Team v Exeter | Page 7 | Vital Football

Team v Exeter

Very poor today I’m not sure how anyone can say Jackson isn’t league one standard - although he wasn’t great today he has played a fair few games in league one over the years and he wouldn’t be playing now if he wasn’t ! What’s happened to Ogilvie ??
Somehow Ogilvie has recaptured the complete lack of ability he showed 2 years ago. Jackson can't defend and tbh, hasn't been much use coming forward this season. Graham is wasted on us.

Very very poor today. Exeter were tidy, but, despite being a league below us, I thought they would be better than they were with their very good record and form. Fair play, they had a good 10 minute spell in the first half, where we completely lost the plot and took their chances well. Their defence looked awful and was there for the taking, but we didn't capitalise on it. They offered little in the second half, but didn't need to as they had a two goal lead.

We started well, deserved to be at least one up and got a gift of a goal, but didn't capitalise on the good start and missed some very good chances. When Exeter undeservedly equalised out of the blue (tidy goal, but why were all of our defenders standing off of their players?), we lost the plot and all shape. The second goal was a disaster - not sure what Bonham was doing with the clearance and, for me, the shot was poor and he could have done better. The third goal was also tidy, but again, we were standing off of them.

Exeter were happy to sit on it in the second half and should have been there for the taking with their ropey defence, but we didn't seem to have any ideas. Samuels again flattered to deceive, Graham had one of his poorer games, the less sad about Maghoma the better and not sure why Evans waited until 80 minutes to bring Akinde on and why Coyle wasn't brought on (was he on the bench?) - he'd have been ideal to run at Exeter's struggling CBs. Dempsey was a bright spark and at least looked to get forward, but seemed to always choose the wrong option when he got past the Exeter defenders in and around the box.

An opportunity for a big round three match and much needed funds wasted.

Somehow Ogilvie has recaptured the complete lack of ability he showed 2 years ago. Jackson can't defend and tbh, hasn't been much use coming forward this season. Graham is wasted on us.

I think that's a bit harsh. I like his defending; however, for me, he's a centre back not a left back and has done well at left back for a long time. Today, with Exeter sitting back, he had a lot of the ball in attacking areas and didn't have the quality to make anything of it. In the Arsenal EFL trophy game, Medley played at left back and looked good there. I'd much rather see Ogilvie at CB and Medley at left back.

I’ve always read everyone’s comments 58 and always want the team to do well
My comment was a lame attempt at a joke Kettners as your post was in bold type.

Welcome back and I've never doubted that you want the Gills to dowell

I think that's a bit harsh. I like his defending; however, for me, he's a centre back not a left back and has done well at left back for a long time. Today, with Exeter sitting back, he had a lot of the ball in attacking areas and didn't have the quality to make anything of it. In the Arsenal EFL trophy game, Medley played at left back and looked good there. I'd much rather see Ogilvie at CB and Medley at left back.
Fair enough. Always wanted Ogilvie as a CB. Been poor as LB this season like he was 2 years ago.

Fair enough. Always wanted Ogilvie as a CB. Been poor as LB this season like he was 2 years ago.

I thought Ogilvie was one of our better players today. I agree that he was disappointing at LB a couple of seasons back and also that he`s probably better in central defense. But, TBH, he`s been doing OK at LB , allowing Medley to be in the centre, where he`s at his best.

The defensive four we started against Wimbledon looks the most solid and SE seems to have rightly (IMO) settled on Jackson, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie as his starters. Having said that, I`d understand it if Mackenzie was thinking he should be challenging for a long stint in Ryan`s position.

SE should have kept with his best back four for today, especially when the visitors are known to be very potent in attack. Hope Exeter enjoy hosting Man Utd in their next, and very lucrative, cup game.

Do you think Graham will move on in the window ?

My comment was a lame attempt at a joke Kettners as your post was in bold type.

Welcome back and I've never doubted that you want the Gills to dowell
Lol you know it’s been so long that Ive posted I didn’t realise it was in bold !

Any EFL club that pays money for a player in the January window will seriously undermine any claims for assistance from the Premier League. I can't see Paul Scally letting anyone of Graham's class go on a free transfer.

