Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Very hard fought win. Northampton were poorer second half but v. competitive first and we had a few heart in mouth moments.

Good to see we can win games in different ways, as we have in the two fixtures against them.

Edun/Eyoma both brilliant.

Can't argue with that goal.

Northampton didn't deserve to get anything from the game, allbeit that they were much, much better than they were last time out, even if it was primarily for the first 30 minutes.

Brilliant goal for them you have to say but a well ground out 3 points for us. Often those wins are what you need rather than the 4 or 5 nilers.

Onto Pompey now

Wonder why Rose doesn't start for them cos first half I was thinking they'd battled well but one thing was they were lacking a bit of quality

Based on last ten he had it.

Well played Northampton. Belied there lowly position in the table but we're not up there for nothing, and we had too much for them in the end.

In some ways the most satisfying win of the season. A hard battling win against a much improved Northampton who ran around like it was their cup final. Imps showed great maturity, didn't panic and took the game with a couple of well worked goals. Not at our most fluent and credit to Northampton for that, but the mark of a good team who know their system to come through and win.

Great to get the win in the bag after such a long break and COVID issues. Thought the two full backs were excellent. Edun getting better and better after Appleton publicly said no one has put their stamp on left back position, excellent man management?

Their goal was bloody superb. Puskas award stuff! Clean sheet would have been great but got to applaud and be thankful we were already 2 up!

On to a massive game Tuesday!

Conceding in the last seconds might not be a bad thing, no doubt MApp will give them a rocket and they will need to be fired up Tuesday as Portsmouth certainly will be after losing 4-0

FT. Much improved Northampton from the first game. They pressed and chased the ball for the whole game and made life very difficult for us. I think we looked a bit under the weather, though we got a bit of our passing game going in the second half and did enough to win with two good goals. Great finishing goal for Northampton at the death. For me Edun was MoM. His passing was excellent and he played all over the pitch and laid on a superb cross for the first goal. Bring on the wounded Portsmouth (0 - 4 Ouch 😳😳😳😳). That will be a huge test but with our away record we might just catch them trying too hard to win 🤞.

Keith Curle says,

"We was robbed. We played them off the park in the first half. We should have had a penalty and we hit the post. I thought the boys were brilliant. A captain's performance from Cian, but we bossed it all over the park. I am really disappointed and Lincoln know that they got away with that game."

I'll give Cian the Captain's performance, but the result was a fair one and everything else is just drinking Trump's Wine (its made from sour grapes).

better second half - opposition definitely tire themselves out doing a pressing job on us for the first 45. generally made hard work of it. but three points when playing below best is a great sign.

they produced the two best bits of skill in the whole match - in injury time, shame they lacked ambition for the rest of it.
scully's goal turned out to be so important. and that was clever play from hopper... great pass to pick scully out when one on one, something we have been lacking when scully, johnson, howarth etc etc have been put through in recent games.

will have to play considerably better than that to get anything from portsmouth.

uti

That was a rollercoaster second half. Pleased to have shared it with you. I’d preferred to be rocking in the coop but as an exile this will be best. Got my eldest daughter home since Christmas so we are all doting on her. I’m off to cook a chili with garlic bread.

Personally i’m worried sick about my mum whose in a nursing home Back in Lincolnshire. Just been diagnosed positive with Covid. Haven’t been able to see her for a year. 😞 She’s 84.

Last edited:
3 points from a game we should have won on paper. But we had a bit of luck, as Northampton came very close to scoring a couple of times in the 2nd half. It was our high energy game though that just wore them down and the last 20 minutes we opened them up. Good games for Hopper, Edun, Jackson and Walsh for me. Bridcut making some timely clean tackles in the 2nd half. A decent performance all round really.