Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 52 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Yes, absolutely. Class will win through. Look at the way we bossed Arsenal yesterday. And we're now on 52 points, well into top half of the table.

So long as they don't scratch the rest of the season AND do relegation based on current positions (which some of them will want to do) we should be OK.
Get some sleep

if by some chance we do stay up by default we have to make big changes to the playing staff and the coaching staff or we will just have another season like this one i for one would like to see a tried and tested manager that can work with bigger name players and that knows this league and top flight football and knows how to set a team up for the team there playing against smith has never managed a top flight club or one as big as villa
we have seen bigger and better managers fail here
we also need a assistant that knows what he is doing .maybe let terry go to chelsea and bring in someone that knows what there doing .how can one of the best defenders this country has had be coach the poorest defence villa have had

when we do go down should we trust in smith .i for one dont think so i think he is a dick . just because he is a fan it shouldnt make him manager he got lucky last season the way jack came back and played his balls off but even when we did win 10 on the trot we still didnt look great and we did finish 5th and got a bit of luck in the play offs

Come on, DS deserves a lot of credit for last season. Mr 4 promotions wouldn't have got us promoted. The way we kept going right through to the end was down to him, even if Jack was a crucial factor.

Whether that means he should stay is a different question, and I don't know the answer. He's been muttering about experience and to me that's always a bad sign, indicates a manager looking for excuses and getting his defence in early. Given the pandemic it's going to be an odd season whether we go down or stay up, one which is likely to affect things like transfers and manager changes, but it's not obvious in what way.

My guess is that either way we'll be looking to sign quality rather than quality and most of our squad will stay. Whether DS still fits what the club is looking for if we're relegated is an open question.

when we do go down should we trust in smith .i for one dont think so i think he is a dick . just because he is a fan it shouldnt make him manager he got lucky last season the way jack came back and played his balls off but even when we did win 10 on the trot we still didnt look great and we did finish 5th and got a bit of luck in the play offs

Yes. If we go down quite rightly his position needs to be reviewed.

As for the rest of your post. Why on earth is he a dick. And lucky?. Whatever. Not blinded by your opinion of him at all are you.

Out of curiosity , did you go to any of those 10 games ?

This is the relegation thread, not the Dean Smith thread. Please post in the appropriate threads.

If the season restarts I hope Smith and the coaching staff have come up with a system to stop us leaking goals. Training and tactics should be concentrating on this. I've just had a look to remind myself of our goals against column and it's awful.The goals for isn't great but it compares reasonably with teams up to 9th place. We've even scored more than Sheffield Utd. Only one team has a worse goal difference than us and they're below us.
Must do better!

I haven't had any belief all season, so don't see any reason to fill myself with optimism now, especially with the fixtures.

To me, we are down either way (on merit, or season re-start) and no amount of 'losing home advantage' would really sway me. But I do - obviously - realise, we have more chance if the season restarted, as football is a 'funny old game, and with the on merit system, it is a done deal.

I would like to think if we do go down on merit, we aren't going to go down the legal route, especially not when you consider the bigger picture in the world at the moment, that we take it like the noble and great club I think we are (I am constantly disappointed in my thinking of what we are!) and fight to get back up.

Out of curiosity , did you go to any of those 10 games ?

I did, great run of results, it didn't mean we turned into a great team though, football is as per my last post, a funny old game. Sometimes you play shite and win, sometimes ... you can figure out the rest.

Amazing run though, at the point most of us had started talking about how we re-build for the next season in the championship - and it wasn't negativity was it? We were dead in the water.

I did, great run of results, it didn't mean we turned into a great team though, football is as per my last post, a funny old game. Sometimes you play shite and win, sometimes ... you can figure out the rest.

Amazing run though, at the point most of us had started talking about how we re-build for the next season in the championship - and it wasn't negativity was it? We were dead in the water.

Well I was responding to wals post where he said it was all down to Jack , didn't play great and got lucky in the play offs. I think that's a bit of rewriting of history tbh.

