Chairman acts to cut costs.... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Chairman acts to cut costs....

From BBC Sport today.....

The coronavirus outbreak has cleared the English football calendar until at least 30 April, leaving clubs up and down the country with difficult decisions to make as their cashflow dries up.

One of the toughest decisions is what to do about paying players and non-playing staff.

The Professional Footballers' Association has written to all of its members urging them not to agree any reduction or deferral in wages until they have spoken to the union.

Politicians have condemned some Premier League clubs for furloughing non-playing staff, saying they are living in a "moral vacuum."

The Premier League, English Football League, PFA and League Managers' Association met on Wednesday and remain in discussions over "several high-profile matters, including player wages and the resumption of the 2019-20 season."

Here is a round-up of what Premier League clubs have announced regarding pay so far...

Arsenal
The Gunners will pay all their casual workers to the end of April, with a promise to review the situation if the football authorities delay the resumption of the season further.

Bournemouth
Bournemouth are using the government’s furlough scheme, placing “a number of staff” on paid leave while public funds cover 80% of their wages up to £2,500 a month. Bournemouth will top-up the rest to ensure none of their staff lose out financially.

Manager Eddie Howe, assistant boss Jason Tindall, chief executive Neill Blake and technical director Richard Hughes have also taken "significant" voluntary pay cuts amid the crisis.

Brighton
Brighton head coach Graham Potter, deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber and technical director Dan Ashworth have each taken a significant voluntary pay cut for the next three months.

Barber has written to staff to warn that there “may be rougher seas ahead” but reassured them that “all our people, and their families, remain our priority” and has said the club have not made a decision on furloughing yet.

Burnley
Burnley have promised to continue to pay all matchday and non-matchday casual staff during the current shutdown.

Crystal Palace
Chairman Steve Parish promised on 18 March that all employees will receive full pay during the coronavirus outbreak and that matchday staff would not lose out as a result of the suspension of the season.

Everton
Everton have said they are “committed to ensuring that nobody engaged by the club is disadvantaged financially at this challenging time”, guaranteeing payments to casual workers.

Newcastle
Newcastle United were the first Premier League club to place their non-playing staff on temporary leave.

Managing director Lee Charnley instructed club employees that they will still be fully paid, but that they should apply to the government to subsidise 80% of their pay packet.

Norwich
Norwich have made use of the government’s job retention scheme, with the club topping up the 80% pay so that staff will receive their full salary.

The club have also donated over £200,000 to help those in need in Norfolk, made up of the playing squad, coaching staff and executive team donating a percentage of their salaries.

Tottenham
All 550 non-playing staff at Tottenham are taking a 20% pay cut, initially for two months.

Chairman Daniel Levy, who earned £7m last year, is one of those to give up a fifth of their earnings and has called on Premier League players to “do their bit for the football eco-system.”

The remaining clubs may have announced donations or schemes to help the local community and the NHS but have yet to publicly announced what they are doing about pay.

This has nothing to do with sensitivity although I see how it could be construed as being insensitive and the media have certainly taken that angle.

Levy is running a business where ALL revenues have stopped. Not just football. All the ancillary revenues that the stadium earns rely on large gatherings of people. There isn't ANY money coming in, just going out. He needed to act very quickly and as it stands I would imagine the cuts bought the organization a couple of extra months of operating capital. That is all.

His bonus aside, which happened almost a year ago and really isn't relevant except for making headlines, he acted reasonably equitably. And believe me when I say, this was just step one. He likely will have to do more if the TV revenues vanish and large gatherings are forbidden for an extended period of time.

A lot more.

What team players in the PL? what loopholes?

It's got absolutely nothing to do with greed whatsoever.

Club never stole anything from anyone unless everyone lost their freewill., did you?!

Bournmouth's coaches have taken voluntary cuts; I'd like to see the Spurs coaches do the same.

Pretty sure Mutters put up some information yesterday about loop holes. As have ex footballers on the media circuit.

I'm not a legal guy so I don't have a clue what they are, just that some teams have done the total opposite to what you have said. As a minimum some are topping up the remaining 20%.

Stole, given ,winning the lottery who cares the terminology, the Premier league have had it better than 99% of the rest of the country over the last 30 years so I don't have any sympathy for any club. The lower leagues are a different kettle of fish mind as they don't make the money.

Me steal? Nope, never ripped anyone off either. I have been doing free programs for people even though I'm down 60% of my income. I'm more of a man than that **** will ever be.

Agree with your last point.

This has nothing to do with sensitivity although I see how it could be construed as being insensitive and the media have certainly taken that angle.

Levy is running a business where ALL revenues have stopped. Not just football. All the ancillary revenues that the stadium earns rely on large gatherings of people. There isn't ANY money coming in, just going out. He needed to act very quickly and as it stands I would imagine the cuts bought the organization a couple of extra months of operating capital. That is all.

