Team v Exeter | Page 8 | Vital Football

Team v Exeter

I personally think that our best defensive line up is Jackson Olgivie and Tucker in the middle and Medley left back, assuming all are fit.
I’d guess that Evans just gave him a rest.
Big mistake imho.
Another option if we are able to have enough funds is to bring in a left back in the January window. That would then mean Ogilvie could compete for both defensive roles.Better still get a versatile full back who is a guaranteed starter.A young Barry Fuller will do.

As Shotshy pointed out in an earlier post, it`s not always a great idea to change a winning line-up. OK, SE didn`t deviate much and we don`t know whether there`s an issue with Medley.

But just to underline the thought, top of the table Peterborough have just kicked off at home v National League North strugglers Chorley. Posh have named the exact same line up as started their last L1 game (when they beat Plymouth).

Posh knocked out by Chorley despite fielding their first team!

Few criticisms of our 'big punt upfield' style. The fact that all our defenders do it must mean that it is asked of them. With Oliver, Akinde and Samuel all target men the only variation on the big punt is the ball out wide for Jacko, Graham, Ogilvie etc to get in the box. It is creating chances for the strikers but not enough are being clinically converted. We are now seeing 2 or 3 man marking for Oliver as opponents are not daft and know what our game plan is.
The annoying thing for me is that in the first 25 mins we did move the ball around with some lovely pass and go movement. It was clear we were bossing the game. 3 quick goals put us straight into panic mode and we couldn't get out of first gear until the last 10 minutes.
We need to mix up our attacking options a bit more otherwise we will become too predictable and easy to play against.
Well done Exeter btw!

He will at the end of his contract. Did he sign for 1 or 2 years? Far too good for us.

When I saw him play for us last season it was clear that he is a cut above the rest. I was really surprised (and pleased!) when we managed to sign him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on a 1 year deal so he can prove he's fit after his bad luck with injuries. Let's enjoy him whilst we have him.

I am still of the same opinion as I was close season. Two stupid decisions by the club 1 Letting Max’s contract run down and 2 Letting Barry go. Both fighters.

Still hoping SE proves me wrong.

I have a feeling we paid Barry to go - he had another year on his contract

I am still of the same opinion as I was close season. Two stupid decisions by the club 1 Letting Max’s contract run down and 2 Letting Barry go. Both fighters.

We have no idea about wages so while I would agree with you. It might be totally logical. If wages and the current climate were taken in to consideration then maybe that wasn't possible. I still say that Fuller possibly had another year myself.But not getting in a experienced leader at the back was the major error. Jackson just doesn't do that even if it could be argued he was a decent player.Little doubt that Tucker has not been as dominant without the older heads around him. Definitely needs addressing with at least one signing.

Last edited:

SE said in the press conference this week (it’s on the club’s YouTube channel), that he wasn’t expecting to have to build a complete new team this summer as he’d wanted to keep both Ehmer and Hanlan, but Scally refused to offer them contracts until he knew how this season was going to work financially, hence they went elsewhere to Bristol Rovers.
I agree with your comments about Barry though, surely he was worth a player / coach role, but perhaps he was a higher earner and we just couldn’t afford to keep him given the number of other players we had to bring in.

Experienced players don’t come cheap, unfortunately in the current climate we can’t afford them, we could scarcely afford them before. I suspect our squad may have had more quality and experience if it weren’t for the pandemic but we are what we are.

[QUOTE="markinkent, post: 2565261, member: 13610].
The team plays a very one dimensional style based on long throws. I don't like that but perhaps he's playing the probabilities and sees that as our best chance to.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t say the style was based on long throws alone.
You can add long balls and direct play in general. Defenders hoof it upfield towards Oliver, then midfielders try to pick up the second balls. We win a lot of corners and throw ins as we get the ball forward quickly from back to front.
It’s frustrating though as Dempsey and Graham are better with the ball on the ground and have the quality to create something between them.

Posh knocked out by Chorley despite fielding their first team!

As i said about us and Exeter, if we don`t work harder than Exeter, they`ll beat us. It was right for Posh to field their first choice team, the manager did his bit. Unfortunately for him, his team must have thought that they could cruise the second half as they were simply too Posh for Chorley - they were wrong. Serves the Posh players right and best of luck to Chorley in the next round.

Edited to say: Well played Chorley - probably the best result so far in this year`s FA Cup.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="markinkent, post: 2565261, member: 13610].
The team plays a very one dimensional style based on long throws. I don't like that but perhaps he's playing the probabilities and sees that as our best chance to.
I wouldn’t say the style was based on long throws alone.
You can add long balls and direct play in general. Defenders hoof it upfield towards Oliver, then midfielders try to pick up the second balls. We win a lot of corners and throw ins as we get the ball forward quickly from back to front.
It’s frustrating though as Dempsey and Graham are better with the ball on the ground and have the quality to create something between them.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure this is the plan but it doesn't work enough and we never look like scoring from corners. Our only non long ball option is Graham, we have nothing on the other flank which does make us predictable. Evans said after the Wimbledon goals that he hoped to see more of that. So do I.

Good point re corners.
How many goals have we scored from corners since Jackson at Wembley?
Less than ten perhaps.