Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Rogers is 18. It’s his first pro start excluding 23s which I will because the pizza trophy isn’t full intensity men’s football. He’ll learn so much, so quickly in terms of movement and decisions.

One thing I wish happened is that all fans had to play at least a 5 a side game before the season to understand how hard it can be to play football in terms of movement and decisions. It takes time and experience which as a young player you don’t have yet.

I thought we were a bit short in midfield and the substitution changed that. Johnson was able to get into the game a lot more afterwards but maybe Rogers could have too if he'd stayed on. Having them both wasn't working tbf.

Rogers did show some flashes of ability but in the wrong place. I'm sure he'll be more effective with games.

I thought we were a bit short in midfield and the substitution changed that.

Rogers did show some flashes of ability but in the wrong place. I'm sure he'll be more effective with games.
I agree with that, I was saying to the dog at half-time that McGrandles would be a good change for Rogers. Northampton's high energy approach in the first half needed a midfielder in front of Bridcutt, and Rogers was not that player. They were always going to tire, and I was confident of a win despite the time we took to open the scoring. Northampton really created nothing until stoppage time, and even then it took a great effort to score. A hard-fought win, but a sound one.

We deserved the three points for our second half showing, Cobblers had more of the ball in the first half without really doing much with it, and were generally much better than at Sixfields playing some decent footy too. I thought Bolger had a very good game for them with some very important last ditch tackles and blocks.

Happy to get the points which will stand us in good stead for the difficult challenges ahead over the next few games.

Worth the experiment today of seeing how Rogers would fare, but the very attacking line up didn't quite gel and it was only when that extra midfield bod came on that we started to play that bit better. Rogers though is only 18 so to expect too much too soon is unfair.

I agree with that, I was saying to the dog at half-time that McGrandles would be a good change for Rogers. Northampton's high energy approach in the first half needed a midfielder in front of Bridcutt, and Rogers was not that player. They were always going to tire, and I was confident of a win despite the time we took to open the scoring. Northampton really created nothing until stoppage time, and even then it took a great effort to score. A hard-fought win, but a sound one.
Can you share with us the dogs opinion on this? I presume he supports Lincoln because they win a lot.

I thought we rode our luck a bit today. We were the better side second half, but could have lost with Northampton hitting the post, having a very decent penalty shout, and scoring a wonder goal.

Rogers showed there is still a very big gap between under 23 football and this level. Its very early days of course, but I'm not sure he is ahead of Anderson, Jones or McGrandles for a starting place on what I've seen so far.

Big test the next three games with Portsmouth, Doncaster, and Hull. So we definitely needed the three points today!

Michael commented in his post match interview that the ground was a bit ‘lively’ today- I thought it didn’t give the players much confidence when on the ball. Just watched the Portsmouth highlights and their pitch looks like ours but early season!! Should suit us much better on Tuesday.

We're top of the form guide for the last 10 games.
First double of the season, even better it's against Keith Curle.
Scully has 4 in his last 5 league games.
Our great form against teams in the bottom 6 continues.

Wins like today are the ones that gain you promotion.

Not been able to see or hear the game today. From a brief glance at the thread, it appears that MAPP has had a little look at different options. Could be a very important 3 points when it possibly could have been a draw. Shame Hull added 4 to their GD but 3 clear of third is a very happy place. Tuesday is going to be such a huge game. Can’t wait.

A great 3 points showing again we find a way to get the win. This squad has character!

I thought we put out a team to unlock a defensive Northampton with Johnson and grant in cm but they came to battle and won the midfield fight for most of the first half. We did make the best chances still and turned it back in our favour 2nd half but as soon as McG came on we dominated.

We talk a lot about Grant's contract but with the way he's been playing, and scoring, I hope we get Scully on a long-term contract soon. He's really flourished with a run of games and become a key player.