Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 105 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

There will be legal battles regarding promotion if the league doesn't get finished never mind relegation and we are considerably richer than most clubs I expect Purlow is pretty clued up on that sort of thing that's for sure

Relegation if the season is finished early is an absolute non-starter for exactly that reason. The huge loss of revenues inflicted for the relegated clubs if the season wasn’t fairly completed would be an absolutely impossible battle to get through the courts.

For the promotion issue it’s a bit more nuanced because it’s not guaranteed, for the clubs it’s a loss of hypothetical income only which is yet to be confirmed and is therefore possibly easier to push through legally, although they might just allow the top 2 clubs through anyway as a concession seeing as they’re both clear at the top (although 6 & 7 points with 9 games left is still not certain)

Yes finish the season when it's safe of course, but also when it's safe enough to finish it fairly and consistent with the way it started e.g. At the originally appointed venues , with fans, 3 subs, game over 2 halves of 45 minutes. Anything else isn't fair and if they can't do it it's fair it's null and void.
Next season can then start when safe and they can adjust the format however they want over that entire season.
That is then fair.

Wait for fans to be able to go back, fans will have no football to go back to, that won't be until next year at the earliest, surely?

Certainly not on its own as many industries look to be in dire straights. You only have to see the news on aviation today to realise that, and I'm sure we'll be seeing a different high street by the time this is all over and many more pubs and restaurants gone.

Bad and sad times.

Last edited:
Wait for fans to be able to go back, fans will have no football to go back to, that won't be until next year at the earliest, surely?

Certainly not on its own as many industries look to be in dire straights. You only have to see the news on aviation today to realise that, and I'm sure we'll be seeing a different high street by the time this is all over and many more pubs and restaurants gone.

Bad and sad times.
No, what I said was next season they can do what they want - BCD , 20 minutes each half, 6 subs , whatever and that will be the same from the off for all clubs - so fair.
Completing this season should only be done if the same format it's been played in over 28 or 29 games so far. Any change to that renders it unfair and thus should null and void the season.

The blueprint for being able to finish the season is from South Korea - constant testing and tracking to contain the variables. Their success in controlling the spread of the virus came from dealing with SARS & MARS and learning the lessons. They were prepared.

We have a long way to go before we have the infection rate under control, but it is achievable. Don't get people needing the season to be canned just so we survive. All we have to do is wait and see what happens. I'm firmly with JF, the PL have just played a waiting game, it's the media that have had to speculate and entertain ridiculous theories to fuel the various arguments. If we go down, so what, we'll be back. If we survive we'll have done so on merit.

Is it the Premier League at all costs for most around here?

No, what I said was next season they can do what they want - BCD , 20 minutes each half, 6 subs , whatever and that will be the same from the off for all clubs - so fair.
Completing this season should only be done if the same format it's been played in over 28 or 29 games so far. Any change to that renders it unfair and thus should null and void the season.

Ah, with you now sir!

The blueprint for being able to finish the season is from South Korea - constant testing and tracking to contain the variables. Their success in controlling the spread of the virus came from dealing with SARS & MARS and learning the lessons. They were prepared.

We have a long way to go before we have the infection rate under control, but it is achievable. Don't get people needing the season to be canned just so we survive. All we have to do is wait and see what happens. I'm firmly with JF, the PL have just played a waiting game, it's the media that have had to speculate and entertain ridiculous theories to fuel the various arguments. If we go down, so what, we'll be back. If we survive we'll have done so on merit.

Ah cool, thought I was going mad all alone here!

It came up, via journalist Andy Dunn, on the briefings today and Raab confirmed the Gov are in talks, would like - IF SAFE (!) - a resumption of football/sport for the moral of the country.

I just don't see the point in finishing the season at the expense of next season. Easier to just null and void everything and get on with planning for season 20-21 and start that when life has got back to a sense of normality which isn't likely for at least 3/4 months at the earliest.

Ah cool, thought I was going mad all alone here!

It came up, via journalist Andy Dunn, on the briefings today and Raab confirmed the Gov are in talks, would like - IF SAFE (!) - a resumption of football/sport for the moral of the country.
Yeah, I just think people are grasping at straws to survive at any cost. Much prefer to finish the season and survive on merit :wahey:

I get that we must safeguard the most vulnerable but the economy cannot sustain this indefinitely, we must resume some level of normality and "outdoor" activities are seen as less risky. The USA will be a huge test case, especially the states that have come out if lockdown.

