Chairman acts to cut costs.... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Chairman acts to cut costs....

So my understanding is that companies are encouraged to keep staff on the books, continue to pay them and then claim the 80% back centrally from the government furlough scheme. In other words 80% government / 20% company cashflow to attain 100% pay to the employee for 3 months. Did I interpret that wrong?

Also, what do we think THFC's 20% saving on salary for the 550 employees amounts to for one quarter? Of course every little helps, but I just can't see that it's much money coming back into the cashflow. By my maths it was one or two million less the furlough contribution back from the government. I could be wrong. I'm struggling to understand whether that justified the demotivation of 550 employees and the amount of optics created. I obviously have no intimacy with your own companies so can't have an opinion there.

What I do get is that THFC just loaded £40m into HMRC for the last 2 sets of financials we've posted. They probably have a case over other clubs to "morally" claim some back as they at least put it in. I also get at a personal level, life can be cheaper right now without travel costs, pubs, eating out, child-care etc. Had a few friends already talking about some unwritten upsides for the pandemic. Still not convinced about the 20% though.

I do sort of feel that Levy has jumped too early and might have deferred all this to next quarter. By then he might have guilted his highly paid footballers and manager to look after their amazing supporting cast of 550 folks and promised to divert it their way. Either way, it's a horrible comm again from Levy but the bigger picture stuff that you talk about should be the main agenda.

You only get the 80% up to a maximum 2,500 per employee if they are furloughed and if they are, they then cannot work and cannot get paid anything by the business.

The support is only for 3 months (it may be extended), so you cannot wait until the next quarter, it starts claiming now if you want the benefit of a whole quarter. And it's clear Levy is being forced to do it to try and mitigate the loss of ALL income.

Have a look at our balance sheet, you'll soon see the club is not stuffed with cash reserves and just 6 months of no income will from my calculations mean the cash is gone and all been used, (if it hasn't already). Fixed Overheads have a run rate of around 10-15 mill per month. Against no income.

The staff have been doing almost no work for the past 2-3 weeks, they have for the main part sitting at home. They will be doing nothing for as long as this lasts.

Losing 20% of income in this present climate when you aren't being asked to do anything is tough, but there are ways to mitigate this loss, which you've touched on.

As I said, Levy, cannot defer for a quarter.

He cannot cut players wages without the agreement of the PFA and so far as I've said I am told they're not being very accomodating. If the PFA dig their heels in, it's going to get really messy.

I don't think it was a horrible comm at all,it was blunt yes, but if he'd sugarcoated it , the media and all the pundits would have seen straight through it - that would have made him look a complete fool.

I think he was absolutely right to get the media and some sections of the fans to see the reality of what no free cash in the bank will do to the transfer market, so the silly talk of he'd have been reading about what might/could/should happen has been well and truly busted by him, which as I've been saying since this blew up, I cannot argue with - someone had to burst these silly expectations the media keeps saying can/will happen.

The chances of us moving players on for what they sit in our balance sheet at looks a big ask, so our balance sheet in respect of intangible assets as will others could be crushed, by the end of the year.

The PL is now running scared, if it cannot restart the league in May, I'm told that all hope of the second media payment(s) will disappear with it and almost certainly any payments from the PL (the PL holds very little in reserve as almost everything is distributed every year).

I'm sorry, I know it's fashionable to kick Levy, but prudence and perhaps even survival is the only things we should be focusing on now - as there is clearly 6-10 PL clubs who will probably go bust if things don't improve quickly; these clubs run on massive debt and have no cash in the bank.

The PL could well be on the verge of shedding 6-10 clubs and propping up the Championship as well.

The loss in sponsorship and commercial revenues as well as no European football could cost the club £150 mill in revenues (or more!). If I'm right we'll be reporting a huge loss for this financial year.

These are very tough decisions to make.

Last edited:
My bonus criteria for Levy.

Deliver the stadium ON TIME and ON BUDGET.

Win at least one trophy.

Develop the squad so as to keep pace with or exceed rivals.

Shame you weren't on the remuneration committee. But the tough part they paid his bonus's on is where we finished and revenue growth, the stadium was part of that number, but not as much as you might think. It is the media that came up with that and once again all I can say is you shouldn't believe everything you read - they made that up.

