Forest v Derby Match thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

Forest v Derby Match thread

Really? Honestly did not recognise him at all. Looked far too young for Viv surely? Never caught his name, didn't recognise the voice (in fairness I wouldn't). Well, there we go.

It was Viv Anderson in the high tops with the thick white sole that people a third of his age usually wear.

The man has no shame.

He presented me with a framed photo of the team that was signed by the squad just before lockdown, I actually gave it away to the Marquis youngest kid.

I can tell you now Popey, he is one of the most boring people I have ever met. He did a bit of a "night with Viv"

Diabolical. I only went to support the Footsteps charity and bid on the photo.

Dull

A bit like this "look at me" post

I'm not having a go Jock, but there needs to be some balance here. Hughton has come in on the back of the clubs worst run ever. People have been slating the club for playing 2 DCM, not playing attacking football, not playing 2 up front. Now its not, playing Ribeiro, not playing Sow. We didn't lose. Yes it was crap but its early doors and theres definitely green shoots.

Hes working for his best XI for every single match. I don't think many saw that team last night and thought "for fucks sake"

We will get there but we need a little bit of positivity

It was Viv Anderson in the high tops with the thick white sole that people a third of his age usually wear.

The man has no shame.

He presented me with a framed photo of the team that was signed by the squad just before lockdown, I actually gave it away to the Marquis youngest kid.

I can tell you now Popey, he is one of the most boring people I have ever met. He did a bit of a "night with Viv"

Diabolical. I only went to support the Footsteps charity and bid on the photo.

Dull

A bit like this "look at me" post
What is the footsteps charity? Do you by any chance mean footprints, as that is the sort of thing they tend to do a lot of.

Maybe we might see Guerrero next week. Hughton confirmed he wasnt sure taylor would last the 90mins. 2 games very close next week.

I'm not having a go Jock, but there needs to be some balance here. Hughton has come in on the back of the clubs worst run ever. People have been slating the club for playing 2 DCM, not playing attacking football, not playing 2 up front. Now its not, playing Ribeiro, not playing Sow. We didn't lose. Yes it was crap but its early doors and theres definitely green shoots.

Hes working for his best XI for every single match. I don't think many saw that team last night and thought "for fucks sake"

We will get there but we need a little bit of positivity

Yes, that is spot on.

And there are positives.

A new manager comes in and starts off with an unbeaten run; just the thing we need to start building confidence.

We are creating far more chances.

The players look like they have some fight back in their bellies

We look more convincing.

There are still some negatives there, but they will take time to eradicate

Maybe just me - but I thought Derby looked a lot better than expected. They didn't look like a team who had lost 5 won 1. Not that I enjoy giving Derby any sort of credit.....
I'm disappointed as I was genuinely expecting a good result last night and that first half from Forest was seriously lacking. Some of the silly fouls need cutting out. Derby players were going down in a gentle breeze and Forest just kept on giving them the chance to go over.
I think Hughton has his work cut out, but there are definitely signs of life in this squad. They need to click fast though if we're to have any chance of catching up the leading pack. Every point dropped is crucial already.....

Yes, that is spot on.

And there are positives.

A new manager comes in and starts off with an unbeaten run; just the thing we need to start building confidence.

We are creating far more chances.

The players look like they have some fight back in their bellies

We look more convincing.

There are still some negatives there, but they will take time to eradicate
Playing far higher up the pitch as well.

This is what people were asking for.

We are creating far more chances already. You can't call us "defensive".

But not only do the players need to learn the system but they need to get to know each other as well. Several need to get to learn the league and country; McKenna, Soh, Iaonnau have not played in this league before.

It's going to take time, but objective 1 is that we aren't losing every week any more. We aren't losing any week now.

We were very lucky not to lose last night, but unlucky not to win Tuesday. It more or less evens out

Maybe just me - but I thought Derby looked a lot better than expected. They didn't look like a team who had lost 5 won 1. Not that I enjoy giving Derby any sort of credit.....
I'm disappointed as I was genuinely expecting a good result last night and that first half from Forest was seriously lacking. Some of the silly fouls need cutting out. Derby players were going down in a gentle breeze and Forest just kept on giving them the chance to go over.
I think Hughton has his work cut out, but there are definitely signs of life in this squad. They need to click fast though if we're to have any chance of catching up the leading pack. Every point dropped is crucial already.....
They and about 5 players missing last game, of which almost all were back last night

He's trying different things 442 is a no go unless the other team are perhaps playing it, few players weren't at it as well last night Lolley and Grabban both totally ineffective. Next game I'd go Freeman for Grabban and knocky for Lolley, it was only Ameobi who was causing them problems be good to have both flanks doing it.

I thought we were pretty fortunate to get a point overall, but Hughton will need time - new manager, new players who need to get used to each other and a way of playing. I’m not overly concerned.

