Training ground | Page 3 | Vital Football

Training ground

The pitches at the training ground were rushed in my honest opinion hence the problems that followed, somebody was wanting them ready as soon as possible.

My favourite place name is Dull, in Perthshire. Twinned with Boring in the USA.

Quite often go passed the sign to Dull, on a dreich day it really is dull. Up the road, the Fortingall Arms is worth a visit on a Friday night. Musicians descend from the area and play rock favourites and Scottish Folk, till late. Last time met a Shepherd who only drank Vodka and orange, but about twenty of them, and there were nine dogs in the bar! All listening or enduring the music.

Last edited:
It was an old map (before the OS maps had been redrawn to suit Common Marketeers). The same map shows Wragby Road as 199 ft.View attachment 41166
The modern map still shows it as 7m (I did check). BTW, as you obviously prefer imperial measurements, can you explain to me why they are better than metric please?Chapel Hill.PNG

The modern map still shows it as 7m (I did check). BTW, as you obviously prefer imperial measurements, can you explain to me why they are better than metric please?

I think a metre is a rather large unit when considering heights of less than 10 feet.

The website that I use for old maps has only the OS 7th series in 1:63360 scale - you can compare old maps alongside modern satellite images. Notice the clip of Lincoln I posted has the Instn shown - the Burton Road Institution, previously the Workhouse.

The 1:2500 maps of 1891-1912 I find interesting. That appears to have Chapel Hill as 8 feet.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...3.07151&lon=-0.19926&layers=168&right=BingHyb

The modern map still shows it as 7m (I did check). BTW, as you obviously prefer imperial measurements, can you explain to me why they are better than metric please?View attachment 41167
Working in the building industry, metric is way better than Imperial. Though I'm old enough to be able to translate between both, the thought of dimensioning in imperial does my head in, 7' 6 3/8"? Do me a favour.

I expect 75% of the UK population now only understand metric.

Funny, I thought I asked about the training ground 🤔. But while we’re about it how about Six Mile Bottom in Suffolk (?). My dad always joked about the station master there who would announce a train arrival with a broad Suffolk accent “Suck My Bottom” 😳

We learnt both when I was at school in the late 70s and the 80s. Metric and imperial.
Does only the Americans use imperial now?

We learnt both when I was at school in the late 70s and the 80s. Metric and imperial.
Does only the Americans use imperial now?

I think so. They famously managed to crash a Mars probe into the northern polar cap because it was a joint project and someone forgot to do the conversions in the code.🤣