Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

Thought it was a really good all round performance against one of the top sides. Yet at same time felt like there was still plenty we can work on and will get better at with time.

Palmer looks class, will go to a very good level.
Jackson looks very competent.
Eyoma a real athlete, gets the final ball right be too good for this level.
Montsma got tons of potential, just needs to learn when to do certain things.
Roughan superb for 17, faded a little going forward as game went on, but highly promising.
Jones and McGrandles came to life, both excellent, very exciting. Effort from Jones was terrific and there was one turn and almost superb through ball from McGrandles which was class.
Grant looking at home in anchor role, but could like to have seen him control play a little more at times like he did preseason.
Harry and Scully terriers, great header Scully.
Hopper - fantastic. He suits that style of play no end - constantly makes good runs that might not mean he gets the ball but opens it up for our lively midfield. Test for me will be how he does when teams do to us what we did to Oxford. In fact that will be test for whole team - can we break teams who sit in down?

Encouraging.

Last edited:
My first degree was in Astrinomy & Astroohysics.

Brian May did Astroohysics, didn't he, but that was Post Grad.

Like me, I imagine 55 years ago he was getting ready to start at Imperial College. Unlike me, he wasn't in the Metallurgy lab at Clayton Dewandre.

Oh, cool. Drake's equation is a blast - recently updated. Essentially, we have no idea about the prevalence of extra terrestial life. But it's top fun to speculate.

Until we solve the conundrum of abiogenesis on earth itself, we're groping about in the dark, tbh.

But, I have little doubt human ingenuity and science will get us there.

The really interesting stuff for me is looking for biological signals in the atmispheres of extra-solar planets.

Some exciting stuff there in the next few decades, I think.

Brian May did Astroohysics, didn't he, but that was Post Grad.

Like me, I imagine 55 years ago he was getting ready to start at Imperial College. Unlike me, he wasn't in the Metallurgy lab at Clayton Dewandre.

He's a better guitarist than me, as well. 😁

Thought it was a really good all round performance against one of the top sides. Yet at same time felt like there was still plenty we can work on and will get better at with time.

Palmer looks class, will go to a very good level.
Jackson looks very competent.
Eyoma a real athlete, gets the final ball right be too good for this level.
Montsma got tons of potential, just needs to learn when to do certain things.
Roughan superb for 17, faded a little going forward as game went on, but highly promising.
Jones and McGrandles came to life, both excellent, very exciting. Effort from Jones was terrific and there was one turn and almost superb through ball from McGrandles which was class.
Grant looking at home in anchor role, but could like to have seen him control play a little more at times like he did preseason.
Harry and Scully terriers, great header Scully.
Hopper - fantastic. He suits that style of play no end - constantly makes good runs that might not mean he gets the ball but opens it up for our lively midfield. Test for me will be how he does when teams do to us what we did to Oxford. In fact that will be test for whole team - can we break teams who sit in down?

Encouraging.
scunthorpe sat back, and we eventually broke them down, i think we have the passing quality to do it. having said that, from the games so far fast counter attack appears to suit the team best. i also thought we passed the test of defending for long periods on saturday... first time we have had to do that.
the secret was to start well, and score first. in that way we don't need to break teams down.

Whoa, I'm sorry Clive, what?!

Would you like me to forward my MA dussertation in Ancient History that is a full demographic and statistical analysis of ancient Greek Hippocratic medical records for our perusal? I got a distinction, btw.

PhD proposal, pending.

I undoubtedly should have qualified that with regard to things being complicated with football because on a similar occasion you replied as follows (thankfully this site has an excellent search function):

Good grief. I'm actually getting sick of football and I haven't seen any for months! Quite an achievement by some clubs and the useless EFL.

I undoubtedly should have qualified that with regard to things being complicated with football because on a similar occasion you replied as follows (thankfully this site has an excellent search function):

Good grief. I'm actually getting sick of football and I haven't seen any for months! Quite an achievement by some clubs and the useless EFL.

I'm failing to see the relevance with respect to the issue of home-grown players which I haven't any opinion on at all and haven't qurstioned?

The post you quote was from weeks ago and on an entirely different matter from what I can recall.

Sorry, Clive, esteem you enormously but I'm genuinely not sure what your point is.

I'm failing to see the relevance with respect to the issue of home-grown players which I haven't any opinion on at all and haven't qurstioned?

The post you quote was from weeks ago and on an entirely different matter from what I can recall.

Sorry, Clive, esteem you enormously but I'm genuinely not sure what your point is.
Apologies, a joke that didn't hit the right spot. I just had a memory from your last comment that football was getting too complicated, nothing else.

Whoa, I'm sorry Clive, what?!

Would you like me to forward my MA dussertation in Ancient History that is a full demographic and statistical analysis of ancient Greek Hippocratic medical records for our perusal? I got a distinction, btw.

PhD proposal, pending.

And all this alongside a distinction in talking bullsh*t Notty.

Apologies, a joke that didn't hit the right spot. I just had a memory from your last comment that football was getting too complicated, nothing else.

It kind of is! The simplest game on the pitch complicated massively off it.

Aplogies I misunderstood. Total support from me for you, Liam, MA and the Board.

Looking forward to Tuesday. A win, and we gat a truly historic tie versus Liverpool!

Back on topic, not in ancient Greek but definitely home grown:-

Viewing the extended highlights of yesterday, a few things stood out :-

Roughan is a gem, a few rough edges but composed and talented.

Jones is hard working and two footed, he'll contibute a few assists and goals.

Palmer's second save of the double showed remarkable reactions, first couple of games he was never really tested, his one demanding save a good one but unlucky the rebound was bagged by Scunny for their goal.

The challenge on Harry A for the red card was nasty, studs up, ref made the right decision. Appeal that, Robinson and see what you get.

A comprehensive team performance.

That Jones shot kept travelling didn't it? Crikey. Hardly any back-lift either, just put his foot through it.

If only he'd put it in olive eh?

Excuse me - are we football supporters or academics just coming on here for the intellectual debates? 😳😂🤣

I'm hoping they extra on for the appeal.
His team were as whiny as him, the ref had a perfect view wasn't like he was looking through a crowd of players.
Jog on Karl

I'm hoping they extra on for the appeal.
His team were as whiny as him, the ref had a perfect view wasn't like he was looking through a crowd of players.
Jog on Karl
And none of the Oxford players surrounded the ref giving him grief for the red card!