Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City

That may have changed in view of empty stadia. We made the bulk of our money in 2017-18 from the 40,000+ attendance at the final, and there is absolutely no guarantee that anyone will be allowed to attend this year. The final is just over 3 months away (scheduled for 14 March) - is it now worth even reaching the final when the financial rewards are likely to be severely limited? Is it worth risking a promotion challenge for? As I proposed on a different thread, the effect of a large number of matches on a small squad is visible by the closing stages of any season, let alone a compacted one like this. Quite a conundrum.
Fair point - though the prize money is good irrespective of attendences. Will that help fund squad improvements in January? Not much. This is also the competition where this year's final is likely to be played before last year's because of Pompey's ticket sales. The point I made in my second paragraph, that the current league position changes any pre-season priorities in cup competitions, is my key point and borne out by the selection for the Plymouth game.

I certainly remember 82-83 as well as the more recent seasons. Also 75-76 which was achieved with an incredibly small squad. Pitches are much better now, as is sports science and fitness monitoring, but sustaining the high work load of some of the squad throughout the season will be a concern - think of the mileage that Jones, McGrandles and Hopper must be racking up, for example. The last, as has been pointed out, the only fit striker at the moment who should be sat at home with his feet up tonight, on Lewis's lap (See the 'Formation' launch video if that's a bit obscure!)

Given the number of injuries and the programme of matches this month, tonight should be about playing the minimum number of first choice players the rules and injuries allow, if that means the likes of Cann get a start then that's good experience for them. If they win, great, if not then at least the match load of the season is clear to the final league match.

Believe the winners will pocket £20,000, which with the likelyhood of remaining in tier 3 very high, makes this a hugely important game. Hope we progress on that basis alone.

As a new manager, cotterill might want to make changes to look at players in his squad that haven’t had a game yet. If not, and Shrewsbury play their first 11 they will be favourites. whether some people think progression in this competition is a bad thing - if both teams make changes I fancy us to win, and I fancy the 11 we put out will be trying to win regardless.

Believe the winners will pocket £20,000, which with the likelyhood of remaining in tier 3 very high, makes this a hugely important game. Hope we progress on that basis alone.
Very likely as the number of cases remains very high indeed at the county

Clearly anyone with a slight knock has been left at home. Might have been tempted to stick Sault and Makama on the bench as well but 5 or 7 makes no odds

On ifollow I'm getting audio but a frozen picture. Anybody else getting the same or live moving images?