Well I was responding to wals post where he said it was all down to Jack , didn't play great and got lucky in the play offs. I think that's a bit of rewriting of history tbh.
i just think we lack the ability to change our game at times this season smith and terry look so lost and clueless . and the way he stuck with wesley as a lone forward when it just wasnt working . when we was 3-0 down to city and he still didnt make changes to the team or the shape . even a chimp could have seen we wasnt getting back in to that game the way we was set out .smith seems very stuck in his ways its his way or no way i hope if and when we do go down we can keep hold of mcginn and when jack goes i hope the money is used wisely and bring in a few players that know the league we happen to be in

i just think we lack the ability to change our game at times this season smith and terry look so lost and clueless . and the way he stuck with wesley as a lone forward when it just wasnt working . when we was 3-0 down to city and he still didnt make changes to the team or the shape . even a chimp could have seen we wasnt getting back in to that game the way we was set out .smith seems very stuck in his ways its his way or no way i hope if and when we do go down we can keep hold of mcginn and when jack goes i hope the money is used wisely and bring in a few players that know the league we happen to be in

Don't know how you can say Terry looked lost and clueless. It was in no way down to him. DS is the manager and DS is the sort of manager who will make the decisions, no one else. The big question is what sort of opposition are we going to face if we do restart, and will DS be able to set us up in a way which steers us clear of relegation. It's entirely possible that we can escape, but it's down to DS.

Away matches we have to try not to lose. If we get a point each out of two of our 4 away matches it could be massive. That would leave us needing 3 wins out of our 6 home games, to get us to 36; my guess is that will be enough unless the teams near us have a startling uplift in form. Alternatively, get a win and a draw out of those 4 away matches and we only need 2 wins and draw at home. Nurse, where are my pills?

Can't find a date for when we were supposed to play Newcastle (away). Wasn't it fixed?#
Whatever. I think we have:

Home
Chelsea
Wolves
Man U
Crystal Palace
Arsenal
Sheffield U

Away
Liverpool
Everton
West Ham
Newcastle

By the time we play them, Arsenal, Palace. Everton and Newcastle are probably settling for mid-table security and more worried about getting Covid. Big chances for us. Liverpool will have won the league. Same thing.

Man U, Wolves, Sheffield and Chelsea are still fighting for a European place. Of those, Chelsea haven't been playing that well, will try to attack, and I think we'll have chances. Sheffield normally play with a consistency which is our downfall, but will they?

I fancy us to send West Ham down.

Bring it on. And bring me some more pills.

Just out of interest, is anyone actually fearing relegation?

I don't want to go down. I think a club of our size, stature and fan base deserves top flight football.

I also will be a bit annoyed if we are sent down unfairly via PPG or any other COVID related situation.

However I don't fear going down. I loved our time in the Championship. It was good fun, I enjoyed seeing us win, and the quality of football wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Also I think with the current owners it wouldn't be long until we came back up.

Also, lets not forget we kind of cheated our way up in the first place by being a whinging bunch of jessies against Leeds and getting that goal overturned, so maybe we couldn't really moan about cheated down?

Swings and roundabouts.

All in all I just want football back. Prem is preferable, but Championship will do me. I certainly won't be as gutted as I was last time when it felt like the world was ending.

Can't find a date for when we were supposed to play Newcastle (away). Wasn't it fixed?#
Whatever. I think we have:

Home
Chelsea
Wolves
Man U
Crystal Palace
Arsenal
Sheffield U

Away
Liverpool
Everton
West Ham
Newcastle

By the time we play them, Arsenal, Palace. Everton and Newcastle are probably settling for mid-table security and more worried about getting Covid. Big chances for us. Liverpool will have won the league. Same thing.

Man U, Wolves, Sheffield and Chelsea are still fighting for a European place. Of those, Chelsea haven't been playing that well, will try to attack, and I think we'll have chances. Sheffield normally play with a consistency which is our downfall, but will they?

I fancy us to send West Ham down.

Bring it on. And bring me some more pills.
The big unknown in all of this Mc Parland is will we be up for the fight, and looking at our regular squad there must be a big question mark hanging over them.
Apart from one or two of them I dont see any backs to the wall types in Villa shirts these days.