Good excerpt from here: http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/03/31/low-wage-bill-spurs-tottenhams-stand-87m-profit/

The accounts, just published by Companies House, leave no room for doubt that wage control is the key ingredient of the club’s financial success. Whereas the big Lancashire clubs are faced with staff costs of more than £300 million, the aggregate payroll bill at Tottenham for the year to end-June 2019 was a remarkably thrifty £178.6 million, up from £147.6 million.

There are going to be bigger cuts elsewhere.

You only get the 80% up to a maximum 2,500 per employee if they are furloughed and if they are, they then cannot work and cannot get paid anything by the business.

The support is only for 3 months (it may be extended), so you cannot wait until the next quarter, it starts claiming now if you want the benefit of a whole quarter. And it's clear Levy is being forced to do it to try and mitigate the loss of ALL income.

Have a look at our balance sheet, you'll soon see the club is not stuffed with cash reserves and just 6 months of no income will from my calculations mean the cash if gone and all been used, if it hasn't already. Fixed Overheads have a run rate of around 10-15 mill per month.

The staff have been doing almost no work for the past 2-3 weeks, they have for the main part sitting at home. They will be doing nothing for as long as this lasts.

Losing 20% of income in this present climate when you aren't being asked to do anything is tough, but there are ways to mitigate this loss, which you've touched on.

He cannot cut players wages without the agreement of the PFA and so far as I've said I am told they're not being very accomodating. If the PFA dig their heels in, it's going to get really messy.

I don't think it was a horrible comm at all,it was blunt yes, but if he'd sugarcoated it , the media and all the pundits would have seen straight through it - that would have made him look a complete fool.

I think he was absolutely right to get the media and some sections of the fans to see the reality of what no free cash in the bank will do to the transfer market, so the silly talk of he'd have been reading about what might/could/should happen has been well and truly busted by him, which as I've been saying since this blew up, I cannot argue with - someone had to burst these silly expectations the media keeps saying can/will happen.

The PL is now running scared, if it cannot restart the league in May, I'm told that all hope of the second media payment(s) will disappear with it and almost certainly any payments from the PL (the PL holds very little in reserve as almost everything is distributed every year).

I'm sorry, I know it's fashionable to kick Levy, but prudence and perhaps even survival is the only things we should be focusing on now - as there is clearly 6-10 PL clubs who will probably go bust if things don't improve quickly; these clubs run on massive debt and have no cash in the bank.

The PL could well be on the verge of shedding 6-10 clubs and propping up the Championship as well.

Thanks. So how can Norwich top it up then? Assumed as post furlough time period based on your commentary above.

"The club will top up the money received from the scheme to ensure that all furloughed staff receive their usual salary in full," Norwich said.

"The furloughing of staff will safeguard future jobs and help sustain the club throughout this period."

As for Leeds Utd - https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sa-and-leeds-show-team-spirit-as-wait-goes-on

On Thursday Bielsa, his players, senior coaching staff and club executives accepted a wage deferral in order to protect the jobs and incomes of 272 less well remunerated members of the club’s backroom staff and its army of casual workers. Other teams are now expected to follow suit.

With a £40m annual wage bill becoming unsustainable, first-teamers have agreed to their wages being temporarily capped – a reduction to a sum in the region of £6,000 a week was discussed in recent days – leaving the balance to come when normality is finally restored.

Seems like each club is taking a different approach, but ours and Newcastle are perhaps the most coercive approach of the ones visible. We'll find out more in the coming days.

I also think as football fans we should be prepared to turn on the players if they don't accommodate what is needed to be done to get football clubs through this period.

My wage cap and transfer fee cap idea 15 years ago doesn't seem so foolish now hey?

The Premier League has won the lottery every season with the TV deals and sponsorship deals over the last 20 years, it's their time to give back.

If teams go under so be it. I include Spurs in that.

This situation is bigger than football.

Thanks. So how can Norwich top it up then? Assumed as post furlough time period based on your commentary above.

"The club will top up the money received from the scheme to ensure that all furloughed staff receive their usual salary in full," Norwich said.

"The furloughing of staff will safeguard future jobs and help sustain the club throughout this period."

