johnson who got it right: he ordered vaccines for the British in time, generously and sufficiently. In surplus!

And we? We have done everything wrong and are struggling with a vaccination disaster. Germany, of all countries! Industrial power, clever nation, kings of cleanliness and order. We screwed up. We ordered too little, too late. We were too stingy, too lame. As a result, Poland and Hungary are already wondering what on earth the EU is all about.

In Germany, vaccination appointments for the elderly have had to be cancelled, if they actually got any at all. There is chaos in the land of order. We are confused. Self-doubt leads to anger: we will not have vaccinated 70 per cent of Germans before the autumn. And that is the best-case scenario.

This is devastating on a human level for the people who urgently need the vaccine and for those who will die because they did not get it in time. It’s also devastating on a political level: the US launched the biggest vaccine procurement programme in history last April and the UK started ordering soon after that. Johnson negotiated as tough as nails and paid well for them.

And what did the EU do? It created the biggest confidence-destroying programme in its history. On top of this, Brussels and the governments of the EU states have managed to confirm the old prejudice of a sluggish Europe. Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission president, denies all blame. Whistling loudly in the dark and thus damaging even further any confidence in her ability to run the EU. Music to the ears of the populists and anti-democrats.

Von der Leyen started a dispute with the vaccine supplier Astrazeneca, which was supposed to look daredevilish but was just dumb. She has disgraced Europe.

As Germany’s defence minister, she had already failed miserably in the procurement of helicopters, aircraft and weapons. Angela Merkel ordered her away to the European Commission. Just as Europe has been doing for decades with its discarded political personnel: disposed of like nuclear waste in the final repository of Brussels. That is the story that Johnson has told the British again and again. He, the European populist. Now, we agree with him.

Worse still, Von der Leyen has either knowingly lied to 447 million Europeans or didn’t know what she was talking about. Both are intolerable.

The EU’s contract with Astrazeneca reveals that the commission negotiated badly and did not secure any binding rights. It did not do what it is supposed to do: take care of our Europe. And our 27 governments either did not intervene or intervened too late.

The contract with Astrazeneca and the vaccination disaster are a declaration of bankruptcy for Brussels, an indictment of the 27 member states. An insult for us Europeans and especially for convinced Europeans like me. And the fact that we in Germany can only vaccinate at a snail’s pace, that we are left behind by countries like Bahrain or the United Arab Emirates, is our humiliation. Especially when we look at the island that once belonged to our EU.

It is embarrassing because now we are the fools.

Bild is garbage news. It is a mixture of the daily sport, the sun, mail & express. When I first came to Germany my language tutor advised me to read it to help my learning. Well I quickly learnt it was not fit enough to be used in a toilet paper emergency situation.

TBF this was an article from a couple of weeks' ago, so it maybe out of date regarding figures.

It is out of date. The current projection is for all Germans to be given the first jab by September. I could have pulled a strett and said vaccinated but my turd polishing skills are not at that level.

Which, considering that the German population is circa +20m that Blighty, who's same target is July, is not bad considering the pish poor start.

What’s the story being peddled in Germany about AZ side effects and people refusing the AZ jab. Certainly in France with Macron rubbishing the jab people are not attending appointments. Also has the media caught on to the recovery bonds not being anywhere near enough and the German tax payer is going to have to pay Italian workers to go on holiday. Christine Lagarde will be trying to sell a dead horse later today.

Bild is garbage news. It is a mixture of the daily sport, the sun, mail & express. When I first came to Germany my language tutor advised me to read it to help my learning. Well I quickly learnt it was not fit enough to be used in a toilet paper emergency situation.

BZ or Bild is still by far the most read paper in Germany. It is held with a reasonable level of scepticism by the populace as are all yellow sheets, but it is seen as holding the ministers to account as it is not in any minister or parties pocket. To label it like our Sun or Mail is doing it a disservice as it is not the mouthpiece of any Murdoch type Baron.

BZ or Bild is still by far the most read paper in Germany. It is held with a reasonable level of scepticism by the populace as are all yellow sheets, but it is seen as holding the ministers to account as it is not in any minister or parties pocket. To label it like our Sun or Mail is doing it a disservice as it is not the mouthpiece of any Murdoch type Baron.

Readership numbers is no indicator of journalistic quality. It's still a garbage newspaper that likes to sensationalise stories just like the sun and mail. It is also known to produce articles that wouldn't go amiss in the daily sport.

Readership numbers is no indicator of journalistic quality. It's still a garbage newspaper that likes to sensationalise stories just like the sun and mail. It is also known to produce articles that wouldn't go amiss in the daily sport.

"Ursula Von Der Leyen aß meinen hamster"

Yep, most likley, we are even considering opening another business name in the Uk, basically a box with a London address, tho could be in Gibraltar perhaps. Im still not clear on many things, I have clients orders sitting here not yet being posted cos Im concerned what they will get charged and not wish to collect the packages. Such a mess. Seems they can refuse to pay and collect and be due a refund but the customer still owes the 'customs fees'. I dont want to be in a situation of doing refunds as weve uusually spent the money already. Its all a lose lose situation at the moment

Yep, most likley, we are even considering opening another business name in the Uk, basically a box with a London address, tho could be in Gibraltar perhaps. Im still not clear on many things, I have clients orders sitting here not yet being posted cos Im concerned what they will get charged and not wish to collect the packages. Such a mess. Seems they can refuse to pay and collect and be due a refund but the customer still owes the 'customs fees'. I dont want to be in a situation of doing refunds as weve uusually spent the money already. Its all a lose lose situation at the moment
Sorry Paz. You must be wrong because Stretts says everything is going swimmingly.

Why do they need to reciprocate? What's in it for them or their members?

To maintain that access to our markets? To show they're not just being ***** because we left? To do the decent thing to their ally and 'friend'? To be treated the same as most other non-EU countries when it comes to financial services?

To maintain that access to our markets? To show they're not just being ***** because we left? To do the decent thing to their ally and 'friend'? To be treated the same as most other non-EU countries when it comes to financial services?

You've given four reasons there, and only one is in the interest of the big economic block you voted to leave.

What planet are you on that you think "To show they're not just being ***** because we left" would ever be a consideration of any nation ever?

Surely your brexit vote wasn't this naive?

You've given four reasons there, and only one is in the interest of the big economic block you voted to leave.

What planet are you on that you think "To show they're not just being ***** because we left" would ever be a consideration of any nation ever?

Surely your brexit vote wasn't this naive?

Pope, I'm really not getting into a discussion with you. I used it to show that it's possible they are actually being ***** and wanting to punish us.

So just use the first one then, ay? And also accept that Brexit hasn't stopped them trading properly in the UK.

Pope, I'm really not getting into a discussion with you. I used it to show that it's possible they are actually being ***** and wanting to punish us.

So just use the first one then, ay? And also accept that Brexit hasn't stopped them trading properly in the UK.
We are competitors. You voted to make us competitors. You say you knew exactly what you were voting for. Here you go. Enjoy