As Shotshy pointed out in an earlier post, it`s not always a great idea to change a winning line-up. OK, SE didn`t deviate much and we don`t know whether there`s an issue with Medley.

But just to underline the thought, top of the table Peterborough have just kicked off at home v National League North strugglers Chorley. Posh have named the exact same line up as started their last L1 game (when they beat Plymouth).

As Shotshy pointed out in an earlier post, it`s not always a great idea to change a winning line-up. OK, SE didn`t deviate much and we don`t know whether there`s an issue with Medley.

But just to underline the thought, top of the table Peterborough have just kicked off at home v National League North strugglers Chorley. Posh have named the exact same line up as started their last L1 game (when they beat Plymouth).
I personally think that our best defensive line up is Jackson Olgivie and Tucker in the middle and Medley left back, assuming all are fit.
I’d guess that Evans just gave him a rest.
Big mistake imho.

It’s strange even after all these years how a result affects you. I didn’t watch the game although followed the scores. I’m sitting here with a particularly nice glass of Aussie Shiraz, there’s a nice meal cooking in the oven giving off some enticing smells, yet I know I’m in a filthy mood and I know it’s because we lost.

Disappointing result today. Although I think what peed me off the most was the first half hour of the second half. We did nothing, offered nothing and seemed to just be going through the motions. Almost as if we had already given the game up and wanted it over and done with.
Samuel continues to frustrate me. The guy clearly has skill but goes down far too easily.
Graham had a quiet game by his standards - but we can’t rely on him every week. Others have gotta step up sometimes.
I agree with the majority of posters, the back 4 of Jackson, Tucker, Ogilvie, Medley is by far our strongest. In fact after a shaky start I’ve grown to really like Medley. His omission today certainly didn’t cost us the game, but we are weaker without him. Maghoma was poor, Although his replacement in Drysdale was no better. I lost count of the amount of aimless balls he hit forward.
Just a quick note on Medley, I have in the back of my mind that he didn’t play V Woking. Maybe Arsenal have asked that he is not cup tied. Is he a season long loan does anyone know? Or maybe til January with an option to extend?
I don’t think Exeter were the fantastic free flowing side that I expected to see. Don’t get me wrong, they deserved the win and good luck to them. But they looked good in that 10 minute spell in the first half, scored 3 goals, then that was it. I suppose it could be argued that they did enough in that 10 minutes to win the game so why bother with any more. But I put the defeat more down to our ineptitude than anything else.

I’m not sure all is doom and gloom though. When we click we play some really bloody good football and are a match for any team in league 1. I for one am still pretty confident of a mid table finish. I don’t think we are in danger of going down. I am pretty sure SE and PR will be as pissed off with the performance today as we all are, and will hope for a much improved performance midweek.

Basically, this is a perfect reason as to not to change a winning team unless necessary.
Evans should look at his decision to bring Maghoma in place of Medley.
The central defence has been all over the place.
Exeter look sharp, both on and off the ball.
It’s either going to be a good team talk or a couple of subs.
This looks like a defence that Coyle could exploit.
Personally, I’d give Samuel a rest and bring in younger legs into midfield.
Perhaps it was Maghoma last chance before the window if Evans has been wanting to off load a permanent centre back to bring in a bit more experience at the back. He would possibly be top of the list .Might be a reason for his poor performance. Perhaps Evans should have seen it coming. But maybe was hoping for a positive response to prove him wrong. Probably right to give him a chance if he is a possible target for removal.

It’s strange even after all these years how a result affects you. I didn’t watch the game although followed the scores. I’m sitting here with a particularly nice glass of Aussie Shiraz, there’s a nice meal cooking in the oven giving off some enticing smells, yet I know I’m in a filthy mood and I know it’s because we lost.

I went out for run to get it out my system. Now, like you got a cracking meal in the oven. One advantage of lockdown is there is no demand for fillet from hotels and restaurants. Butchers are selling it off at less than half price.

Need to open a bottle of red and be thankful for things other than that shower in blue today