Forest v Derby Match thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

Forest v Derby Match thread

We looked so pedestrian at times. You could see k-nockaert wanting the ball quickly, but we kept slowing things down. Still punting hopeful long balls forward. We looked great for a spell of 5 mins in the 2nd half when they looked like they were tiring, other than that, thought we were poor. Was disappointed in Arter..
That was the killer for me

lots of times we broke then killed it dead by debating the pass or going backwards and a fair few times players just weren’t moving at all to create space

Very slow out of the blocks again. This seems to be the norm. We have now conceded first in 6 out of our first 7 league games. There was no tempo, poor ball retention and Derby were sharper and passed the ball far better. We again looked like a team of strangers. So much better in the second half. More quality into the area and better passing. Both fullbacks were guilty of committing soft fouls which continually gave Derby the initiative. Ioannou can cross a ball but he needs to buck his ideas up defensively. Yet another average LB. I thought Yates had a very solid game.

We got away with one tonight and we must improve. To play as a team we must pass the ball much better and do it at tempo.

Very slow out of the blocks again. This seems to be the norm. We have now conceded first in 6 out of our first 7 league games. There was no tempo, poor ball retention and Derby were sharper and passed the ball far better. We again looked like a team of strangers. So much better in the second half. More quality into the area and better passing. Both fullbacks were guilty of committing soft fouls which continually gave Derby the initiative. Ioannou can cross a ball but he needs to buck his ideas up defensively. Yet another average LB. I thought Yates had a very solid game.

We got away with one tonight and we must improve. To play as a team we must pass the ball much better and do it at tempo.
I agree. I thought they were better. Bit like Rotherham; Bought loads of fouls, but we kept falling for it. Lawrence’s one of those players that you hate if he’s not in your team, but would love if he was in yours. Same with Waghorn. Both *****, but both good players, and either one of them were MOM. Poor tonight, but we will improve.

Poor.

Grabban and Lolley looked to be getting their mojo back last game but had clearly lost it again tonight.

Hope Taylor's goal kick starts his season.

I thought we were pretty fortunate to get a point overall, but Hughton will need time - new manager, new players who need to get used to each other and a way of playing. I’m not overly concerned.

I’ve criticized Yates but he was very good overall - he just needs a little more dynamism in his game. I actually think Sammy Ameobi is criminally underrated on here. Generally he makes everything happen. It won’t always come off, but it’s the sign of an important player when I want the ball to go to him.

Lolley struggling a little but he never seems to have much space to work with and Christie doesn’t offer what Cash did as a wider option to give the defender something to think about.

I actually thought Derby looked good and I was nervous everytime they went forward. Figuerido and Mckenna were fine but I’m not yet feeling assured.

Ioannou did some superb defending and then some conference level passing, so I cannot make my mind up on him. Samba was very good for us, but I thought both of our strikers looked incredibly labored and limited. No energy or tenacity to hold it up, which you desperately need when playing both of them leaves that midfield gap that we sacrificed.

Knockhart looks a player and we all knew that. He emphasized the importance of getting it, driving forward and making the pass or cross. We were too pedestrian for much of the game and Hughton needs to get flair players like him, Ameobi, Freeman and the strikers moving and playing with more intensity.

If we can find away to incorporate Freeman, Knockhart and the moment, Ameobi and remain defensively sound, then there’s every reason to believe that Hughton can get us playing. His record suggests he’ll do just that.

I must admit with the last two matches having kicked off at 4.30am here I’ve only caught the 2nd halves and judging by the comments it would appear I’ve been quite fortunate. I thought we were desperately unlucky not to get all 3 points v Rotherham and again tonight for a large part of the 2nd half (last 10 mins aside) we dominated. For whatever reason we appear to awfully slow getting out the blocks, I notice CH did mention after the Rotherham game it was virtually impossible to play with the intensity we did in the 2nd half for the full 90.

I’ve seen enough on the last 3 showings that we‘re heading in the right direction, again, admittedly I’ve only seen the 2nd halves but there certainly seems to be a far greater urgency in moving the ball forward which is good to see. I get the feeling over the next half dozen games it’s going to click and when it does we’ll be a force to stop.

I thought Yates did well for us especially defending set pieces.However we give too many easy set pieces away and when we play the likes of Millwall and Cardiff we get punished. Why can't we just jockey players who are going nowhere?

I thought Yates did well for us especially defending set pieces.However we give too many easy set pieces away and when we play the likes of Millwall and Cardiff we get punished. Why can't we just jockey players who are going nowhere?
Yates is outstanding; the box to box player that he was developing into under O'Neil. He is putting himself into the position to have 2-3 goalscoring chances per game. If he can start burying one we'll shoot up the league and the big boys will be watching him.

Is that Popey not recognising Spider AGAIN?

He's fed up with you blanking him according to the Major