As for Leeds Utd - https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sa-and-leeds-show-team-spirit-as-wait-goes-on

On Thursday Bielsa, his players, senior coaching staff and club executives accepted a wage deferral in order to protect the jobs and incomes of 272 less well remunerated members of the club’s backroom staff and its army of casual workers. Other teams are now expected to follow suit.

With a £40m annual wage bill becoming unsustainable, first-teamers have agreed to their wages being temporarily capped – a reduction to a sum in the region of £6,000 a week was discussed in recent days – leaving the balance to come when normality is finally restored.

Seems like each club is taking a different approach, but ours and Newcastle are perhaps the most coercive approach of the ones visible. We'll find out more in the coming days.

I also think as football fans we should be prepared to turn on the players if they don't accommodate what is needed to be done to get football clubs through this period.

On Talksport last week a Birmingham player was on and said some of the players took a 50% cut which was their decision. Had nothing to do with the furlough scheme.

Other players refused. Can't remember who it was Gardner?, but he said a lot wouldn't budge on their wages.

Says it all.

Don't know hoe Norwhich are pulling that off, so I'll ask some questions and see what comes back.

I think your wrath should be point at the PFA, it is they that decided to remind all their members that they have their back and their 'interests' to protect - hopefully, we'll have news soon of an agreed approach and conclusion for the PL players, if not no question clubs will start imposing solutions and have the battle with them later.

edit:

Well Norwich seem to have found a loophole that others haven't, but when I know definitively how they've done it I'll update.

ON the players front, the issue is if the players wages are cut, as things stand it's a breach of contract and the player can then walk on a free. The PFA are still digging in.

Transfer fees values have now already dropped by 38% according to Sporting intelligence - that is going to mean huge write-offs for clubs against their balance sheet - and the longer this situation goes on (not playing that is) it's set to drop further - by the time the transfer market recommences, values could be 50% of what they are now, or as one top agent just said - 25%!!

The conversation I've just had suggest few clubs will be able to fund deals.

ALL football stands on the precipice.

Last edited:
Don't know hoe Norwhich are pulling that off, so I'll ask some questions and see what comes back.

I think your wrath should be point at the PFA, it is they that decided to remind all their members that they have their back and their 'interests' to protect - hopefully, we'll have news soon of an agreed approach and conclusion for the PL players, if not no question clubs will start imposing solutions and have the battle with them later.

lol - I have multiple places to share my wrath. Levy's leadership communication style is always in high on that list (not his financial acumen) along with greedy monopolies like Sky television. UEFA and FIFA along with The Premier League form that list along with the press and the media. Don't get me started on the rules and the official. More than happy to add the players and the PFA to a list that gets longer and longer each year :-)

Joking aside, football has been in a dark place for years and I live in hope that this pain barrier it is going through will see a better sport re-appear. A sport that is closer to what us fans desire.

I'm glad the politicians are now getting involved https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

"Moral vacuum" is a great way of describing football.

lol - I have multiple places to share my wrath. Levy's leadership communication style is always in high on that list (not his financial acumen) along with greedy monopolies like Sky television. UEFA and FIFA along with The Premier League form that list along with the press and the media. Don't get me started on the rules and the official. More than happy to add the players and the PFA to a list that gets longer and longer each year :-)

Joking aside, football has been in a dark place for years and I live in hope that this pain barrier it is going through will see a better sport re-appear. A sport that is closer to what us fans desire.

I'm glad the politicians are now getting involved https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

edit:

Well Norwich seem to have found a loophole that others haven't, but when I know definitively how they've done it I'll update.

ON the players front, the issue is if the players wages are cut, as things stand it's a breach of contract and the player can then walk on a free. The PFA are still digging in.

Transfer fees values have now already dropped by 38% according to Sporting intelligence - that is going to mean huge write-offs for clubs against their balance sheet - and the longer this situation goes on (not playing that is) it's set to drop further - by the time the transfer market recommences, values could be 50% of what they are now, or as one top agent just said - 25%!!

The conversation I've just had suggest few clubs will be able to fund deals.

ALL football stands on the precipice.

I've never kidded myself (and I'm sure you haven't either) that there was ever any morals in football.

