So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 23 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really need a wing back thats better defensively, possibly two. Left back is the more urgent side but there seem to be more RBs around, so perhaps Freddie can cover LB?

That, a striker and winger are absolutely essential. The bare minimum.
Hopefully we won't be defending next season :guns: If we can retain possession better, play in the opposition half more, high press etc our defenders will have an armchair view. Can't see it myself, but wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air.

I can only hope to reassure you that last season we didn't know a lot about most of the transfers before they happened and I expect, as you so rightly pointed out, that most of the stories are just that. The press, as usual are phishing.

You're an extremely hard taskmaster Fulford, I think there are more than six who could continue to do a job, not ideal I admit, but I'm hoping for quality additions, 3 or maybe 4. The back 4 are probably covered, especially if we keep possession better and attack more, thus reducing the constant strain of defending. I'd target another midfielder, a flexible wide man and an out and out striker as a minimum - just hope they can get the right people. After that I'd be happy to get in some quality youngsters for the future.

Yes I am a hard taskmaster as I don't accept average or below.

Very simple, if they don't want to back up the talk, don't do the talk. Think that is fair enough isn't it?

I hope for onward and upward, that will take action. Simples.

Just watched The Edge on iPlayer about the England cricket teams journey to world no1 between 2009-11, the toll it took on their mental health, winning at all costs, the self doubt, the breakdowns. Very revealing about elite sport.

It's a
That was the original format except with 2 legs, as it was with all 3 European competitions. It has lost a lot of its quality due to them putting 3 or 4 teams from the top leagues into the Champions League. Try telling a Seville fan its worthless they've had some great nights in it recently.
I think its seen as a bigger deal in other countries than here, we've been brainwashed into thinking its all about top 4 and the Champions League. But unless you support one of the top 4 or 5 teams there's fuck all to play for
Good point about seville. Three years running they won it. Its the overloaded early stages that spoil it. Who wants to play FC KazakhstanI in the middle of July? Apart from Wolves?

Last edited:
We really need a wing back thats better defensively, possibly two. Left back is the more urgent side but there seem to be more RBs around, so perhaps Freddie can cover LB?

That, a striker and winger are absolutely essential. The bare minimum.
The full back positions are a big problem. Huge. Then at least one MF GK winger and somebody who can stick the ball in the net at PL level.

The full back positions are a big problem. Huge. Then at least one MF GK winger and somebody who can stick the ball in the net at PL level.

Not huge. The players we have there are average PL standard. No worse. In Guilbert and Targett we have two players who after a year getting used to the PL may well improve. In the last 4 games the defence wasn't the problem.

It's always nice to have better than what you've got. The critical thing with us is getting a functioning attack which can perform game after game. Rather than rely on the odd moment of inspiration from Jack, Connor or even Trez.

With the new season starting 4 weeks tomorrow, plus some/many of our players on holibobs in quarantine countries, anyone else worried we won’t be ready for the new campaign (fitness, tactics and new recruits?)
We won't be the only ones if we aren't Wolves players are off now till September 1st I would say everyones in the same boat these are unique times.

With the new season starting 4 weeks tomorrow, plus some/many of our players on holibobs in quarantine countries, anyone else worried we won’t be ready for the new campaign (fitness, tactics and new recruits?)
footballers are special they'll come back have a COVID test and carry on training with their mates who have also been all over the world breaking lockdown rules

It's a
Good point about seville. Three years running they won it. Its the overloaded early stages that spoil it. Who wants to play FC KazakhstanI in the middle of July? Apart from Wolves?

Just wait till the 3rd UEFA tournament starts season after next. I think that's going to be a dumping ground for the Kazakhstani type sides with only 1 qualifier each from the big European leagues. As for the Europa they never should have changed the format. The old UEFA cup was great.

I'm annoyed that the transfer window is open 2 months after the start of the season. Season probably wont get going properly until Christmas, by which time a huge amount of points will already have been won and lost. Hopefully we are one of the sides that can benefit from the rush since we aren't in Europe etc., but I doubt it.

I'm annoyed that the transfer window is open 2 months after the start of the season. Season probably wont get going properly until Christmas, by which time a huge amount of points will already have been won and lost. Hopefully we are one of the sides that can benefit from the rush since we aren't in Europe etc., but I doubt it.
That’s my worry also, massively disruptive having games before window is shut, yes you can have a look see and still buy, but I’d hate the saga of say JG staying / going hanging over us 6 or 7 games in 😤

That’s my worry also, massively disruptive having games before window is shut, yes you can have a look see and still buy, but I’d hate the saga of say JG staying / going hanging over us 6 or 7 games in 😤
Especially if we have a tough run of fixtures first few games and are hovering around the drop zone.

Then again, until last season, that's how it's always been, so nothing new for the club to deal with.

footballers are special they'll come back have a COVID test and carry on training with their mates who have also been all over the world breaking lockdown rules
Spoken like the true partner of a nurse ;)

Last summer it closed before the season kicked off, but the problem is other European leagues didnt so you still have the issue of foreign clubs sniffing around your squad. If our window has already closed there is no chance to replace them until January. Its all swings and roundabouts for me - unless all leagues start on the same date you wont get a perfect solution

Status
Not open for further replies.