Chorley in our cup | Page 16 | Vital Football

Chorley in our cup

Plenty look good but never make the grade. Time will tell. Moonay. We have had good players before. Miles better. was only under the Whelan years. That we didn’t bring any. To the first team
My point was John that if we had sold any of those 3 under "normal" conditions, then we'd have recouped a lot more money than we actually did.

As for the point that I think you're trying to make (re us having better players pre Whelan), I can only assume that you mean those like Quinn, Langley, Newell, Lowe, Walsh, etc. The thing is, they weren't the product of our own youth set-up, but we found them by local scouting. So, I suppose there's an argument that we should maybe focus our efforts in that direction, but the world has changed now .......... kids are being signed up by clubs whilst still at primary school.

Also, we were bringing players into (at the time) Leagues 3 and 4 .......... not the top two divisions where we've (generally) been for most of the last 18 years.

Give the academy time. It will work.............. add in some decent scouting too, and we may get out of this shitehole we're currently in.

ours have not come from very young ages. A few from Everton
Joe Gelhardt was with us since 2013 John. Not all have bene with us that long, and at the same time, some who were with us for years have been let go.

Not everyone at the academy will make it ............................ but the return from selling those who do will continue to finance the investment.

You have just hit the nail on the head. Not every one will make it. And the three that could do have now left for peanuts

Out of interest what age do you class as kids most of our players were 21-22 upwards yesterday. Have you walked around town lately and seen the size of lads at 15-16 these days ? Since the popularity of gyms young people are far bigger these days.
It must be illusory effect of the football pitch then. Cause our players look slight compared to the opposition.
Not long & obi though, but even they lack upper body strength

Hope your right can see it getting closed down my self.

Apparently, they see it as an essential part of the future, and want to get us to Cat 1 status.

You have just hit the nail on the head. Not every one will make it. And the three that could do have now left for peanuts

They only went for peanuts because of the circumstances. Also, all 3 went way earlier than "planned".

He had no chance with there goals what did he do wrong ?

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply Zakky.

I am not saying he did anything in particular that was wrong, apart from their second goal were he came to collect and fumbled it.

My point is that he is no better than what we have in the position at present with Jamie Jones. The main difference between the two is experience and Jones wins hands down in that race. At present we need a goalkeeper with experience to guide the two young centre backs in front of him and unfortunately from the two occasions I have seen Evans this season he does not yet have that ability.

I am not saying that we get rid of Evans as I think the potential is there but I do believe that the calls for him to be promoted to the No.1 position are premature.

The team at present have a very weak spine and the keepers position at the base of that spine needs an experienced head. Unfortunately at present we are without any senior players in the centre back positions or central midfield and in my opinion that is were our problems lie. Without the influence that experience brings to the centre of the pitch the young inexperienced players have little or no guidance on the pitch and have to rely on other young heads. Some are saying the kids are not good enough but I disagree, I think they have the tools but need guidance in how to use them effectively.

I think that once we get some of the experience back into the side the younger players will step up and we will see performances improve. We miss the likes of Lee Evans in the central midfield position and although Tilt is not perfect he does have an experienced head and brings some stability to the back line. Naismith is also a big miss and his versatility allows the manager to bring experience to any part of the pitch by utilising him as a forward or a centre back when needed.

We have gone through a very bad period in our history with the administration causing chaos, a very deep injury crisis to a limited squad and having to throw young players into the fray but there is hope. Once the takeover is complete there is the opportunity to add to the squad and if we can blend youth and experience we may yet survive a season that at one time looked to be our last.

Keep the faith.

Apparently, they see it as an essential part of the future, and want to get us to Cat 1 status.

They only went for peanuts because of the circumstances. Also, all 3 went way earlier than "planned".
i If they watched that yesterday they could well change there minds yet.

I just think there is something not right and going to plan. Should have been sorted now. Don’t you so end of Oct they said

I can well imagine that the EFL are putting far more rigour into the assessment of our new owners than they have into investigating any other club previously. Not least because of the shit they've got from many Tics fans.

It must be more or less there now though. If summat doesn't happen this week, then yes, I think we can start to fear the worst

I think young people are less worldly wise now than many of us. Some grow up early but at my workplace I would still say they need to get past 24 before they are into adulthood. Most live with their parents til they are 30.

In footballing terms putting 21 year olds against seasoned pros is only going to have limited success, depending on the players. In recent weeks we have been done over by older players who have taken advantage of this. Chorley did a job on us and rode their luck, so credit to them. That’s what’s great about our Cup, it’s never boring.

Just want to say that I understand Sheridan’s frustration but I think he crossed the line criticising Adam Long yesterday.
Why? He made two howlers before getting sent off.

Last edited:
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply Zakky.

I am not saying he did anything in particular that was wrong, apart from their second goal were he came to collect and fumbled it.

My point is that he is no better than what we have in the position at present with Jamie Jones. The main difference between the two is experience and Jones wins hands down in that race. At present we need a goalkeeper with experience to guide the two young centre backs in front of him and unfortunately from the two occasions I have seen Evans this season he does not yet have that ability.

I am not saying that we get rid of Evans as I think the potential is there but I do believe that the calls for him to be promoted to the No.1 position are premature.

The team at present have a very weak spine and the keepers position at the base of that spine needs an experienced head. Unfortunately at present we are without any senior players in the centre back positions or central midfield and in my opinion that is were our problems lie. Without the influence that experience brings to the centre of the pitch the young inexperienced players have little or no guidance on the pitch and have to rely on other young heads. Some are saying the kids are not good enough but I disagree, I think they have the tools but need guidance in how to use them effectively.

I think that once we get some of the experience back into the side the younger players will step up and we will see performances improve. We miss the likes of Lee Evans in the central midfield position and although Tilt is not perfect he does have an experienced head and brings some stability to the back line. Naismith is also a big miss and his versatility allows the manager to bring experience to any part of the pitch by utilising him as a forward or a centre back when needed.

We have gone through a very bad period in our history with the administration causing chaos, a very deep injury crisis to a limited squad and having to throw young players into the fray but there is hope. Once the takeover is complete there is the opportunity to add to the squad and if we can blend youth and experience we may yet survive a season that at one time looked to be our last.

Keep the faith.

Thank you a good reply :tophat:

No matter what any one says. Our under 23 team should. Beat. Chorley. If it was a team like Stockport. Yes i could agree. But they have not won a league game. This season sit at the bottom of. NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH with one point. The players and manager. Should hang there heads in shame. Yes the manager is crap. But we’re was the effort on the. Pitch Non whatsoever.

Err - perhaps you were watching a different game to me ?, but up until Long got sent off at around 44 mins it looked to me like we were playing just fine - the midfield were passing the ball around accurately and we were keeping possession and controlling the game, we were 2:0 up and playing some nice football!
It went pear shaped when Long got sent off and Sheridan panicked and took off Merrie who had been playing well in midfield with Perry and proceeded by bringing on a young foreward to play out of position in defence he did this with about 1min to go to half time and with us 2:0 up - what a complete twat !

After this stupid substitution our midfield was fucked up and the rest is history !

Sorry about the expletives but just thinking about what (in my book) Sheridan caused yesterday and then piled the blame on Long and the other young guys just makes me so angry ! and I just want to call a twat a twat when it’s fully deserved !