Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread | Page 59 | Vital Football

Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread

Not yet mate I would love to see it as well, I think at times it was a 4,2,3,1 which is why Barkley had that freedom, and McGinn was sitting quite deep at times, which might explain why Liverpool found it troubling on the edge of our box, Although saying that Grealish and Trezeguet dropped quite deep at times and Barkley was still up there making it more of a 4,4,1,1.

How we played, how the players were moving around I absolutely loved it, the fact we were organised but players had the freedom to move in and out of different positions was impressive and I believe we really are working on something and it's starting to click.

I am sure I saw a piece with Dean that said he had changed the system with Barkley coming in and playing him as a 10 and McGinn having a different role. Says and looked 4-2-3-1 to me.

I’m 45 and I’ve been a season ticket holder for most of the last 30 years and I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen such a complete team performance. Gutted that me and my two lads weren’t there last night to see it live. Amazing!
I thought all of the team were at least 9/10. Special mentions to:
Cash - Wow! What a gem! The lad has a serious engine and seems fearless.

Trez - Had serious doubts about Trez, but fair play he’s been changing my opinion recently and I thought he was fantastic last night.

Jack - Just love him! He will benefit from Barkley soooo much!

Barkley - Brilliant debut, should have had a hat trick, freed up and took pressure off Jack. Could be an amazing signing.

Watkins - Forget the fact that he looks like a natural goal scorer. I think we may have signed a complete forward! He’s absolutely everywhere - drops deep - pulls wide and yet somehow manages to be in the right place in the box!

Special mention to SJM - He’s been really poor since his return from injury and it was really concerning, someone on here said recently that we should stop referring to him as SJM because he didn’t deserve it anymore.
Well last night he was back to his best and possibly even better. Absolute tiger in the middle! MOM for me.

looked 4-2-3-1 to me

Agree. That means that the front 4 can (and last night did really well at) pressing the opposition deep in their half and try to force them into mistakes, knowing that you've still got 6 men behind the ball so they can't just beat the press with one or two passes.

In contrast Liverpool's front line didn't press and that meant more work for their midfield which weren't up for it. Their high line was then rendered as looking very stupid and naive as ball after ball sailed over their midfield and into the space behind the Liverpool's full backs where Ollie was causing havoc with his movement.

The most interesting thing about last night was for all the talk of how Liverpool are packed with leaders all over the park, they stuck to the high line no matter how many times Villa tore it to shreds (they had enough clear cut chances to have scored 10 or more). Do they really have no plan B? They looked completely shell shocked, like a world champion prizefighter who has been knocked to the canvas three times in the first round and just doesn't know what to do!!!

I hadn’t thought about the Shakespeare effect, but it was sort of a Leicester performance from 2015. Defend well, keep it tight, and hit with pace and decisiveness.

I didn’t think we were great at the back at times, it felt a bit desperate but always good to have something to work on.

It would be a masterstroke by Dean if Shakespeare is making a difference. Not to open old wounds (!) but I always felt that was what MON needed to do, be less paranoid and change things up. Shows strength not weakness to bring in other experts in my humble, so full marks to Smith.

Last night SJM was back to his best and none of us even noticed that in itself tells a story.

I thought he was the difference back in his correct position battling and scrapping not trying to be a no8 where he doesn't cut it.

I said earlier in the week I see Barkley playing no8 and SJM taking over from the wand as SJM has the all-round game that you know who will never have

Last night SJM was back to his best and none of us even noticed that in itself tells a story.

I think he still has room to improve defensively if Deano starts playing him in a 4,2,3,1, Unfortunately I cannot load the video clips on here after I've slow mode them down, But better positioning and Liverpool wouldn't of had them 2 goals.

Not taking anything away from the result, but we need to still look at where it went wrong and how we can improve on that for next time, Totally different position for him last night, Worked really hard and was all over the pitch.

He did lose possession more than any other Villa player 17, and the only player to lose possession more was Robinson for Liverpool.

Passing accuracy was poor at 58% 18/31

So wasn't a MotM performace for me, and has room to improve in his new role but with that beautiful assist best of the match and a good goal, you have to give him an 8/10.

I've always liked SJM but that's my unbiased opinion.

It may appear that SJM was at fault for Liverpool’s second goal, when he didn’t get a tackle in before the pass to Salah. However I think Watkins, bless him, while chasing back to make amends for losing the ball, completely got in SJM’s way. Opinions are funny aren’t they - I thought McGinn was superb.

I think he still has room to improve defensively if Deano starts playing him in a 4,2,3,1, Unfortunately I cannot load the video clips on here after I've slow mode them down, But better positioning and Liverpool wouldn't of had them 2 goals.

Not taking anything away from the result, but we need to still look at where it went wrong and how we can improve on that for next time, Totally different position for him last night, Worked really hard and was all over the pitch.

He did lose possession more than any other Villa player 17, and the only player to lose possession more was Robinson for Liverpool.

So wasn't a MotM performace for me, and has room to improve in his new role but with that beautiful assist best of the match and a good goal, you have to give him an 8/10.

Ok stato but Like I said he's a battler scrapper who scored a goal and made another with his wand of a left foot so he's a big improvement on the last player we had in that role who I'm not allowed to mention in case I upset his fan

He wasn't MOTM for me Jack was by a country mile IMO also thought Cash,Barkley and even Trez had better games tbf just pointing out normally when SJM has a super game we normally cream ourselves over him.