Yeah, I just think people are grasping at straws to survive at any cost. Much prefer to finish the season and survive on merit :wahey:

I get that we must safeguard the most vulnerable but the economy cannot sustain this indefinitely, we must resume some level of normality and "outdoor" activities are seen as less risky. The USA will be a huge test case, especially the states that have come out if lockdown.

Well Dean Smith said the club are for finishing the season , so I think you are on the same page as the club.

You could not make this up. According to the Times ( dont know how to link on a phone ) Liverpool and Chelsea for 2 want the WSL abandoned due to player safety concerns. Nothing to do will the Liverpool ladies team being in danger of relegation obviouly. I just dont know where to start with that lolol

Just for clarity i think the season should be stopped and either we go down on average points or not. I dont care much either way in the current situation.

The FA, The PFA, The Premier League, The EFL, The Government. It really is the blind leading the blind.
I'm beginning to think that , think of the worst possible way forward to agree on and that is what they will come up with.
We , after all are living in a country with the worst death rate in Europe thanks to gross negligence from our leaders / protectors .

In fairness Sil, that's the media headline. The reality is not all countries have yet recorded non hospital deaths and the headline doesn't acknowledge overall population levels.

On the population front alone, Italy for a start remains ahead of us.

Small beer given the losses all countries have suffered, and yes, we could well end up there but it's another pointless media criticism that serves no purpose. Just as the 'Vallance criticises Gov' when he simply said more testing earlier on (even though we couldn't do it) would've been better.

It's like DS saying winning ten straight matches this year would've left us in a better position - it's pointless, we didn't. The same as saying win our remaining matches and we'll be in a better position - we won't, the debate is will we win enough, not all.

I think its thanks to coronavirus personally and all countries have made mistakes that are obvious with hindsight which is such a wonderful gift. Also interesting the French have discovered a case from December. I wonder how long it or rather the news was suppresed in China at the start?

In fairness Sil, that's the media headline. The reality is not all countries have yet recorded non hospital deaths and the headline doesn't acknowledge overall population levels.

On the population front alone, Italy for a start remains ahead of us.

Small beer given the losses all countries have suffered, and yes, we could well end up there but it's another pointless media criticism that serves no purpose. Just as the 'Vallance criticises Gov' when he simply said more testing earlier on (even though we couldn't do it) would've been better.

It's like DS saying winning ten straight matches this year would've left us in a better position - it's pointless, we didn't. The same as saying win our remaining matches and we'll be in a better position - we won't, the debate is will we win enough, not all.
That's a fair point Mike and I do totally agree the stats aren't apples for apples. Just concerned who we have in charge really , from herd immunity to shortened halves, to PPE / VAR , we are being led by imbeciles.

I think its thanks to coronavirus personally and all countries have made mistakes that are obvious with hindsight which is such a wonderful gift. Also interesting the French have discovered a case from December. I wonder how long it or rather the news was suppresed in China at the start?
With origin cases beginning to change, I'm actually moving further away from China cover up to this genuinely did take everyone by surprise. And it hit earlier than we first thought and established itself before we even realised it was here.

Be interesting to see if other countries follow that French announcement really.

That's a fair point Mike and I do totally agree the stats aren't apples for apples. Just concerned who we have in charge really , from herd immunity to shortened halves, to PPE / VAR , we are being led by imbeciles.

Yup, by no means am I not happy to attack Bojo and the Tory hacks but there is a lot of unfounded/created criticism going round (often with hindsight). Plenty can be thrown at them, but until numbers can be assessed and compared properly it's a media cumshot doing it now.

I more than agree with the second half of your comment!

But I am again bitter here, as this isn't the industry I trained/qualified in back in my teens/20's. I actually got bollocked for a headline far softer than the BBC now run by my tutor for being too sensational and misrepresenting the story in advance when it actually didn't lol

Then again, even as one of the better outlets, the likes of Kuensburg (sp) don't know the difference between incubate and intubate as well as a whole host of other errors I've noticed (and then seen others pick out online lol).

Last edited: