Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 53 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

The problem as I see it is that when we go down, we'll lose our most talented players.

Then, we'll replace them with average players, or young players with potential (some who haven't played in British football)...... we may just squeeze back up again.

Then, we'll have to try to replace some of those players with players who are a bit better or again have potential (some who, again, haven't played in British football) and we'll finish up were we are right now.

I can't see it, but to me, it is essential we stay up to hold onto our better players and build around them.

The problem as I see it is that when we go down, we'll lose our most talented players.

Then, we'll replace them with average players, or young players with potential (some who haven't played in British football)...... we may just squeeze back up again.

Then, we'll have to try to replace some of those players with players who are a bit better or again have potential (some who, again, haven't played in British football) and we'll finish up were we are right now.

I can't see it, but to me, it is essential we stay up to hold onto our better players and build around them.

We will just become a yo yo club.

Just out of interest, is anyone actually fearing relegation?

I don't want to go down. I think a club of our size, stature and fan base deserves top flight football.

I also will be a bit annoyed if we are sent down unfairly via PPG or any other COVID related situation.

However I don't fear going down. I loved our time in the Championship. It was good fun, I enjoyed seeing us win, and the quality of football wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Also I think with the current owners it wouldn't be long until we came back up.

Also, lets not forget we kind of cheated our way up in the first place by being a whinging bunch of jessies against Leeds and getting that goal overturned, so maybe we couldn't really moan about cheated down?

Swings and roundabouts.

All in all I just want football back. Prem is preferable, but Championship will do me. I certainly won't be as gutted as I was last time when it felt like the world was ending.
Yeah, I fear relegation. I totally fell out of love with football and got a bit depressed about the whole thing last time we went down, especially after I felt we had turned a corner with Sherwood.

I didnt enjoy our time in the championship at all. I didnt enjoy football conversations at the pub because of that "small club fan" label people put on you when you support a lower division side. I didnt like football whatsoever until Smith joined and turned us into something resembling Aston Villa again to be honest.

If anything, this time will be worse. Last time, we were on the brink, practically begging for someone to put a bullet through our brains and relegate us for years. Relegation was thought to maybe allow a rejuvenation of management and playing staff that had been badly needed for 6 or 7 years.

This time, we came up with a successful, club loving manager and a blank squad to build on. We have a lot of young, decent players who we can add to with investment from interested and wealthy owners. Relegation is nothing more than a huge step back.

The big unknown in all of this Mc Parland is will we be up for the fight, and looking at our regular squad there must be a big question mark hanging over them.
Apart from one or two of them I dont see any backs to the wall types in Villa shirts these days.

I don't worry about the squad. I think it's good enough for lower PL. The big question to me is can DS get them playing to their potential over the remaining games, or will the misfires continue?

It will probably define DS's future. The break should help us regroup. We should come back and play like a side fighting to stay in the PL. If we don't then I think he's out.

It's down to DS. That's what he's employed for. His comments about "lack of experience" don't cut it with me; they're comments Bruce would come out with when he couldn't work with the players he had. DS let Hutton go. He loaned Chester to Stoke. Plenty of experience there. JT when asked who surprised him the most when he came to Villa he said Chessie; top player, top bloke.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. Newcastle went down and came back up with almost the same set of players. We're in the position of not needing to sell players. We're also in the position that we have players who are not yet established PL players, or players who need to go because they've gone stale with us.

The bigger question to me is who the manager would be. Newcastle had Benitez. Leeds have Bielsa. Can we get somebody good?

I don't worry about the squad. I think it's good enough for lower PL. The big question to me is can DS get them playing to their potential over the remaining games, or will the misfires continue?

It will probably define DS's future. The break should help us regroup. We should come back and play like a side fighting to stay in the PL. If we don't then I think he's out.

It's down to DS. That's what he's employed for. His comments about "lack of experience" don't cut it with me; they're comments Bruce would come out with when he couldn't work with the players he had. DS let Hutton go. He loaned Chester to Stoke. Plenty of experience there. JT when asked who surprised him the most when he came to Villa he said Chessie; top player, top bloke.
I agree with most of that, but I have a big worry that if in our first game in the restart we concede early they will fold.
The defensive midfield in particular has been incable of doing its job for ninety minutes all season, they provide the back four with no cover whatsoever, and a confident Villa squad should be good enough but I think its fragile.

I agree with most of that, but I have a big worry that if in our first game in the restart we concede early they will fold.
The defensive midfield in particular has been incable of doing its job for ninety minutes all season, they provide the back four with no cover whatsoever, and a confident Villa squad should be good enough but I think its fragile.
Agree, recruitment poor but set up of team has been naieve. Too often we are exposed. Marvelous has done ok but an Ian Taylor would give us a fighting chance. Clearly club didn't see the problem which is scary.

It's true that, with our owners, there may be no need to sell players but that doesn't take into account the ambitions of players and greed of agents.
If we go down I'd say we stand little chance of keeping Jack, SJM, Mings and possibly Samatta if he puts a good few performances before the end of the season.
I enjoyed the competitive nature of the Champioship but I'd rather not spend another uncertain period outside the top flight.

SJM has done absolutely fuck all this season to warrant a big move (obviously a lot of that driven by a lengthy injury) and Mings has hardly distinguished himself at this level. I cannot see clubs clamouring to sign either player in all honestly.

Grealish is the one player we have who would attract serious interest. I'd also see interest in Heaton, who is established at this level and Nakamba, who all things considered has had a pretty good season and you could see how he'd be effective in a better side (kind of like Gueye a few years ago).

Last edited:
I really think nakamba is rubbish but I do take your point in a decent team he may look better. You could say that about any player though

Nakamba's defensive work is extremely good. His distribution is a bit iffy but with less brainless players around him who get into space and demand the ball would help that a lot, enabling him to play the simple ball, something he's more than capable of.

It was the same with Gueye when he was here. Very good defensive work, dodgy distribution as he was consistently forced by those around him to attempt a more difficult pass than necessary.

I can definitely see plenty of suitors for Nakamba.

Just out of interest, is anyone actually fearing relegation?

I don't want to go down. I think a club of our size, stature and fan base deserves top flight football.

I also will be a bit annoyed if we are sent down unfairly via PPG or any other COVID related situation.

However I don't fear going down. I loved our time in the Championship. It was good fun, I enjoyed seeing us win, and the quality of football wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Also I think with the current owners it wouldn't be long until we came back up.

Also, lets not forget we kind of cheated our way up in the first place by being a whinging bunch of jessies against Leeds and getting that goal overturned, so maybe we couldn't really moan about cheated down?

Swings and roundabouts.

All in all I just want football back. Prem is preferable, but Championship will do me. I certainly won't be as gutted as I was last time when it felt like the world was ending.
It will be a case of 'it is what it is' for me. We're in the bottom three and deserve to be there because of the ineptitude of the players and management.

As long as we make positive decisions around management and bring someone better in than Smith and make good investments in players then I'll get over it quickly. If we lose Grealish so be it as that's 100% what I expect to happen if we go down, so there will be no shocks there.

COVID has put a lot of things into perspective. Football isn't that important and the way football is behaving, especially the Premier League, has left a very sour taste in my mouth to the point where I'm questioning whether I can be bothered to watch any of it outside of the Villa.

If we're forced to go down with games remaining then I'd feel a slight sense of injustice but by the same token I 100% expect to us go down even if we played the remaining games and again, we have ourselves to blame for being in the bottom three at this point in time.

I disagree that clubs won't be interested in SJM. After missing out getting him in Scotland I expect Rogers to show interest.He was dead keen. Celtic might even fancy another shot at him. If we go down I expect him to be gone.