Thommo | Page 12 | Vital Football

Thommo

You could have understood suspension for the "gay monthly" comment. But "handbags"? Get a grip.
Surely, it's a cumulative thing, possibly warned earlier for the gay comment?
People of a certain age, and I include myself, really do have to be on their guard when speaking. I sit close to HR at work, both of the girls, one the boss, are gay and relatively big. Both are really nice people, who I wouldn't dream of upsetting, but I find it uncomfortable having to think through every word that you utter before doing so.
I suspect he was on a warning for the former comment and the skirt comment got him sent to the naughty corner. I doubt it was anything to do with handbags, but the scum and daily fail have never let the truth get in the way of a good PC scandal

I suspect he was on a warning for the former comment and the skirt comment got him sent to the naughty corner. I doubt it was anything to do with handbags, but the scum and daily fail have never let the truth get in the way of a good PC scandal

Would have been amazed if his comment on day one at Crewe about Montsma didn't result in at least a serious word in his ear.

The newspaper reports stem from a widely shared FB post I think. It stated both 'handbags' and Swindon and was posted by somebody who is very clearly gammon to the core and was probably posted to get his fellow British bulldogs frothing at the mouth. I think it is highly unlikely that 'handbags' is the reason as that is common parlance. I would think it is the 'skirt' comment compounding the 'gay monthly photoshoot' comment that has resulted in the suspension.

Bloody incredible. Mrs T was often reported for giving people a handbagging. How things have changed

The newspaper reports stem from a widely shared FB post I think. It stated both 'handbags' and Swindon and was posted by somebody who is very clearly gammon to the core and was probably posted to get his fellow British bulldogs frothing at the mouth. I think it is highly unlikely that 'handbags' is the reason as that is common parlance. I would think it is the 'skirt' comment compounding the 'gay monthly photoshoot' comment that has resulted in the suspension.
A good summary.

Has anyone on this board ever felt offended by anything Thommo has said during his Radio Lincolnshire summarising? I certainly havent.
Me neither. However I have been offended many a time with comments from BBC national news readers. A typical example would be when a terrorist leaves a bomb somewhere. Depending upon the incident the BBC would call the murdering terrorist a militant, geurrilla, fighter, Islamist or some other softer word.

I distinctly remember the late Oldimpsfan lamenting how BBC Local Radio has now become an "Elephants Graveyard", whereas it used to be, and should be, somewhere for young journalists to cut their teeth. It seems the new management seem to agree.

I do miss Old Imps Fan. Third rate tripe springs to mind with all this.

Thommo's from the Steel City. You can take the Thommo out of Sheffield, but etc, etc,

I'll sithee mate.

Yeah if they released a statement saying he'd been warned multiple times, it's generated x complaints and then he's kept doing it I think it would all sound more sensible to me. It's clearly not just the handbags thing but it's whipped everyone up sufficiently.

It's hardly pep guardiola levels of punditry and insight from tommo is it, so if he does generate complaints I get it. Let the markets decide I guess! Quickly googling one of the people sticking up for him in those media articles by the way and I'm not sure it's a fantastic character reference (!)

Just seen Kelvin McKenzie has jumped on the bandwagon btw. If anyone knows how to make a story out of nothing....