`It will be a brave club that imposes wage cuts that allows a player to walk for free because of a breach of contract.

The best thing that this will force is a reset of transfer fees and wages for a good few years, but eventually, the lunacy will start again.

At the moment, it's easy to see a good few clubs going into receivership; the number of transfer fees payments due between clubs is frightening - for the clubs this means NOT paying payments when due and the governing body getting involved to sanction clubs - this is a mess of biblical proportions.

lawyers are going to make a fortune from all this.

I've never kidded myself (and I'm sure you haven't either) that there was ever any morals in football.

`It will be a brave club that imposes wage cuts that allows a player to walk for free because of a breach of contract.

The best thing that this will force is a reset of transfer fees and wages for a good few years, but eventually, the lunacy will start again.

At the moment, it's easy to see a good few clubs going into receivership; the number of transfer fees payments due between clubs is frightening - for the clubs this means NOT paying payments when due and the governing body getting involved to sanction clubs - this is a mess of biblical proportions.

lawyers are going to make a fortune from all this.

What's interesting is that if you looked at clubs intangible asset valuations on the balance sheet they are probably much lower anyway. I'm sure THFC will be quite keen to re-state Ndomdele's value, declare a loss and pay less tax, obviously within FFP's 3 year rolling criteria. I also bet they woundn't be as forthcoming to offset that loss by revaluing Kane to his realistic value after low-balling him for years.

There's always been a black art to the management of players values on balance sheets. It's only really accurate at the time of purchase as you know the transfer fee and contract length. A few years ago I remember seeing the entire squad valued at something stupid like £120m. Haven't looked recently though.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/premier-league-clubs-push-for-player-wage-cuts-vg3s9xv6v
Premier League clubs are pushing for squads to accept wage cuts after the Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy called on players to “do their bit” to help football cope with the coronavirus crisis.
Spurs have imposed a 20 per cent pay cut on all 550 non-playing staff in a move that leaves players in an embarrassing position if they refuse to accept a reduction in their substantial salaries.
The Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) has been holding out for wage deferrals rather than pay cuts for players and will resume talks with the Premier League and EFL today. Newcastle United have announced their non-playing staff will be placed on furlough, while yesterday Steve Clarke, the Scotland manager, and Ian Maxwell, the SFA chief executive, had 10 per cent wage cuts confirmed.

The average Premier League player earns £3.6 million a year and Levy warned of the economic calamity facing football, pointing out that players at some of Europe’s leading clubs have accepted wage cuts of between 20 and 70 per cent.
He said: “We have seen some of the biggest clubs in the world such as Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Juventus take steps to reduce their costs. Yesterday, having already taken steps to reduce costs, we ourselves made the difficult decision — in order to protect jobs — to reduce the remuneration of all 550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20 per cent utilising, where appropriate, the government’s furlough scheme. We hope the discussions between the Premier League, PFA and LMA [League Managers Association] will result in players and coaches doing their bit for the football ecosystem.”

Some clubs have expressed concerns that agents will try to stop players accepting a pay cut, and the PFA’s chief executive Gordon Taylor confirmed the union would prefer to see clubs defer wages on the basis that the season will be completed at some stage.
Taylor told The Times: “We want to hold things together and have a joint approach rather than have an ad hoc approach where each club does their own thing.” Leeds United and Birmingham City have unilaterally agreed wage deferments with their playing squads. The Premier League clubs will make a decision at a meeting on Friday.
The chief executive of one Premier League club, who asked to remain anonymous, said deferment of wages would not solve the problem. “We are facing a situation where we are likely to lose gate money by playing behind closed doors, our income has gone off a cliff edge and costs remain the same. Something has got to give,” he said.
Taylor added that the date for the suspension period for football would need to be extended from April 30 to the end of May. “The data coming through on the virus is not good and we have to address the issues,” he said.
Newcastle and Tottenham have already begun the process of furloughing non-playing staff, with Norwich City joining them last night.
Spurs’s announcement came as club accounts revealed that Levy is the highest-paid club executive in the Premier League, receiving £7 million last season, which included a £3 million bonus for the completion of the club’s new stadium.
Harry Kane, the Spurs captain, created uncertainty over his future on Sunday but Levy said: “When I read or hear stories about player transfers this summer like nothing has happened, people need to wake up to the enormity of what is happening around us. Football cannot operate in a bubble.”
The decision by Spurs and Newcastle to use the government’s coronavirus job retention scheme, which allows staff to claim 80 per cent of their wages to a maximum of £2,500 per month, has raised eyebrows.
Meanwhile, Uefa will tell its 55 member associations today of the latest options being drawn up, with the most optimistic looking at finishing before the end of June and another involving matches resuming in August, with next season delayed and shortened.
The Bundesliga is forming a plan to resume matches behind closed doors but with players and staff being tested for the virus, while the Italian League has put forward a proposal to suspend wages for four months; a counter-proposal from the players’ union is asking for a one-month freeze.

Who remembers double headers when they played? End of season when you had to play the same team twice, you'd just play 2 games back to back of 60 mins each.

I say start next season as normal in August and every time you meet a team that you missed playing in the 19/20 season you just play a double header :-)

Have a look at our balance sheet, you'll soon see the club is not stuffed with cash reserves and just 6 months of no income will from my calculations mean the cash is gone and all been used, (if it hasn't already). Fixed Overheads have a run rate of around 10-15 mill per month. Against no income.

The chances of us moving players on for what they sit in our balance sheet at looks a big ask, so our balance sheet in respect of intangible assets as will others could be crushed, by the end of the year.

The loss in sponsorship and commercial revenues as well as no European football could cost the club £150 mill in revenues (or more!). If I'm right we'll be reporting a huge loss for this financial year.

Damn you for your educated and knowledgable view on all this Ex! - Haters gonna hate, but I agree, the statement wasn't sugarcoated, but touched on everything that needed to be said in a completely alien and unexpected situation.

I've not heard from my CEO in a week because he's probably working all hours to get his head around how he saves his business and his staff!
Some have been furloughed, some laid off and who knows what for myself and other 'skilled' colleagues, as he's yet to make that call!

Any human being with a business (in my opinion) would:
1 - look after yourself first (and your family)
2 - do what is necessary to save/support your staff
3 - do what you can/have to do, to save your business
4 - prey!

Damn you for your educated and knowledgable view on all this Ex! - Haters gonna hate, but I agree, the statement wasn't sugarcoated, but touched on everything that needed to be said in a completely alien and unexpected situation.

I've not heard from my CEO in a week because he's probably working all hours to get his head around how he saves his business and his staff!
Some have been furloughed, some laid off and who knows what for myself and other 'skilled' colleagues, as he's yet to make that call!

Any human being with a business (in my opinion) would:
1 - look after yourself first (and your family)
2 - do what is necessary to save/support your staff
3 - do what you can/have to do, to save your business
4 - prey!

All I can honestly say is the stress of dealing with Banks, finance houses, staff (who all want to see real hope/guarantees that they aren't going to be laid off or made redundant) isn't healthy - most businesses can work in a fairly predicatable manner, but when you can't really predict anything other than explore multiple scenarios over timelines you have no control over and permutations and influences that are just as difficult to predict, it makes for some sleepless nights.

The cash on the balance sheet is often what I call 'paper money' so it's an instant in time that has long since been superseded by operations of the businesses.

90% of whom I'm dealing with are all in the same boat, some have seen a lifetimes work disappear almost overnight.

As far as I'm concerned Levy's first duty is to the business, then the employees and then to his family - and I bet he's doing his fair share of praying too; I've done some more calculations overnight and if the season ends where we are now, I estimate the loose of revenues (excluding media payments) at £132 mill with around 30% of the next asset values on the balance sheet which would mean we would almost certainly be heading towards breaching our banking covenants - at which point either the lenders would show some understanding or could force the issue and either make Spurs go cap in hand to the major shareholder of ENIC to stump up share capital to almost the same exposure - I am not confident 'Uncle Joe' would do that - his income across all his businesses that he's involved in, is now effectively NIL. And his cash position was never what fans ever believed it is/was.

He lost around ¢500 mill in the credit crunch days, but eventually (on paper) regrew his assets., how he would feel about taking a loss on paper like that yet again (actually I think it will be close to 1.5 bill as the assets are devalued and using a very large chunk of his cash resources, is another matter and a topic of huge speculation.

