The Ross Barkley Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Ross Barkley Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s still early days, so by talking now we’ll probably just talk his price up and it could distract from the performances in the pitch. He won’t know yet what he wants to do, and probably won’t until next May.

Fully agree mate 2 games in and he's done well, personally, I want to see him prove he can play 38 games and maintain that sort of level before we decide if we pursue him. If he gets Villa back up there we will not only be able to attract him but others of the same calibre perhaps even a top top player like Mason Mount

It’s still early days, so by talking now we’ll probably just talk his price up and it could distract from the performances in the pitch. He won’t know yet what he wants to do, and probably won’t until next May.

Ross is not the only midfielder in the World. Let's have a season out of him then negotiate. If they get too greedy we can use the money we will have made from winning the league to buy someone equally as good.
:jangel:

Anyone else disappointed we haven't even spoken to Chelsea about a permanent deal ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-has-lifted-the-dressing-room-says-dean-smith
Not really. He's a good player, huge step up in quality from Hourihane and he will do a job for us this season. When it comes to loan deals, signing a player at his peak for a season with no strings attached is a pretty good deal in my eyes. He's 27 in a couple of months, so he's got three or four seasons left in him if he avoids any more injuries. If he helps us achieve top four, we can sign someone younger, less injury prone and more talented like Alli or Maddison (assuming we can afford it, which I believe we can).

I'll enjoy him while we have him and should he help us achieve something this season, if Chelsea act up and don't sell him, I'll look forward to signing someone who is an upgrade on him again.

Not really. He's a good player, huge step up in quality from Hourihane and he will do a job for us this season. When it comes to loan deals, signing a player at his peak for a season with no strings attached is a pretty good deal in my eyes. He's 27 in a couple of months, so he's got three or four seasons left in him if he avoids any more injuries. If he helps us achieve top four, we can sign someone younger, less injury prone and more talented like Alli or Maddison (assuming we can afford it, which I believe we can).

I'll enjoy him while we have him and should he help us achieve something this season, if Chelsea act up and don't sell him, I'll look forward to signing someone who is an upgrade on him again.

I said before we might have to say thank you to Ross and Chelsea and move on being in a better position to attract better players, But I think it's something you need to at least enquire about so we're not potentially paying double (40-50m)

Dele Alli is a risk tbh, I rate him but he isn't the finished article and plenty of area's in his game to improve and he's pretty injury prone if you want to touch on injuries.

1603312166794.png

He's also valued over 45m and Maddison valued 50m he's also a Coventry fan through and through and Leicester wouldn't sell anyway.

If you're going to spend silly money it wouldn't be on either of them and by the same token Barkley is valued at 20m which we all know he is worth more but kind of puts the other players into perspective.

Anyway I just hope he gives us one hell of a season and wants to force a move to us, quality player in my eyes.

I said at the time when you've got a player like him you need to take him even if it's just a loan, when many were against any loan deal no matter how good they are.

We just have to suck it up and be big boys about it, Thank Ross and Chelsea for propelling our club forward and able to attract better players in the future.

I wouldn't put it past us to spend 40m on one player for that number 10 position, but hopefully Chelsea won't price us out.

I agree, it's about finding balance with the budget and quality levels, and short term / long term planning. There are grey areas that require careful consideration and it is very similar to the Mings and Luiz deal in the sense that it is a balanced risk-reward outcome.

There is a possibility we might get burned down the line but the only way we can get burned is if we get massive benefit along the way i.e. the only way we lose Luiz is if he has an amazing season. The only way we get burned with Barkley is again, he has an unbelievable season.

When it comes to Luiz and Barkley I am sure (and I hope) we are planning for the eventuality that we have to move on without them.

Out of the three players V4E mentions, I'd still take Barkley over either of them, simply due to his strength which means he can mix it equally as a traditional midfielder as well as a more advance creative player. Hopefully he can be this good consistently and ends up signing permanently.

If the owners come good I would hope to have another 80-100M to spend again. This time I'd say 2 good players and a couple of back-ups. If Roscoe isn't one of them we should be able to get someone who fits for say 45m.

Ross showed us why he is not always in the Chelsea and England set up last night. Great player, better than Conor, but didn’t get a grip of the midfield with SJM & Douglas last night - they had some moments, but our passing accuracy was way down last night. Hope they can all learn from the game.

Responsible for 2nd goal. Literally passed straight to Leeds player with no Villa player even close and they broke quickly and scored seconds later. Maybe he's injured like was supposed to be 50/50 vs Leicester. Certainly off his game almost whole match vs Leeds. Not saying I'd trust any of bench to have done better job

Our bench could seriously damage the first 11, the alternative to Ross is Hourihane or John McGinn and bring in Marv to play alongside Dougie.
Unless Deano is really brave and trusts Ramsey there really aren't many options to replace Barkley

He was excellent against Liverpool and won us the game against Leicester when we barely looked like scoring throughout. Bad game on Friday but I think it can be forgiven.

Our bench could seriously damage the first 11, the alternative to Ross is Hourihane or John McGinn and bring in Marv to play alongside Dougie.
Unless Deano is really brave and trusts Ramsey there really aren't many options to replace Barkley
We're making steps though. This time last season we had 3 or 4 premier league standard players. Now we have a premier league standard XI. Next couple of transfer windows should fix the bench issue.

I totally agree but unless Dean see's some sort of response in training he deserves to be dropped along with McGinn for the next game.

Without the effort to go with the talent you're not a better player than whats on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.