His bonus aside, which happened almost a year ago and really isn't relevant except for making headlines, he acted reasonably equitably. And believe me when I say, this was just step one. He likely will have to do more if the TV revenues vanish and large gatherings are forbidden for an extended period of time.

A lot more.

Everyone's in the same boat. Everyone is losing money one way or another. Some just have class. Levy has zero class and never will.

I'm glad he is getting a hiding from so many people. It won't make him lose sleep though. The man has thicker skin than a rhino.

It's a complicated issue. From a moral point of view , the players could voluntarily take a pay cut to help the club survive and come out the other side. The players are still working though , on tailored fitness programmes at home and by video link. They have to stay as fit as they can for when of if the season resumes.

A lot more.

I do agree with all of that. I think the piece that is overlooked is that he over-communicated and he badly communicated. His communication should have been half the length, sequenced better and more softly worded. It was yet another example of our chairman's personal brand dragging the name of our club down.

Whilst he uses his smarts well financially, they work so badly on other leadership traits like communication. It is incredibly difficult to like the guy based on what he says and how he says it.

I do fear that Levy will find it harder to get his coaching and playing staff to align because of the relationships and cultural piece. He won't be the only one (e.g. West Ham) in this position.

In summary, I think he's played his hand very badly and he doesn't hold the aces this time.

It's a complicated issue. From a moral point of view , the players could voluntarily take a pay cut to help the club survive and come out the other side. The players are still working though , on tailored fitness programmes at home and by video link. They have to stay as fit as they can for when of if the season resumes.

Is staying fit and working on a tailored programme really classed as work? I don't think it is. Should be a standard regime every person should do. Including none athletes.

Is staying fit and working on a tailored programme really classed as work? I don't think it is. Should be a standard regime every person should do. Including none athletes.

For a professional athlete it is work. It forms the main part of their work, unless you are Ledley of course.

For a professional athlete it is work. It forms the main part of their work, unless you are Ledley of course.

When things get more technical I agree. Like working on formations, tactics and studying other teams.

But just keeping fit for me will never be classed as work. It's a basic requirement for any athlete.

When things get more technical I agree. Like working on formations, tactics and studying other teams.

But just keeping fit for me will never be classed as work. It's a basic requirement for any athlete.

I agree RD. Completely. Show up fit or naff off.

I find this disgusting.Other top clubs are paying there non football staff full pay.Managers and players are taking a cut but the people who really need it should not.Levy should not get money from the government.That is for struggling companies so they can keep there staff.

It would be really interesting to know what cashflow would be created if the Spurs players walked away from their bonuses in 2020. We know they are on the highest bonus to base ratio in the Prem so surely that would create a number north of 20% of the overall 1st team salary bucket (guess).

Don't you have to achieve something to get a bonus?!....

This argument is still easy to me. Sky's revenues were £13.6 billion GBP in 2018 with a 1.2b GBP profit. In 2019 they grew to 17.7b GBP and one can only imagine what profits that generated within the Comcast group. In effect they've probably had over 2b GBP profit out of Sky in 2 years and we all know what the Sky Sports package contributes to the overall.

So whilst thinking about Levy and the THFC conversation, firstly understand the cause (TV companies prices and profits) and then the effect (footballers getting paid handsomely). Why are we even talking about the effect, not the cause.

Isn't it clear to everyone that Comcast/Sky only want the good times with English football and aren't stepping up in the bad times. They just want the players to make up the difference so they can renege on their moral obligation to pay up themselves.

It wouldn't hurt if right now The Premier League were to be sharing their problems with Amazon.

Don't you have to achieve something to get a bonus?!....

Very true. I just think it's worth acknowledging that the Spurs players are currently giving 20% or more of their projected earnings back to Levy in cashflow. He can have his digs at them through official communications but he conveniently forgets that their "on target earning" are way down already and he's not hitting salary expense targets. Now if I'm a player and I read Levy say "do their bit", I'm pissed at him and I'm not in the right mood to make any gestures his way.

Pretty sure Mutters put up some information yesterday about loop holes. As have ex footballers on the media circuit.

I'm not a legal guy so I don't have a clue what they are, just that some teams have done the total opposite to what you have said. As a minimum some are topping up the remaining 20%.

Stole, given ,winning the lottery who cares the terminology, the Premier league have had it better than 99% of the rest of the country over the last 30 years so I don't have any sympathy for any club. The lower leagues are a different kettle of fish mind as they don't make the money.

Me steal? Nope, never ripped anyone off either. I have been doing free programs for people even though I'm down 60% of my income. I'm more of a man than that **** will ever be.

Agree with your last point.

Think you've got your wires crossed somewhere, no player (to their shame) has done anything in the PL (yet), other players in lower divisions might have.