Match thread - a bit of luck helps. | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match thread - a bit of luck helps.

Least we are unbeaten and havent conceded last minute or look like we would.

Those last minute goals under lamouchi were the worst thing I have seen

The clear cut chances we had was refreshing, just need them converting. Grabban shouldn't be captain he's not vocal enough and it's possibly adding to his problems scoring, Arter would be the best option to take the captain's role. That picture of Grabban makes the miss look worse he had time to control it and put it away.

Hughton was very smart with his team selection last night.

He picked the same side, which rewarded the players for getting a result on Saturday, knowing he would have to make changes for Friday nights game - three games in a week is far too much for some players.

Regardless of the quality, there was no lack of effort; some players sent out a clear message that they do not want to give up the shirt.

That puts a little bit more pressure on the players who come in; the standard has been set, now players have to maintain it.

And it is that determination and intensity which will drag us through this spell; it has been painful to watch but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

It would take an absolute colossal achievement, lots of luck, the sides in the top positions to go on absolute nightmare runs especially Reading for us to claw back a 12 point deficit.

A12 point deficit just to get even

So at the beginning of the season did anyone believe Sheffield Wednesday could get autos after they got their 12pt deduction?

We are 6 games in now and have effectively a 12pt deduction on Reading and 9 on Bristol City

Do you really think this club with our history over the last couple of decades and the untold failures, bad luck and just how often we make the possible IMPOSSSIBLE so often can do this?

Yes maybe we can but this is NFFC and if anyone thinks we cannot mess up more than we did in those last 10-12 games from last season then I don't think you are quite remembering the last 2-3 decades of this club.

I would take it as a given that Colin ****** will take one of the Auto spots with Middlesbrough that leaves one auto spot

I'm usually very positive, overtly, at the beginning of the season so I'll say it's possible, highly unlikely, but possible

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's bonfire but realistically we have more chance of being in a relegation fight than reaching the play offs IMHO at the moment

I think the main thing in our favour - is that there are no stand out teams last year.
The best of the rest from last season are Brentford - and they have sold their best 2 players.

Still plenty of time for things to come right - but these next few games are arguably our easiest run over the season - so we need pick up 4 wins in the next 5 to get ourselves top 10 before the next international break.

The way we will gain confidence is by winning. The route to this is to work hard on the training ground at our football - better passing and movement. Solid tactics. We have quality in this side so should be able to play most teams off the park.

The football last night was dire; too much 'head tennis'. Rotherham played with great intensity and fitness; they closed us down all over the pitch. They were cynical too, going down easily looking for free kicks and slowing the play whenever they could. To get around a team like that requires not only effort but better football.

I'm confident though that CH will improve this side.

Obviously the threat of losing a spot is having the right effect.

I don't think the players showed any lack of effort under SL. Our passing and ball retention are dreadful though. Added to lack of creativity it really makes life difficult. We had a decent squad last season and really needed three or four quality additions .For various reasons though, we seem to have gone for the wholesale swap option. We needed pace, creativity or someone who can beat a player.

I thought we started brightly and on another day been 2-0 up in 10 minutes. They came back into the game and being a biased fan, thought they looked to waste time to disrupt our rhythm. The remainder of the first half was not great with them having physical strikers. We stood upto the task well I thought.
Not sure about the penalty, but if you are unbalanced and try a tackle in the box they can be given.
After that it was better. We played with more tempo and looked to move the ball quickly, especially when Arter was introduced. We appeared to look a little more balanced when going back to a 4-4-2. It appeared to wake up Lolley, with Ameobi showing some lovely close control.
I feel we well deserved a goal and as CH has said, even a win.
I have some concern over Ioannou. He appears quick, tall and an athlete, but he really needs to work on his passing and crossing. The number of times he was in a good position and the delivery let him down was getting quite frustrating, especially in the second half. I suppose he is settling in, so he will take a little time to fully find his feet.
I have to say also, I was impressed with the CB's. Mckenna was covering well and Figs was always up for that physical challenge.
I'd like to see Colback and Arter starting in midfield, just simply as I dont feel currently that Yates has that range of passing or perhaps vision that Arter does. Colback is obviously getting more match fit after a long period injured. What you cannot argue with is Yates' desire or ability to challenge for the ball.
Freeman looked a little lost and frustrated last night. He could obviously see what was happening but just couldn't quite influence the game. Perhaps playing 4-4-2 with him as a winger might help?
Anyhow, we are looking better defensively and are starting to create chances which is encouraging.

Haven't read much about McKenna but expect to in the coming weeks. When we signed him I thought it could possibly be with a view to making him a future captain with maybe a commanding voice on the pitch. Am I right?

Yes that is how I see it as well.
Strong player - I can see that we will build the defence around him. Nothing against Grabban - despite his poor start to the season - I just think a CF isn't normally a good choice as captain - CH is the ideal position - you see everything in front of you. Big, strong, can pass a ball, leads by example.
Hughton needs to manage any change though - Grabban is short of confidence anyway - taking the captaincy away shouldn't be seen as a punishment for his poor form

Strong player - I can see that we will build the defence around him. Nothing against Grabban - despite his poor start to the season - I just think a CF isn't normally a good choice as captain - CH is the ideal position - you see everything in front of you. Big, strong, can pass a ball, leads by example.
Hughton needs to manage any change though - Grabban is short of confidence anyway - taking the captaincy away shouldn't be seen as a punishment for his poor form

Aye - Give Grabban a rest on Friday and start with Taylor - give Big Mac the captains armband and let him keep it once we have silenced the lambs.

The way we will gain confidence is by winning. The route to this is to work hard on the training ground at our football - better passing and movement. Solid tactics. We have quality in this side so should be able to play most teams off the park.

The football last night was dire; too much 'head tennis'. Rotherham played with great intensity and fitness; they closed us down all over the pitch. They were cynical too, going down easily looking for free kicks and slowing the play whenever they could. To get around a team like that requires not only effort but better football.

I'm confident though that CH will improve this side.
" Rotherham played with great intensity & fitness" Completely agree, and would add there is absolutely no excuse for us not being able to match these attributes, It doesn't matter how much better you are technically if it is not allied to fitness & intensity. If it is a problem to our players then there is clearly a deeper underlying problem that needs to be addressed

We played well the first 15 mins. Then started playing again after the hour. Good to see us actually going for it near the end. Lamouchi last minute goals have cost me a fortune in counselling fees

Seems obvious, CF will never do the job, CH sees everything, or should, and McKenna is just the player to do it.

As an aslde and it's many years ago I used to play CH in the old 3 man halfback arrangement so I speak from experience. :yes: