The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 79 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

The fees being thrown about are the reason we will most likely end up buying players in from European leagues again. £25m for Benrahma, £40m+ for Sarr - I think £18m for Watkins is a bit steep too unless that's the final fee with add ons.
We could go and pick up good players from Germany, France and Spain for those prices - it just means taking a risk they can get used to the pace and physicality of the game over here
I agree. Someone like Rashica is better than Benrahma and would probably cost a similar amount.

One thing I really like about Ollie Watkins aside from his excellent statistics last season is he is very well spoken, comes across very respectful and intelligent, very similar to Mings in certain ways. He strikes me as someone who has worked his absolute arse off to get out of the lower leagues to where he is now and will keep fighting and growing. I'd definitely be happy with us signing him on paper, be interesting to see how he fits in with McGinn, Grealish and the lads.

I don't know much about Watkins other than he's had a stellar season at Brentford I have to admit.

But for those saying £18 million is steep I think you need to catch up with the times a bit.

£18 million these days isn't very much... I'd almost consider at that price being a 'low risk' signing.

If he didn't have the clause in his contract based on his scoring form he'd most likely command a fee higher than that, when you consider Maupay cost £20million+ last season.

Edouard also has a good record in Europe. It's always worth noting that players like Lewis Grabban and Nakhi Wells are routinely high scorers at the Championship level.
I assume you mean in European competitions eg Europa league rather than when he played in France (as he only played a handful of games), I wouldn’t bank on that as we all know how the level of quality varies in that competition enormously from the occasional top clubs but particularly in the early rounds also a lot of deadwood from minnow leagues in eastern & Northern Europe.

Agree re championship forwards although the same applies for SPL which I think is an even lower standard, and is certainly less competitive between Celtic and the rest compared to the Championship where a lot of teams are fairly equal

I assume you mean in European competitions eg Europa league rather than when he played in France (as he only played a handful of games), I wouldn’t bank on that as we all know how the level of quality varies in that competition enormously from the occasional top clubs but particularly in the early rounds also a lot of deadwood from minnow leagues in eastern & Northern Europe.
I'd rather bank on him than Ollie Watkins. Edouard is vastly superior and a couple years younger.

I don't see that , because we aren't being fed any bull.

Unless you would rather go back to the days of Dougs list.

Yeah, but we are kept in the dark. And, as we know, all these 'pundits' and heresays from here there and everywhere feed us the shit.

What I'm basically saying is - nothing has changed.

POL, I'm sure, no club out there anywhere anytime tells fans or the world who they are after or how much budget they have for improvement.

Agreed. What I'm trying to say is, nothing has changed. We won't know anything until it's happened.

All the stuff off twitter or other 'ITKs' is just heresay.

So we're still kept in the dark (as we always will be) but fed shit my the 'ITKs'.....

Dear me, talk about being misinterpreted

I'd rather bank on him than Ollie Watkins. Edouard is vastly superior and a couple years younger.
Ok well that clears that up if he’s apparently so vastly superior. As I said I’ve never seen Edouard play and yes he has a good record but the Scottish league contains mostly league 1 & 2 standard clubs and a few goals against Serbian and Romanian opposition isn’t exactly definitive proof either

The only good thing about the Doug days for me, was the staff used to fall over themselves to let me know what was going on. Sadly, it is far more professional now and - quite rightly - I hear little to nothing. :p

I've never really liked being itk about something, because if you can't share it, what is the point? And some who swan around, 'I know something, but I can't tell you.' Well fuck off then and don't say anything at all.. :lol:

I digress.

I know we have a big big signing coming. Or not. Might be on, if indeed, the bid goes in for whoever it might or might not be, depending on who the manager might or might not want.

#itk

Cant we have both? Get rid of Samatta and send Davis out on loan?

Just what I was thinking. Buy Edouard and Watkins and get rid of one of Samatta and Wes and send Davis out on loan.

I know little to nothing about either but there seems to be a ground swell of people rating them highly.

*cue buying a 18 yr old ‘wonderkid’ from the Belgian 3rd division.

Edouard just has the look of a quality player, it's not just goals but the amount of goals he creates as a centre forward. He's also younger than someone like Watkins.

Lest we forget that players like Jay Rodriguez, McBurnie, Che Adams, Dwight Gayle etc were all banging in over 20 goals in the Championship and couldn't hit a fucking barn door at the premier league level.