Chorley in our cup | Page 15 | Vital Football

Chorley in our cup

Though I understand the logic behind your opinion Exiled, personally, I think that would be the wrong route.

Shouting at players to make them try harder may have short term gains, but I prefer a manager to have a little more finesse................... and his team to do more than run about a lot. (Sorry for the over simplistic characterisation).

Not sure who that would be, but it's always easier to say who it shouldn't be.
;)
Fair enough Moonay but i feel they have experience of taking over a team at a low point and getting the albeit limited players to play at their very best,Lincoln had no big names in their squad but the spirit and effort took them to a level way above our level at the moment!But we all have oppossing views,and thats how it should be!

The players and manager aren't good enough. Not just the manager and nearly all of them will need replacing.
Or.............the players need coaching so as not to continue doing what they're currently doing.

Robinson wasn't brilliant defensively when he first came.
Byrne was very much up and down.
Kipre made a hatful of mistakes.

The thing is, at the moment, the defensive line-up is all young lads.

It’s going to be a long road back, even to be competitive and indeed remain in league one. It’s clear we need a manager to take on a project and he will require patience from us supporters not to judge that person too harshly as results/performances won’t be instantaneous (I’ll have to remember to take my own advice). It’s abundantly clear however that Sheridan doesn’t have the personality or seemingly requisite abilities to be that person. It’s depressing and utterly demoralising to know the prospective new owners have already placed their faith in him.

Or.............the players need coaching so as not to continue doing what they're currently doing.

Robinson wasn't brilliant defensively when he first came.
Byrne was very much up and down.
Kipre made a hatful of mistakes.

The thing is, at the moment, the defensive line-up is all young lads.

They were imperfect but you could see the raw potential on day one with those. I don't think most of these lads look like they have it. They remind me more of Tim Chow types than any of the players you mentioned.

They were imperfect but you could see the raw potential on day one with those. I don't think most of these lads look like they have it. They remind me more of Tim Chow types than any of the players you mentioned.

I think to write off the potential of a whole bunch of young players, simply because of a few poor performances (some personal, some collective) or mistakes in a set of circumstances that must make playing week in week out a fairly weird and unsettling experience, is a touch harsh.

Yes, of course, they need to take personal responsibility for what they do and how they do it, but they're having to cope with promotion to a first XI set-up where there maybe isn't the support and guidance from having senior players alongside them, in numbers, in the way there might normally be.

I'm all for holding people accountable ..................... less so for writing them off whilst they go through a period of struggle.

1. So our kids are skilled, but if you compare their upper body strength against opposition players, they are at a disadvantage- thus they cannot compete[/QUOTE

Out of interest what age do you class as kids most of our players were 21-22 upwards yesterday. Have you walked around town lately and seen the size of lads at 15-16 these days ? Since the popularity of gyms young people are far bigger these days.

Last edited:

Out of interest what age do you class as kids most of our players were 21-22 upwards yesterday. Have you walked around town lately and seen the size of lads at 15-16 these days ? Since the popularity of gyms young people are far bigger these days.

I think young people are less worldly wise now than many of us. Some grow up early but at my workplace I would still say they need to get past 24 before they are into adulthood. Most live with their parents til they are 30.

In footballing terms putting 21 year olds against seasoned pros is only going to have limited success, depending on the players. In recent weeks we have been done over by older players who have taken advantage of this. Chorley did a job on us and rode their luck, so credit to them. That’s what’s great about our Cup, it’s never boring.

Just want to say that I understand Sheridan’s frustration but I think he crossed the line criticising Adam Long yesterday.

Maybe all these young lads are not as good as we think. Lots of young lads look good playing at. Youth level But never ever make it. It’s ok investing in youth but it as to pay And so far we never have. Think we have one or two that’s good but the rest Are not

They could be as big as Dan Burn and it wouldn't make a difference if they are still wet behind the ears and a few of ours are. The 2 centre halves were both teenagers and that a much as anywhere on the field is where an old head is needed.

Maybe all these young lads are not as good as we think. Lots of young lads look good playing at. Youth level But never ever make it. It’s ok investing in youth but it as to pay And so far we never have. Think we have one or two that’s good but the rest Are not

All things being equal, in normal circumstances, the return on investment for Gelhardt, or Weir, or Devine would make the academy project a resounding success.

Let's not judge things against a false yardstick.

All things being equal, in normal circumstances, the return on investment for Gelhardt, or Weir, or Devine would make the academy project a resounding success.

Let's not judge things against a false yardstick.
Plenty look good but never make the grade. Time will tell. Moonay. We have had good players before. Miles better. was only under the Whelan years. That we didn’t bring any. To the first team

They could be as big as Dan Burn and it wouldn't make a difference if they are still wet behind the ears and a few of ours are. The 2 centre halves were both teenagers and that a much as anywhere on the field is where an old head is needed.
I know i'm from the old school of football, i'm 69 we need some more experienced and mentally tougher players in defence,
Like Larry Lloyd, Colin Menthven, type of players who could boss the defence and get the team going forward through to the midfield players or wingers.

At present we have no players on the pitch to steady the ship when things start going pear shaped and this is when the younger players need guidence the most.

No matter what any one says. Our under 23 team should. Beat. Chorley. If it was a team like Stockport. Yes i could agree. But they have not won a league game. This season sit at the bottom of. NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH with one point. The players and manager. Should hang there heads in shame. Yes the manager is crap. But we’re was the effort on the. Pitch Non whatsoever.

The way I see it the younger players are looking towards Massey Garner etc and they are not performing end of. One Chorley player is a butcher who had to take time off to play yet Massey strolls around as if tomorrow will do. He and the others should be ashamed of themselves they are a disgrace to themselves as well as to their profession. Our lads will come good only if we weed out the bad ones. We cannot go on like this.