Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 54 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Sorry in advance if that sounded harsh... I just don't get it.

Not enoying seeing your team win most weeks because the bullies down the pub tease you? I mean, get a grip.
More like not really seeing the satisfaction of a win in a league where the average squad cost less than Douglas Luiz.

Watching Villa win in the championship and celebrating is like congratulating yourself for not pissing on the toilet seat.

SJM has done absolutely fuck all this season to warrant a big move (obviously a lot of that driven by a lengthy injury) and Mings has hardly distinguished himself at this level. I cannot see clubs clamouring to sign either player in all honestly.

Grealish is the one player we have who would attract serious interest. I'd also see interest in Heaton, who is established at this level and Nakamba, who all things considered has had a pretty good season and you could see how he'd be effective in a better side (kind of like Gueye a few years ago).

I think some players would be picked up if we were relegated and a few clubs could see a bargain deal somewhere, but aside from Grealish and Luiz (based on future potential rather than current performances) I don’t think any of our players are playing “below their level”. And Nakamba? Just can’t see what some others on here see in him, I just don’t think he’s good enough or consistent enough

If we get relegated I'm sure a few of the PL plodders will chance their arm at pickup our players at bargain prices. Only thing is, I don't think we'll be in financial trouble so we don't need to sell, and I think our owners are in it for the long haul and will back us to get back up; everything they've said implies that was their attitude from the word go.

As far our players, developing with us may be a better option than say sitting on the bench at Palace. It depends a lot on how the owners handle relegation but I'm pretty sure they'll be looking for some positivity.

I disagree that clubs won't be interested in SJM. After missing out getting him in Scotland I expect Rogers to show interest.He was dead keen. Celtic might even fancy another shot at him. If we go down I expect him to be gone.

McGinn was receiving plenty of praise from pundits and the media before his injury. He had 2 or 3 below par games late November early December when he looked injured. Personally thought he showed he’s more than capable at this level. There won’t be a shortage of clubs sniffing around him

More like not really seeing the satisfaction of a win in a league where the average squad cost less than Douglas Luiz.

Watching Villa win in the championship and celebrating is like congratulating yourself for not pissing on the toilet seat.
So you are a plastic premiership fan makes not one jot of difference to my support what league were in it's Villa to me.

So you are a plastic premiership fan makes not one jot of difference to my support what league were in it's Villa to me.

I suppose you have to realise mate that anyone under 40 really doesn't know anything else except the PL, what I call the PlayStation generation. Our generation meant if you didn't go you didn't see the game

I suppose you have to realise mate that anyone under 40 really doesn't know anything else except the PL, what I call the PlayStation generation. Our generation meant if you didn't go you didn't see the game
Exactly mate wonder how many young uns these days who support Villa would started off in the third division like I did but I guess it's a different World to what we were bought up in Martin

Well you're not really supporting them if you're happy to see them play substandard football are you?
I don't know how you can take this view yet at every turn make an excuse for Smith's ineptitude this season.

Anyway the whole point of 'support' is to do so through thick and thin, what separates the true fans from the plastic are those fans who turn out to support the club regardless of the level we're in, whether that's the Premier League or League Two.

If you're indexing the amount of support you give to the level we're playing at then that certainly makes you a second class citizen in the hierarchy of fandom.

Well you're not really supporting them if you're happy to see them play substandard football are you?
We are obviously from different era's because that kind of comment is totally alien to me I've celebrated in friendlies from Halesowen to Gateshead admittedly not wildly but celebrated I just see Aston Villa the team my late uncle took me see in 1970 perched on an orange box so I could see the pitch in amongst thousands of holtenders cheering wildly a third division game.Some of the best days of my life have been following the Villa all over the World.For me it's another family I live in South Shields but still go to virtually every game both prem and championship and I would do the same in league 1 or 2 you see it makes no difference to me thats the difference I suppose.

We are obviously from different era's because that kind of comment is totally alien to me I've celebrated in friendlies from Halesowen to Gateshead admittedly not wildly but celebrated I just see Aston Villa the team my late uncle took me see in 1970 perched on an orange box so I could see the pitch in amongst thousands of holtenders cheering wildly a third division game.Some of the best days of my life have been following the Villa all over the World.For me it's another family I live in South Shields but still go to virtually every game both prem and championship and I would do the same in league 1 or 2 you see it makes no difference to me thats the difference I suppose.
I'm not questioning your support, you questioned mine. If all you care about is watching 11 men in claret and blue kick a ball about, fair play to you. Unfortunately, the majority of football fans want to see their teams win games of value, hence why tickets to the champions league final sell for thousands while pre season friendlies have less than 50% attendance.

It's not plastic to want to see your team do well and get depressed and disappointed when they're in a league they are too good for. And I'm not "premiership generation". I've seen us win everything and unfortunately, watching us beat a championship team on a tuesday night doesn't feel as special as playing Liverpool or Utd.

hence why tickets to the champions league final sell for thousands while pre season friendlies have less than 50% attendance.
No, they sell for thousands because most of them are given away to corporate sponsors and the like, leaving relatively few available for the real fans who want to see their team in a final, making the prices exceptionally high for a one-off football match.

But none of this has anything to do with relegation, so let's try and keep on topic if possible.