Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

I doubt he has the preparation of a Bill McLaren, John Motson or Barry Davies.
His heavy breathing is off putting too and Thommo was making some very strange noises too.

The question is not whether he is a good radio presenter, or producer. I have no idea, I've never heard any of his programmes.

He is, however, the worst football commentator I have ever heard. And that is a field with a huge number of contenders.

If I can't get the opponent's commentary I just mute it if he's on.

Steve Thompson is also a likeable personality, but it's clear that both of them just turn up with no preparation whatsoever.
Seems fairly obvious that for example if Thommo isn’t at the game he makes no attempt to watch (actually sounds like Hone is the same). Doesn’t even sound like they watch the general highlights to have an idea on the opposition play !

I know Radio Lincolnshire aren't a sporting broadcasting giant but I do have a wry smile when I hear Ally McCoist referencing the forty page stat. packs he has to read on the way to the matches he is due to provide commentary on.

You are being unnecessarily unkind.His main job is being a very successful programme editor at a very successful and highly competent local BBC station which delivers a fantastic service to its audience.
His ‘extra’ job as match commentator is where he falls down. Yesterday his lack of knowledge of any of the Northampton players bar Bolger just wasn’t good enough when he knew the commentary was the only option for both sets of fans on ifollow.

I like him too. He does a great job.

‘Hounded out’. Good grief. He’s simply a terrible commentator, which I didn’t really give a monkeys about when we were able to watch games live, but now we’re paying to listen to his dirge you’d at least think he’d make an effort to read up on the opposition. I knew who many of the Northampton players were, and I manage to know that whilst holding up a full time job.

He excelled himself yesterday by not even getting Lincoln players right.

Good, hard fought win though after a slow start. Tom Hopper and Tayo Edun excellent again.
In additional in the first half when we eventually started to put two passes together didn’t he get a bit over excited? I nearly commented on here at half time that if we score, Hortin might actually explode! Thankfully he calmed down at half time. Maybe he’s related to Paul Taylor in how he gets his players mixed up....

Lots of people I know in Lincoln love Michael Hortin’s various presentations on Radio Lincolnshire. I believe his pirate gold programme/feature has helped make lockdown easier for many people.

I certainly have enjoyed Hope and Glory while heading up to Lincoln for matches; and still do. With regard to commentary, the verbage? and entertainment from him and Tommo is great. I guess I am not quite as bothered about getting names wrong as others and I have become accepting of the “Hortinisms“.

Some commentators are brilliant at name retention, others need notes for the entire game. Maybe Michael could be encouraged to try the latter. I would not wish to see Hortin hounded out, to be replaced by some monosyllabic football guru, who learned the names perfectly and knew where each opposition player was born, their career history, mother’s maiden name, and what they had had for breakfast.

I also usually listen to part of the game with the opposition commentary. Sometimes it is better, quite often it is worse; it is generally more critical but seldom is it as entertaining.

Hortin got away with it before Covid because most of us were at the game..........or could only hear the game on the radio so we would not have known that kept getting the games wrong nor that a situation was happening when he does his long Ahhhhs in disappointment.

Problem for him is that now we can see the game we can also see he gets names wrong, doesn't commentate on half the game, instead just giving us reactions, is incredibly biased and I can only assume gets bored watching preferring to "rib" Thommo all the time instead.

So if not for Covid, I daresay we would never have known how bad he was.

I also have no idea why ifollow have decided to remove the "no commentary" option.

He is, however, the worst football commentator I have ever heard. And that is a field with a huge number of contenders.
That can't be correct, it wasn't long ago that everyone was asking the club to replace their own ifollow commentators with the professional ones from Radio Lincolnshire. As an away supporters I would be dissapointed but for us I don't think he's that bad, not great but does a reasonable job.

That can't be correct, it wasn't long ago that everyone was asking the club to replace their own ifollow commentators with the professional ones from Radio Lincolnshire. As an away supporters I would be dissapointed but for us I don't think he's that bad, not great but does a reasonable job.

Trading Chris A's "It's bad goalkeepering is that" for Thommo's "I'm all for risk and safety" (yesterday, wtf?) is a trade I'm willing to make, but only just...

Hortin got away with it before Covid because most of us were at the game..........or could only hear the game on the radio so we would not have known that kept getting the games wrong nor that a situation was happening when he does his long Ahhhhs in disappointment.

Problem for him is that now we can see the game we can also see he gets names wrong, doesn't commentate on half the game, instead just giving us reactions, is incredibly biased and I can only assume gets bored watching preferring to "rib" Thommo all the time instead.

So if not for Covid, I daresay we would never have known how bad he was.

I also have no idea why ifollow have decided to remove the "no commentary" option.
i already knew

Suspect we'll revert to Scully wider with Grant further up the pitch and McGrandles/Jones back in for Portsmouth.

Out of the three games this week, this was the best game to put Rogers in.

On Rogers, MAP said in his post-match interview that he was surprised that Northampton lined up 4-3-3, as he was expecting them to play 3 at the back (which is their normal line up). Rogers would have had more freedom to get in behind an advanced wing-back and run in behind the back three, so maybe Keith Curle did as much to make the game harder for us and Rogers and therefore effect his performance.

All good learning for the lad and I am sure he will continue to step up.

On Hortin, it wasn't just TJ and Edun, or TJ and Scully he got wrong. He called Walsh 'Welsh' twice and then congratulated Jackson for one of his clearances. I get that they are both tall, play at the back and have dark hair, but the fact that one has a beard and the other doesn't does make it reasonably easy to tell them apart. He also waxed lyrically about Grant when he mistook Johnson for him.

I think if Jesus was playing, he would probably call him Budha and talk about how good at cricket he must be with his eight arms.

radio lincs commentary is what it is... i think some are expecting too much (although i agree they should have put more effort in on Saturday knowing NT fans would be using their commentary)...

Im not sure if this has been discussed on here much before, but the prematch show provided by LCFC that i watch via facebook is surprisingly excellent. Not sure the presenters name (Sam...) but he is really good as is the Stacey West guy. They get some good interviews on too.

radio lincs commentary is what it is... i think some are expecting too much (although i agree they should have put more effort in on Saturday knowing NT fans would be using their commentary)...

Im not sure if this has been discussed on here much before, but the prematch show provided by LCFC that i watch via facebook is surprisingly excellent. Not sure the presenters name (Sam...) but he is really good as is the Stacey West guy. They get some good interviews on too.
Agreed re Prematch Show. I’ve taken to watching this now instead of the pre-matchblurb on Radio Lincs. It’s good to see Alan Long with the team news as well. Question - Does anyone know how to post comments while they are on air - do you have to do it via the LCFC site?

I only go to around 4 or 5 away games a season so have had to enjoy/endure his commentary for many years.
I stopped listening for a spell until the Cowleys arrived as the football wasn't much better than the commentary lol!
He's a good presenter and does a very good documentary type programme but he clearly isn't a commentator, I should think a lot of it is due to the fact they can't afford a bigger sports team as Rob Underwood has left.
Just wish he'd do a bit of research and maybe take a second to watch the game in front of him.

On Hortin, it wasn't just TJ and Edun, or TJ and Scully he got wrong. He called Walsh 'Welsh' twice and then congratulated Jackson for one of his clearances. I get that they are both tall, play at the back and have dark hair, but the fact that one has a beard and the other doesn't does make it reasonably easy to tell them apart. He also waxed lyrically about Grant when he mistook Johnson for him.

I think if Jesus was playing, he would probably call him Budha and talk about how good at cricket he must be with his eight arms.
And not to mention Walsh wears distinctive bright yellow glow in the dark fluorescent boots. Jackson wears black boots.

Agreed re Prematch Show. I’ve taken to watching this now instead of the pre-matchblurb on Radio Lincs. Does anyone know how to post comments while they are on air - do you have to do it via the LCFC site?

I watch it on Facebook so can do comments that way.