Cowley and Dons? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Cowley and Dons?

Danny is waiting for the right opportunity, and AFCW is not it for a dozen reasons. Never forget that he is an intelligent man; as collingham says, he is better versed in the ways of football chairmen and their machinations than when he left us, so the likes of Sheffield Wednesday should be off his agenda. Ipswich and Charlton must be very high on his list of targets.

And don't forget the Sunderland job will be available again in 5 months or so. This time I suspect Danny and Nicky will be able to dictate their own terms for that one a little more...

To concur with what some others have said, Ipswich, Ipswich and if anyone is in doubt Ipswich. Oh Ipswich could be their next port of call and if they feel like it Ipswich.

Geography
Patient Chairman
Infrastructure
Massive Potential to grow and develop a Championship style of play
Finances
Below their current expected level
Disenfranchised but passionate support base to reinvigorate
Can have a look at the squad if Lambert gets sacked in a few weeks time. Alternatively take over if he gets sacked at the end of the season

Wimbledon do not tick a single box. The Cowleys 'know where they are heading' and nothing is going to stop them trying to get there.

If they don't go to Ipswich it will be because the Chairman doesn't want them or they get a better offer elsewhere but I can't realistically really think of a better suited club currently.

Except somebody giving them a job.

As myself and @mikeosullivan have been pointing out.
Yep that's their gamble to take. The question of whether they have to lower their sights will be answered soon enough.

I still reckon they'll hold out for Lambert to be sacked and if they don't get that job the current debate will move on quickly one way or the other I imagine.

This is a bit like the MA thread after the Southend game. If we look back in a while when their next job, (Wimbledon, Ipswich, Grimsby or Lincoln United) is revealed some of us can have an I told you so moment.

My money is it could be Ipswich or similar, it won't be Wimbledon.

Their ideal would be a Championship club with a really good Chairman and there aren't many of them, not until next season anyway.

I agree Ipswich is the perfect job, but depends on the club’s progress. If Lambert somehow manages to get them promoted I doubt he’ll get the push. If they are struggling to make the POs with 10 or 15 games to go maybe the writing is on the wall for Lambert. It may not be enough for DC/NC to get them promoted but after two seasons failures I reckon the Cowleys would be a better bet given their track record plus they now have Championship experience.

Here’s a question for you:

Would you have Danny And Nicky back at the bank if we get promoted at the end of this season and MA gets made an offer he can’t resist by a Premiership or top Championship side?

Here’s a question for you:

Would you have Danny And Nicky back at the bank if we get promoted at the end of this season and MA gets made an offer he can’t resist by a Premiership or top Championship side?

Yes, I would.

The more interesting question, even more hypothetical, is would you rather have them right now or Appleton?

Yes, I would.

The more interesting question, even more hypothetical, is would you rather have them right now or Appleton?
Appleton, without a doubt.

What the Cowleys achieved was fantastic, the best years of my time as an Imps supporter. The infrastructure established in those years laid the foundations MA, JG et al are now building on. The change in brief from the board which essentially led the Cowleys to move on and the careful recruitment of MA to execute that brief is now reaping dividends beyond anyone's imaginings.

The Cowleys Project is now most definitely the Appleton Project. The more I see, the more I think MA is a Premiership manager/head coach in the making either by direct appointment or a promotion, the likes of West Brom are surely going to be circling sooner or later.

So, like the Cowleys, MA will sooner or later want to test himself with a new challenge and move on. Older, wiser, building on the superstructure on their original foundations, I'd then have the Cowleys back like a shot - if available.

But like Brisimp, it's really not something we want to think about, is it?

Whoever come’s next would surely have to be like minded to MA. We can’t go through another complete change of direction you would think.

Whoever come’s next would surely have to be like minded to MA. We can’t go through another complete change of direction you would think.
I agree, something along the 'Crewe model' years ago where young players are developed and sold for a biggish profit, whilst hopefully maintaining Tier 2 status. If we happen to dip back to Tier 3, we bounce back quickly.

I just hope we get to see Appleton's Imps at our present best in the flesh, before he is snapped up by West Brom or whoever, which is inevitable.

I can't believe anyone thinks that a struggling club with huge financial commitments, no money for players and a tiny fanbase is the right club for Danny Cowley. It isn't even the same club he played for.

In my opinion, AFCW could be the first FL club to go under. Is Danny really the right man for that job?

I can't believe anyone thinks that a struggling club with huge financial commitments, no money for players and a tiny fanbase is the right club for Danny Cowley. It isn't even the same club he played for.

In my opinion, AFCW could be the first FL club to go under. Is Danny really the right man for that job?
There is very, very little to appeal to Danny.

It's also a club which has very little potential for fanbase growth. Yes there is a large population in SW London, but as someone who lived not far away for a few years, the locals tend to follow Rugby/Chelsea/other prem clubs/no interest in sport. There isn't the same community feel you have here so I wouldn't expect to see the same resurgence we had.

And while Wimbledon as they were managed to get to the first tier in the late 80s, they had only joined the FL a decade before, having been a non-League side for the vast majority of their history. They were minnows in the top flight and as soon as the money started flowing into the Prem they went down. there's no way they would be able to repeat it nowadays. This is pretty much their natural level these days.