Just with that knowledge alone, what Levy has had to do makes absolute sense - I personally would now be hammering the PFA to act reasonably and let me drop players salaries by 30-40% in the short term and more in the longer term if we're still in this position in 5/6 months time.

As much as I dislike the bloke, he's dead right about this, the players are allowing the PFA look like greedy grabbing bastards with no thought of what's happening around them.

That said, I know of one Spurs player who really gave them what for in the last couple of days (and I hope he is speaking for all our players)...

Coronavirus: Sadiq Khan criticises Premier League footballers for not taking wage reductions

London mayor believes lucrative salaries makes millionaire footballers the first priority to reduce wages after Newcastle, Tottenham and Norwich all put non-playing staff members on furlough

London mayor Sadiq Khan has called on Premier League footballers to take pay-cuts as soon as possible as they have “the greatest shoulders to carry the greatest burden”, following news that Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City have all placed staff on furlough.

Clubs have faced a fierce backlash over plans to utilise the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which will see 80 per cent of wages covered in order to prevent forced redundancies across all businesses.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy announced on Tuesday that they were introducing a 20 per cent pay cut for all 550 staff members and placing them on furlough “where appropriate”, but that the move did not apply to the playing squad or management staff, prompting widespread criticism given that Spurs had filed accounts on the same day that revealed Levy himself was paid £7m for the 2018/19 season which included a £3m deferred bonus payment from the opening of the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

The move to cover employee wages was brought in by chancellor Rishi Sunak last week as the United Kingdom went into lockdown in an effort to contain the spread of Covid-19, but within days a number of football clubs have been forced to turn to the scheme in order to pay staff while all football is suspended – with a blanket ban currently in place until at least the start of May.

That is affecting those staff members who work in areas such as administration, media, catering and hospitality, while matchday workers are also being heavily impacted due to the absence of games, yet Premier League players continue to earn lucrative salaries without any reduction.

“My view as always is that those who are the least well-off should get the most help,” Khan told BBC Five Live on Wednesday.

“Those with the greatest shoulders should carry the greatest burden, and highly-paid football players are people who can carry the greatest burden. They should be the first ones, with the greatest respect, who should sacrifice their salary rather than the person selling the programme or the person who does catering or the person who probably doesn’t get anywhere near the salary that some of the Premier League footballers get.

“It should be those with the broadest shoulders who go first because they can carry the greatest burden and have probably got savings, rather than those who work in catering or hospitality who have probably got no savings and live week by week and who probably won’t get (government) benefits for five weeks.”

Khan’s criticisms were echoed by Julian Knight, chair of the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, who admitted the sight of millionaire footballers claiming the entirety of their wage packet while others suffer reductions is one that doesn’t sit right.

“It sticks in the throat,” said Knight.

“This exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre.”

He added on Twitter: “Furloughing staff is essential for smaller clubs but the big boys of the premier league should be looking to come to a fair arrangement with their stars before they go cap in hand to the taxpayer.”

Talks are ongoing between the Premier League, English Football League, Professional Footballers’ Association and League Managers’ Association over a universal reduction to wages, although Leeds United have already taken measures into their own hands after players, coaches and senior management all deferred their wages to protect the jobs of those less well-off at the club. Birmingham City have asked all players who earn more than £6,000 a week to take a 50 per cent pay cut over the next four months, while further afield Barcelona players have agreed to a 70 per cent salary reduction.

Khan did move to praise the London clubs who have responded to his plea for help earlier this week, with the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, and Crystal Palace all pitching in to help by offering their facilities and medical services to the NHS.

“They have stepped up, I’ve got to be honest with you,” Khan added. “They’ve stepped up in relation to the stadium facilities are accessible and available to the NHS Trust, accommodation to NHS staff and others, they’re cars are being used by NHS staff and the paramedics.

“So that’s why I asked our football clubs and I’ve got to be honest they’ve stepped up. It’s really important that anybody across the country who thinks they’ve got something to offer, don’t wait to be asked. Contact your local NHS Trust or contact your regional mayor or council and ask how you can help.”

Spurs also made their stadium the first community hub to open as part of an ambitious initiative to deliver surplus food to vulnerable Londoners.

