The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 80 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Edouard just has the look of a quality player, it's not just goals but the amount of goals he creates as a centre forward. He's also younger than someone like Watkins.

Lest we forget that players like Jay Rodriguez, McBurnie, Che Adams, Dwight Gayle etc were all banging in over 20 goals in the Championship and couldn't hit a fucking barn door at the premier league level.

I haven't got a view on either , not seen enough of them , but plenty on here have heaped scorn on buying Belgian league players etc , so signing a player from a lesser league (SPL) maybe could be treated in the same way.

It does'nt matter who we buy, once we get them to Bodymore Heath that will be the end for them. When we bought, Kodjia, Hogan and McCormack they were the three most prolific forwards in the championship. If I have got my numbers right we payed a combined total of 39 million for them. They made 180apps scoring a total of 44 goals (most by Kodjia) That works out at a staggering £886,363 per goal and that does'nt include their wages. I think they must do the coaching in the Dog And Doublet. (That is a pub near the training ground.) If we are ever going to have any success we need to set our sights higher than the championship. Keep buying championship players and thats where we will end up.

I haven't got a view on either , not seen enough of them , but plenty on here have heaped scorn on buying Belgian league players etc , so signing a player from a lesser league (SPL) maybe could be treated in the same way.
It speaks to the fact that we're really not in the market for top quality established players, unless we pull something amazing out of the bag most of our transfers will come from lesser leagues. I certainly feel there's good value out there in Germany and Italy but you'd consider those 'lesser' leagues these days anyway.

As there is sweet FA happening at the moment, I have a question. Who do the playmobil characters in the Vital logo represent?

Edouard just has the look of a quality player, it's not just goals but the amount of goals he creates as a centre forward. He's also younger than someone like Watkins.

Lest we forget that players like Jay Rodriguez, McBurnie, Che Adams, Dwight Gayle etc were all banging in over 20 goals in the Championship and couldn't hit a fucking barn door at the premier league level.

That is true.
Though there are others that have gone on to do well ie. Tammy Abraham.
(I would love it but just don't see us getting him I don't think it's realistic.)

Maybe Watkins could do a Tammy.
Or not.
What I do like is that Smith knows him.
Oh but wait he also knew Jota and look how that turned out.

Hmm.

Especially with the current strange situation ie. not much time/the overall effect it will have on the market (and very little/if any of a pre-season for players to settle), I guess whoever we get in is as much of a gamble as ever but I'd like to see us minimise that risk where possible.

Ie. I would take championship players over the Belgian league please thanks.

I would prefer Divock Origi given that he is one of the few possibly available premier league proven strikers but again I don't know how realistic that actually is.

Definitely want us to aim high and bring in proven quality, but they have a hell of a job on their hands to get this proven prem quality we all want.

I agree with Pangloss that Edouard is more the *type* of striker we need than Watkins, regardless of which would score the more goals for us. Edouard can play across the front three, is strong and looks good at bringing other players in, as opposed to Watkins who looks a more out-and-out goalscorer who may be a bit of a luxury in the way that we play.

However, I've proven time and again to know basically nothing about football and what I say is almost guaranteed to be bollocks.

Given where we are and the consensus i see here, looks like people are going to be disappointed no matter who we sign.

If we want players that will almost certainly improve our first 11 then that would be players like Rice, Zaha, Tammy (prem experience and good at this level). The prices quoted for these player are £50m plus. Some would even question these players ability and the reality is they’re unlikely to want to come here.

Grealish could also be an example of the quality we need and his price (if you believe the papers) is £80m.

This is the market we’re in so risks must be taken on £20-30m players. It won’t please everyone and there will be misses, but i’m afraid that’s where we are.

I’d like Edourd, Max Aarons, Rashica and Benrahma personally. That’d be about £100m with maybe a little change to add an experienced squad CM/CB.

I'd like to think that Watkins from the few games I've seen him play could be one of the front 3, he's very quick and scores goals from out wide, I'm sure this is his first season as a CF and he's banged in as many as Abraham did. Now there is no way on either that the gangly Tammy would be able to play wide with any success.

Now does Dean want him, we don't know, but one thing I do know is if you asked me to recruit 4 people to do a good job in my line of work I'd have 4 names for you in 10 seconds and they'd all be people who I trust and have worked with before.I imagine football is like that to an extent too

I agree with Pangloss that Edouard is more the *type* of striker we need than Watkins, regardless of which would score the more goals for us. Edouard can play across the front three, is strong and looks good at bringing other players in, as opposed to Watkins who looks a more out-and-out goalscorer who may be a bit of a luxury in the way that we play.

However, I've proven time and again to know basically nothing about football and what I say is almost guaranteed to be bollocks.

Watkins has played half his games out wide. Its only this seaon they've played him down the middle. I'd say he is more versatile than Edouard.

yep and he couldn't make the Norwich team in the end, purple patch i think

Big bloody patch, 40 goals over 18 months. Think its more to do with players fitting well into systems. Cant say I remember watching him play for Celtic so no idea why he was so shit up there.

Whoe

Whoever comes in upfront will need the ability to create goals for themselves as we haven’t been able to set up to match a strikers actual strengths for donkeys years, and last season was yet another example of this.

Big bloody patch, 40 goals over 18 months. Think its more to do with players fitting well into systems. Cant say I remember watching him play for Celtic so no idea why he was so shit up there.

37-year-old Defoe looks a top striker up there. Scotland is piss poor you get the odd player like Mcginn these days, We are looking for PL level now, I'm not saying there aren't players there but it's Championship level at and i mean Celtic would be a good Championship side and the rest would be Barnsley

This is what makes me think getting Watkins and Benhrama COULD be our best bet... they SHOULD fit the system....

I dunno!

Deciding to put faith in Smith and this Lange guy and see what happens because actually I have no idea :clown::blah::utv:

It speaks to the fact that we're really not in the market for top quality established players, unless we pull something amazing out of the bag most of our transfers will come from lesser leagues. I certainly feel there's good value out there in Germany and Italy but you'd consider those 'lesser' leagues these days anyway.

Ridiculous thing to say.

I will bang on about my point that none of us know what market we are in , so I don't see any point in getting worked up about it.

We were ranked 3rd in the PL for putting most crosses into the penalty area last season, so if we are going with the same game style I'd say we need someone who can put their headers away.

We don't need a striker. We need an attack. Unless we develop an approach which can allow an attacker to flourish then it's irrelevant who the striker is.

Strikers from the SPL? The name Larsson comes to mind.