London Black Lives Matter Protest | Page 24 | Vital Football

London Black Lives Matter Protest

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
I get frustrated when people say we all know about slavery, we learned all about it in school. I'm an old bugger accepted but we received only the slimmest of instruction on the subject and it was never put in context.
It's a cliché but we do keep learning new stuff even as our memories fade. I read this book a couple of years ago and confess it contained a lot I didn't know and made me review a lot of my thinking.

http://www.matthewparker.co.uk/the-sugar-barons/The-Sugar-Barons.html

It's available from Medway libraries when they reopen.

I assumed, wrongly it seems, that school curriculum would address this sort of social inequality - specifically slavery. Having also noted 58`s comments regarding this aspect, surely the issue of education, as a vehicle to better understand the ramifications of slavery and mobility, deserves review and a higher priority.

Amid wide-ranging cries for action surely better education is one that`s actually achievable. Democratically, through representation, Governments/States can make a difference and ensure that social (including, of course, racial) equality is a fundamental message delivered right the way through the schooling process. But it must be constructive education - not a tirade of blame.

Johnny Speight (writter) - Till Death Us Do Part, which included his most famous creation, the controversial bigot Alf Garnett. His shows often explored the themes of racism and sexism through satire.

That's true but he acknowledged that the Alf Garnett figure became a different sort of monster to te one he imagined. A character designed to show the foolishness and bigotry of racism was taken a different way by some. It's interesting becuase Garnett rarely won a single dispute, almost always ended up looking stupid and sometimes nasty. Speight gave him a bit of humanity and he could be sentimental and engage in embarrassing climb downs.

Me too, out of ignorance I suppose but does that make us racists? The fact that, once we became more educated, we stopped laughing as we knew it was wrong, surely means society has moved on somewhat. Its the ones that are still laughing we should worry about

True Nobby and we have the nasty types who don't want to laugh at all. It is better though. I remember Clive Lloyd the cricketer giving an interview in which he calmly pointed out the racism implicit and actual in Love Thy Neighbour. I felt uncomfortable watching that one at the time without being sure why and his words made me think.

There is a story in today’s Mail with the headline - Right wing thugs are to protect monuments from anti racist protesters.

So the protectors are thugs and those destroying are protesters.

The world has turned upside down.

There is a story in today’s Mail with the headline - Right wing thugs are to protect monuments from anti racist protesters.

So the protectors are thugs and those destroying are protesters.

The world has turned upside down.
The headlines have been written in advance.
We all know how they will read.

Oh, so you know better how it is delivered in schools than I do. Ok.

Whoops, sorry 58.
Was only making the point that the people I know happen to all having been taught about slavery. As per previous post where I asked your opinion, either missed last sentence or forgot it. Should have finished with.

But you would know as you work with the current curriculum. Once again apologies for a lazy hurried and not checked post.

Whoops, sorry 58.
Was only making the point that the people I know happen to all having been taught about slavery. As per previous post where I asked your opinion, either missed last sentence or forgot it. Should have finished with.

But you would know as you work with the current curriculum. Once again apologies for a lazy hurried and not checked post.
No need for an apology but thanks anyway. I respect your take on things re freedom but there are times where it is not clear cut imo.

Re slavery, in theory you are correct on materials available but regretably it is almost invariably taught in the way I outlined above.
Very few children are fully aware of how Britain became "Great" and as I said before, that also includes lack of awareness of how the working classes in Britain were ruthlessly exploited. Life expectancy of 19 in Manchester iirc.

It is wrong to judge people purely by modern standards. However, we shouldn't literally put them on a pedestal either.

I like the idea of putting them in museums and or have plaques with context for most of the contentious statues.

It is wrong to judge people purely by modern standards. However, we shouldn't literally put them on a pedestal either.

I like the idea of putting them in museums and or have plaques with context for most of the contentious statues.

Maybe it’s time to just de-escalate the whole issue.

Priti Patel had to defend her brown privilege today.

It doesn't matter what her ethnicity or skin colour, she is an utterly foul and obnoxious woman whose politics I despise entirely.

Even though she is quite good looking I could never ever even imagine a sexual encounter with her. No way, she is just far too repulsive. I'm even feeling a little bit sick right now...

It doesn't matter what her ethnicity or skin colour, she is an utterly foul and obnoxious woman whose politics I despise entirely.

Even though she is quite good looking I could never ever even imagine a sexual encounter with her. No way, she is just far too repulsive. I'm even feeling a little bit sick right now...

But her skin colour did matter to some MPs as they thought her experience of racism could not give an understanding of the racism against a black person.
I also don't like her lol.

She's an MP and Secretary of State, and the question you are asking is whether you would give her one?

I'm sure she'll be gutted

Why was there a need for the second paragraph Budd? Is commenting about the sexual attractiveness of a woman in such a manner any different than commenting about skin colour?