US Politics Thread | Page 573 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

The main concern with big tech is monopoly and there's undeniable harm propagated by these platforms which they do very little to address outside of obvious edge cases like Trump (which arguably came too late in the day). Having worked at one of the biggest companies in this space I've seen how driving key metrics such as engagement (clicks, likes, time spent watching videos) comes above most ethical concerns.

However when it comes to banning individuals, as many have pointed out, that is totally the right of that specific platform as outlined in their terms and conditions of usage. Free speech really has nothing to do with it.

The Americans are being weally weally nasty to the poor ickle terrorists, how can you be sooo cruelll ... all they did was ... oh you get the sarcastic tone...!

Dont like it when it is turned on them do they?

Only point I would make is the fault isn't always with the ignorant like some of those people, it is with the leader and the lack of education.

And, in this case, Twitter and maybe others (I don't know about) should have acted quicker to deal with this maniacs rantings but profits came first (and the ban now is cynical and them trying to show themselves to be the bastions of good practice)

To these people, their commander in chief called them to arms, they are so misinformed - and some so disaffected - that they responded.

It would be very unfortunate if they are all lambasted, imprisoned and fined IF their leader isn't.

That isn't to say they shouldn't, it is to say Trump HAS TO BE ... if not, the system, once again, will stink.

It's interesting I've seen two camps pop up now Re: Punishment.

1. Persecution to the fullest extent of the law
2. Basically catch more bee's with honey

The best argument for #1 I saw came from a historian on Twitter. He went back through Americas troubled history essentially saying we're brought to this point because whackos and threats were never persecuted to begin with. Instead, they were actually given a voice. e.g. Pat Buchanan.
I don't want to go with the race thing ago but my GF and her family have told me about what white people are really like in America. The GFs dad is a former undercover cop turned lawyer. He is incredibly well respected in Atlanta and is retiring this year. He has a seat on the Anti-Defamation League.
When they stormed the capitol his voice on the phone was a mix of fear and anger. He also said its not over and that they need to be ready to move.
Anyway the big thing I keep picking up is the 'privilege'. They are never told no, there are no consequences to much of their poor behaviour and the fact that they get away with so much emboldens them.

Argument #2 is naturally the conservatives leaning people, particularly men who are 'strong' men and 'traditional' men. Saying that America was lucky real men didnt show up and that these people are just pussies and fat overweight people. They said if real men had shown up there would have been murder. They argued that villainizing men who have nothing and villainizing men just because they are conservative, white, republican etc. will push them to the edge of society. There argument is that a man with nothing to lose is the most dangerous animal on the planet. This guy was saying a lot of men have no future, no woman, no children. Even men who have children unless they have daughters they are dangerous.

I am just sitting here like dude, in your attempt to make me feel a little compassion you are telling me I should lock up these animals because you are demonizing them too. What are we supposed to do assign them women? Make them have a daughter? Craziness going on in the world now.

They are never told no, there are no consequences to much of their poor behaviour and the fact that they get away with so much emboldens them.

This is it! This is exactly it. These white christian men have never been told no a day in their life and have gotten away with everything they've ever done. There are generations of entitlement inbred in them. They think they are Billy Badass and can do whatever they want. They are also fluent in "whatboutisms", in fact when they are questioned by anyone for anything they may have done that is exactly how they respond and how they get out of it. Now they are scared because people are starting to hold them accountable for their actions and they do not like it one bit.

I follow Rebecca Solnit on Facebook and she posts some very interesting articles about all this from a left-ish point of view.

One point made is that on alot of these issues they should not and cannot be sorted out by compromise with Trump's people.

You can't quell say flat Earthers by agreeing that the Earth is a roundy-flatty kind of shape. The World is round and that is that. They need to abandon their incorrect views. Look where appeasement led in the last century.

They are also fluent in "whatboutisms", in fact when they are questioned by anyone for anything they may have done that is exactly how they respond and how they get out of it. Now they are scared because people are starting to hold them accountable for their actions and they do not like it one bit.

Yes, and this is what Twitter is full of.

And to Gillette and Mikes points, it is like arguing with a brick wall. I don't know if ironic is the word but these people are always saying 'we just want a space to discuss and debate'. They never debate, they hang on tooth and nail to any point raised by 'the other side'. Some things are simply fact.

Pompeo is going around setting fire to the foreign policy now too. Recognizing Taiwan (fair enough, I can't really argue with that) and reinstigating Cuba as a terror supporter (why?). Basically making Biden arse about with some bullshit overseas when he has enough problems at home.

Impeachment Resolution Cites Trump's 'Incitement' Of Capitol Insurrection

Democrats in the House of Representatives have introduced a single article of impeachment against President Trump, charging him with "incitement of insurrection" over Wednesday's violence at the U.S. Capitol.
"Donald John Trump engaged in high Crimes and Misdemeanors by inciting violence against the Government of the United States," the resolution argues, citing his false claims of election fraud in the months leading up to the riot — which he repeated on Jan. 6 — and a phone call to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger where Trump urged him to "find" votes to overturn the results there.

https://www.npr.org/sections/trump-...hl6QFshWQGxpngTZ9Ers1HnPYhwQJME70nOWM3aLlW0jE

Cuba back on the terror list, Presidential Medal of Freedom to strong supporter Jim Jordan...

The White House, in its statement announcing the award, listed Mr Jordan’s achievements, which included working “to unmask the Russia hoax and take on Deep State corruption” and “unearth malfeasance at the highest levels of the United States Government”, and lead the “effort to confront the impeachment witch hunt”

He voted against certifying Biden.

Strange that.

Poor old Cuba. One of the best holidays I've ever had, very complex country, absolutely not a terror state. How ridiculous.