I’ve criticized Yates but he was very good overall - he just needs a little more dynamism in his game. I actually think Sammy Ameobi is criminally underrated on here. Generally he makes everything happen. It won’t always come off, but it’s the sign of an important player when I want the ball to go to him.

Lolley struggling a little but he never seems to have much space to work with and Christie doesn’t offer what Cash did as a wider option to give the defender something to think about.

I actually thought Derby looked good and I was nervous everytime they went forward. Figuerido and Mckenna were fine but I’m not yet feeling assured.

Ioannou did some superb defending and then some conference level passing, so I cannot make my mind up on him. Samba was very good for us, but I thought both of our strikers looked incredibly labored and limited. No energy or tenacity to hold it up, which you desperately need when playing both of them leaves that midfield gap that we sacrificed.

Knockhart looks a player and we all knew that. He emphasized the importance of getting it, driving forward and making the pass or cross. We were too pedestrian for much of the game and Hughton needs to get flair players like him, Ameobi, Freeman and the strikers moving and playing with more intensity.

If we can find away to incorporate Freeman, Knockhart and the moment, Ameobi and remain defensively sound, then there’s every reason to believe that Hughton can get us playing. His record suggests he’ll do just that.

I would agree with that Will

Yates has been outstanding this season; easily our top performer.

Ameobi continues to impress and dismay in equal measure, but is well worth his place in the side.

I felt a bit sorry for Lolley last night; he was asked to play the Freeman role, which I have no problem with; but he was playing in a midfield which was over run, through no fault of his.

The full backs will be fine; both are better going forward than defending but at least we have a leader at the back now in McKenna to organise things; I have been extremely impressed with him so far.

I was very impressed with Knockeart; great skill, fantastic energy and a very clever player.

When he was not beating players he was dragging them out of position for Christie to run into the space; he will be a fantastic asset.

We were a tad fortunate last night but just about deserved the draw, but we did give them the advantage and they took it.

Please, please, please no more experiments that leave us short in the middle; It took MON a couple of games to abandon that plan, lets hope it has taken Hughton 45 minutes to do so.

Playing far higher up the pitch as well.

This is what people were asking for.

We are creating far more chances already. You can't call us "defensive".

But not only do the players need to learn the system but they need to get to know each other as well. Several need to get to learn the league and country; McKenna, Soh, Iaonnau have not played in this league before.

It's going to take time, but objective 1 is that we aren't losing every week any more. We aren't losing any week now.

We were very lucky not to lose last night, but unlucky not to win Tuesday. It more or less evens out

McKenna has really surprised me.

I genuinely thought it would take him 10 or 12 games to pick up the pace down here, but he has been a revelation for me.

Fearless, disciplined, not afraid of the responsibility of leading; definitely a future Captain.

I think we have a Colossus in the making; lets hope we can keep hold of him long enough to enjoy his play.

If that does not curse him, nothing will.

We miss Watson that is evident. Fair result and more positives than negatives. Something to build on.

We have definitely missed him but I doubt his legs would cope with how we are playing at the moment.

The extra work involved in playing in a more forward position would probably finish him off.

McKenna has really surprised me.

I genuinely thought it would take him 10 or 12 games to pick up the pace down here, but he has been a revelation for me.

Fearless, disciplined, not afraid of the responsibility of leading; definitely a future Captain.

I think we have a Colossus in the making; lets hope we can keep hold of him long enough to enjoy his play.

If that does not curse him, nothing will.
£3m already looks like daylight robbery. Early days obviously but unless he dips I cant see him going for less than five times that.

If Soh develops in the way we hope I reckon we could get five times our investment for both of them and it would certainly be a triumph for our transfer strategy.

McKenna is already being referred to as an "absolute unit", which is suppose is the white version of the more problematic "beast". The sentiment is the same, although your description of him as a colossus probably covers it better. He is incredible.

I personally would like to see Yates as Captain; he was at Scunthorpe. A sunny supporting colleague of mine rates him as one of the finest young players they have had this century and is following his career closely

£3m already looks like daylight robbery. Early days obviously but unless he dips I cant see him going for less than five times that.

If Soh develops in the way we hope I reckon we could get five times our investment for both of them and it would certainly be a triumph for our transfer strategy.

McKenna is already being referred to as an "absolute unit", which is suppose is the white version of the more problematic "beast". The sentiment is the same, although your description of him as a colossus probably covers it better. He is incredible.

I personally would like to see Yates as Captain; he was at Scunthorpe. A sunny supporting colleague of mine rates him as one of the finest young players they have had this century and is following his career closely
I used to refer to Harry McGuire as a beast when I first saw him but I agree the term has its issues for people who don’t know how widespread it’s use can be.

McKenna is very definitely a ‘unit’ though and alongside Yates has been our best player so far.

I would be happy with either of them as captain although i also wouldn’t mind them just concentrating on playing. You don’t need an armband to be a leader.

With Worrall, McKenna, Yates and Soh we have possibly got our next few big sales lined up but hopefully we get some use first.