Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 104 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

They're coming up with all sorts of bullshit right now, including floating the idea of shorter halves https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

If you can't play it properly then don't fucking bother with it at all.

And yet when I suggested diving suits or astronaut suits, they said it wasn't realistic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, it is either safe, or it isn't. Changing the times won't make any difference to that They really are a stupid lot aren't they?

When you take all this into consideration it seems totally crazy that people want to put anyone’s health potentially at risk in order to start and force the finish of the season.

But I think the talks (or at least my talk, no idea of the others, probably is just money!) are to see IF it could possibly be safe, in June/July. IF not a definite it is.

Looks reasonable to explore, if the conclusion comes still not safe, other industry still not being eased, social distancing at all times still 100% needed, then it will still be a no, but it will have been worth exploring, even if only to come to the conclusions necessary for next season.

:unsure:

:shrug:

I explored the options in my head pretty quickly and came to a conclusion weeks ago that other people are a bit slow of thought;)

They're coming up with all sorts of bullshit right now, including floating the idea of shorter halves https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

If you can't play it properly then don't fucking bother with it at all.

That Gordon Taylor is an arse though, he showed that with the pay debacle a few weeks ago. I don’t think he really has a clue.

The timings of the halves are determined by the “laws of the game” and by the league - it’s quite a fundamental part of it. In other words it wouldn’t be official football if they changed it. Might as well suggest playing 5 a side Futsal instead or even a game of cricket to decide the season

"The Premier League has said if they're allowed to play then they will be in a position to talk to us about support for the lower leagues," he added.

"We await that day - discussions to date, I think it's fair to say, have been limited.":shake:

This was the bit that caught my eye. Bit of a veiled threat I thought.

Parry, who was giving evidence alongside England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison and Rugby Football Union CEO Bill Sweeney, said he still expected three clubs to be promoted from the Championship to Premier League.

He added that it could get "very messy" if the threat of relegation from the top flight was removed - as has been reported.

"The Premier League is aware of our position on that," he stated, going on to suggest "lawyers are going to get wealthy" if the Premier League opted not to relegate three teams.

There will be legal battles regarding promotion if the league doesn't get finished never mind relegation and we are considerably richer than most clubs I expect Purlow is pretty clued up on that sort of thing that's for sure

This was the bit that caught my eye. Bit of a veiled threat I thought.

Parry, who was giving evidence alongside England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison and Rugby Football Union CEO Bill Sweeney, said he still expected three clubs to be promoted from the Championship to Premier League.

He added that it could get "very messy" if the threat of relegation from the top flight was removed - as has been reported.

"The Premier League is aware of our position on that," he stated, going on to suggest "lawyers are going to get wealthy" if the Premier League opted not to relegate three teams.

A bit of cloud cuckoo land there I think. If the EFL is dependent on the PL baling them ought, how are they going to sue them?

Most of the discussion so far has only centred on the Premier League, but how is the Championship and below going to get played? There's been almost no mention of that as far as I can see. I'm thinking about League One in particular, that's a bit of a clusterf**k because of what's happened to Bury and Bolton this year, it's not far off everyone having played a different number of games!

If you're not the type to get annoyed at that sort of thing, have a look on Twitter to see what Leeds and Albion think of the bottom six's plan to scrap relegation (despite it being unconfirmed). I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that we're bearing the brunt of the criticism, but I've just spent a good 20 minutes laughing my Jacobs off. Do Leeds and Albion really expect us to believe they're now the moral leadership of English football and they haven't got an agenda themselves? It's absolutely laughable! I'd love to see their plans for finishing all the professional leagues in this country.

Thing is, as I've said before, unless the Gov force them, then the PL as a business, is there to protect the PL, not worry about other leagues. Harsh. Greedy. But a simple fact.

Plenty to consider in the article and not just the headline

Rick Parry: English Football League clubs face '£200m hole' by September

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52543735

Agree on a fair bit, especially parachute payments that keep the PL clubs pushing at the top if relegated. The whole thing needs re-setting as he says.

And as I've said in this thread, to a fair few deaf ears and 'couldn't give a toss' to be fair...

Parry said it was "difficult to answer" how many might go out of business.

My one decent contact was concerned on 10, and PL aren't all immune to danger of going bust.

Interesting he is talking about sporting integrity as opposed to ££££££££. How dare he!!!!

Probably most clubs have similar instances as well? Interesting that Villa do want to finish the season. You would think they'd like it null and void really, unless they know it will be done on merit and we'll therefore be down?

Smith saying what I've been saying... this has to be led by the Gov, not a football body... it is just common sense isn't it? They need to say if it is, or isn't safe at some point (bearing in mind, when we started talking about all this, it was early into all of this, no one knew if/how it would all develop death wise.

"From what I'm told, we have to be led by the government at the moment. There's a lot of hypothetical questions out there at the moment but until we get the guidance from the government about how they want to move forward out of this lockdown there are a lot more questions than there are answers at this moment."

The second bit, in bold and italics, is again what I'm been putting forward as common sense and logic, you wait for guidance, you discuss, you go to meetings with the Gov when asked, you then come to a conclusion IF it is safe - if so you play. IF it isn't safe, if so, you don't.

There really has been no need for the league/s not to explore the options and wait for the official guidance as to how we all (and all industry) comes out of, or doesn't come out of this lockdown.

I am with you on the voiding of this season wal and the neutral grounds bit.
With every passing day it will feel like they are cramming games in just in order to finish this season, with little thought given to the next one.
If we do play these games I suppose at least to some extent our survival in the top flight is in our own hands, but I still cant see any justification for docking anyone points next season with so many games left to play.
If they dont play them and come up with some average points system re relegation that would be a total travesty and I would suppoert any club that resorted to litigation, because with so many games left to play it would be unfair.
they want the season to finish so that liverpool can be crowned champions im sure if it was man city winning by that margin then it would be easier to make void this season but because liverpool have never won this league the powers that be want there name on this seasons trophy and of course if there are winners then there has to be losers too
i think this season should be voided and not just because villa look like they are go down but if they was to finish then its like sticking 2 fingers up to all those that have been affected by this . they should just end it now and see what august brings and if we are able to start a new season .just seems wrong to carry on playing this season when people are still dieing and people are greaving

Totally and utterly disagree on the Liverpool thing. I think so much nonsense is talked about Liverpool and their fans. Back in the day, a good few clubs/and us fans were no angels and the facilities were ridiculously poor, no real health and safety. So I just think that is a non argument personally mate.

The rest, I get where you are coming from totally Wal, and this isn't meant to be heartless at all, but people are always dying and people are always, sadly, having to greave. If we start looking at it any other way, then football and all sport, films, concerts, ballet, opera, just about anything entertainment wise just does not matter at all and could just be stopped, full stop.

For some, the distraction of entertainment, is crucial to the quality of life, which is backed up by all sorts of phycology of work and so on studies.

When a flu pandemic happens, and up to 12 000 a year can die from that, it doesn't stop things. Even some who lose people, still then go to the football/other sports/entertaiment, I'm sure we've all seen emotional scenes over the years with people remembering their loved ones, I know the end of season wall of the holteenders in the sky have moved me a few times when deceased friends have come up.

The key to all this, is IF it is deemed safe for players to play. And if players are satisfied it is safe.

If not, then nothing matters and everything should just be turned off, tv, films, radio, everything.

And no, I don't mean health or food before I get stupidly picked up on (not by you Wal)

It isn't about sticking two fingers up to those who have sadly departed, it is sticking two fingers up to whatever attacks us, this time a virus, other times suicide bombers at concerts and so on. Nothing can beat us, unless we let it.

The only factor is if this can be done in a safe and timely fashion. Until we know the easing of lockdown plans, we can't know that and the Gov won't talk to us like adults about it, so we are blind.

I don't want it forced, I don't want football changed as per some of the silly suggestions, I do want players and all involved on match days safe. It looks to me that this can't be done. But that is down to the Gov, medical and scientific experts to conclude.

Yes finish the season when it's safe of course, but also when it's safe enough to finish it fairly and consistent with the way it started e.g. At the originally appointed venues , with fans, 3 subs, game over 2 halves of 45 minutes. Anything else isn't fair and if they can't do it it's fair it's null and void.
Next season can then start when safe and they can adjust the format however they want over that entire season.
That is then fair.