Aston Villa v Newcastle United Match Thread (Sat 23) | Page 6 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle United Match Thread (Sat 23)

Here’s my shout:

Usual back 5
.....................Luiz
Bert...Barkley....Jack....El Ghazi
....................Ollie

Not really a 4-1-4-1, more one of Ross or Jack support Ollie, and the other keeps shape.

I think El Ghazi will be in for Traore. Ramsey in for Mcginn. The closer I get to this the more I've a horrible feeling we'll lose late on to a jammy/wonder goal.

I think El Ghazi will be in for Traore. Ramsey in for Mcginn. The closer I get to this the more I've a horrible feeling we'll lose late on to a jammy/wonder goal.

Yes, sounds like Ramsey is in his thoughts, there is good logic to drop Ramsey in to not tweak the shape, as my selection could see is caught out in the middle of midfield and we haven’t really been overrun in the middle in that many games - Leeds maybe the only one?

all far too easy isn't it, everything points to a Villa win and we all know what normally happens

Bert has been shit over the last few weeks, but against the poorer sides I think he’s better on the pitch than off it. He’ll get the ball and have more time on it.

retaining the 4-2-3-1 makes sense I suppose. suss them out and if we can't find a way through bring on an extra attacker

I think he's fine to be honest. And he'll be better in a far better team than he was in last season.

My biggest problem is that’s a bit negative, I think we could’ve been a bit more ballsy. Marv will just get in Luiz’s way, I suspect Luiz will push up a little but we could end up with two holding players which is sort of our formation this season but SJM can get up unlike Marv.

Secondly, I think Marv is under par for what we need in this league.