Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

FT. A thoroughly deserved win. Two very different teams and playing styles. Northampton were absolutely agricultural and the worse team I’ve seen for ages. For the Northampton fans to be cheering their first shot, ironically, after 82 minutes, them booing their manager really shows what they think of it all. I feel sorry for them. Lincoln, and especially Montsma, were assaulted time and again & how the ref couldn’t give a card for the assault on him was unbelievable - and then to give Northampton a dropped ball, so the decision went against Montsma 🤔🤬🙈😱. He booked two Lincoln players for technical offences but failed to issue any cards against Northampton players for their continued assaults on Imps players. Makes up for the 4 goals conceded against Sunderland. Onwards and upwards.
As an aside, I have to say Michael Hortin time and again got the Lincoln players wrong. He sometimes gets one or two players wrong per game but he did it countless times today, even giving one of Johnson’s goals to Grant. Sorry Michael but you really should know our own players by now.
I ignored Hortin. When the guy constantly calls Mark Hone "Thommo" you know he has become far too comfortable with things and just winging it. When he congratulates Johnson for tracking back when it is Grant and has been a 15 sec passage of play it is a little embarrassing as "colour blind" is no excuse there.

Last edited:
Classic shithousery from a Curle side and I'm so glad it didn’t work!
They had 1 booking! That was a disgraceful performance from the ref how the hell has not one if not two off?
Absolutely delighted we've finally given someone a beating and even better it was against Curle's bunch of chancers!
Happy Xmas Imps!

Last edited:
a very good team performance. We were up against a strong physical team, but we played football around them, and were just too good for them. we are missing a couple of pieces of the jigsaw, which we have talked about before. indeed so has the manager. We lack a bit of experience if anything, proper left back and striker in January.

Ok I've read (and replied to a couple) all the posts from this thread.

I don't want to add too much. Just that in my time of being an Imps supporter (late 80s to present) Northampton have been to me like a similar club to Lincoln that just did a little better in terms of promotions. (pre Cowleys I have seen 2 promotions. 1 from Conference and 1 from L2.)

Today we were leagues above them and I mean leagues. Was like we were playing a cup game against a conference side.

An Woop, woop. whos joint top. THIS IS the best Lincoln side I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Not seen agricultural Divn. 4 football for a while where the ball falls from the sky with snow on, but the Cobblers have mastered it. Look like dead cert relegation material.
Superb performance by City, great to see the same 11 prove the doubters wrong.
Onward and upwards. Well played lads.
Superb professIonal performance against a very physical team who played like a non league team, several outstanding performances and thank the lord we do not have Curle as manager with football like that.
Typical Curle aggressive, hoofball dogshite. Soon to be unemployed yet again.

Got it absolutely cracked away from home, happy for teams to come onto us and can pick them off aplomb.

What we soon realised last season, it’s very rare unless you have exceptional resources to play the Northampton style and succeed.

If we can slightly tweak the home form, and get the first goal - we will be there or thereabouts. I also think we will improve in the transfer window.

Today showed the value of that early lead for us. Other than the Bristol game if we score first we usually win

Got it absolutely cracked away from home, happy for teams to come onto us and can pick them off aplomb.

What we soon realised last season, it’s very rare unless you have exceptional resources to play the Northampton style and succeed.

If we can slightly tweak the home form, and get the first goal - we will be there or thereabouts. I also think we will improve in the transfer window.

I think we are a play off team that needs to just get that improvement to be an auto team.

"As an aside, I have to say Michael Hortin time and again got the Lincoln players wrong. He sometimes gets one or two players wrong per game but he did it countless times today, even giving one of Johnson’s goals to Grant. Sorry Michael but you really should know our own players by now."

I have to agree about Hortin. Can we include him in the player performance marking? If so, he would struggle to get a "1" today. Absolutely appalling and should not be allowed back on air until he either starts to do some preparation, or visits an optician.

Other than that - what a difference in the same 11 who underperformed against Shrewsbury compared to today. I was one who thought MA should make changes, but MA has proved he knows more than me yet again. :)

Superb display.

Well that’s how you come back from two home defeats on the bounce. No idea how we played but from a brief look at the thread it was back to our slick best. Looking at the table, it really is a case of if only regarding those games, but to be second in the table at Christmas is unbelievable . I just hope we can hang on to the lads and really push on in the New Year. Despite the gloom over the latest Covid news, it will still be a happy Christmas for us Imps.

When I've calmed down about the dangerously inept ref I think on reflection that was exactly what the players needed. A straight scrap against a talentless bunch of thugs; with our superior football simply embarrassing them for what they are.

That will have done wonders for team spirit.

As ever, spot on

Well that’s how you come back from two home defeats on the bounce. No idea how we played but from a brief look at the thread it was back to our slick best. Looking at the table, it really is a case of if only regarding those games, but to be second in the table at Christmas is unbelievable . I just hope we can hang on to the lads and really push on in the New Year. Despite the gloom over the latest Covid news, it will still be a happy Christmas for us Imps.

There was a lot less "fucking around at the back today" I assume MA took one look at the pitch and said "Not today.."

To be fair we have played more ‘difficult’ sides at home. The only top 8 away game was the defeat at Doncaster. the hull game will be an interesting test for our away record.