As the total raised by The Independent‘s Help The Hungry appeal – in conjunction with our sister title, the Evening Standard – leapt by £300,000 in 24 hours to £850,000, the stadium’s underground “pitch pocket” was transformed into a production line reminiscent of a war effort.

Simon Jordan said yesterday every Premier League team didn't have to wait for approval from the PFA.

They can take matters into their own hands.

He said they have a moral obligation due to the fact the Premier League have taken taken taken and it's their time to give back.

He said anyone doing it our way is classless, greedy and they don't have the spine to deal with the players face to face and are hiding behind the PFA. Not in them exact words but that was the gist.

Bang on the money.

Simon Jordan said yesterday every Premier League team didn't have to wait for approval from the PFA.

They can take matters into their own hands.

He said they have a moral obligation due to the fact the Premier League have taken taken taken and it's their time to give back.

He said anyone doing it our way is classless, greedy and they don't have the spine to deal with the players face to face and are hiding behind the PFA. Not in them exact words but that was the gist.

Bang on the money.

If they did and did it without agreement, the club would be in breach of contract and the player could walk for free - so it's easy for him to say when he has nothing to lose.

'Moral obligation' means nothing in law, which is where, if they did, it would end up.

He is a mouthy **** and as I said, it's easy to piss into a camp when you're not inside it.

The only thing he's bang on about is his big mouth and his ego. It's why he went bust.

Hundreds of players released, lawsuits over transfers and £200MILLION in damages to promotion-chasers... one sports lawyer explains why voiding the 2019-20 season would cause Chaos

Everything around football is up in the air. The season has been suspended for weeks and it is unclear when – and if – it might return. As time goes on, there are more voices calling for the campaign to be called off amid the coronavirus crisis.
They do not seem to factor in the sheer number of issues that would be caused by ending it prematurely. There has been speculation over potential legal action – but what would actually happen if they decided to announce it was over today?
Sportsmail has spoken to sports lawyer David Seligman of Brandsmiths to find out what would happen if the season was rendered null and void...

The Premier League and EFL seasons are up in the air amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis

What happens on that first day?
A lot of EFL clubs will basically get rid of every player they do not want to keep. Every season, EFL clubs release loads of players. They'd save salaries for April, May and June and a month's severance, so four months of wages.
They wouldn't be able to argue force majeure - unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract – because EFL and Premier League contracts don't include those express clauses.
What they might be able to do is argue that the contract is frustrated. It means that for reasons beyond control of the parties you can't do what the contract promises. Contracts could be set aside because of unforeseen events that render the obligation impossible. That applies to employment contracts and loan contracts.

Sportsmail spoke to sports lawyer David Seligman (right) to discuss the possible outcome

A huge number of players could be released in the EFL if clubs can argue for 'frustration'
If you set aside a contract for a player who is engaged to play for you next season they are unlikely to re-sign for you, but if you have a player that you are counting down the days until they leave, the doctrine of frustration would be used to the club's advantages.
Players are unable to play. No players or clubs thought they'd be in this situation. It's physically impossible for the players to fulfill the obligation in the contract.
Frustration is an argument I'd raise on behalf of the clubs to set aside employment contracts and loan players.
It's potentially hundreds of players being released from their deals and clubs having a valid legal basis to do so.

It could lead to potentially hundreds of players being released from their contracts early
Say you want to keep players and they are meant to be getting a bonus for staying up or qualifying for Europe – would they have a right to claiming it?
It depends. Say the season is voided – it depends how the contract is drafted, if it says if we 'retain our status at the end of the 2019-20 season' then it would be pretty hard to argue around it on the basis that they have, albeit in unusual circumstances.
But there will be issues if the season doesn't finish and they decide to relegate the bottom three teams anyway. There are players due for a wage cut if they go down. It's unlikely, but there would be an argument that they haven't been relegated due to performance, so they shouldn't have their wage cut.
The obvious one if they voided the season would be obligations to other clubs for transfers. For example, if a club sold a player to Luton and a clause of the transfer agreement states that if they stay up, they will pay £100,000. The selling club would argue they stayed up so Luton owe them the money. Luton would argue that it is as though the season never happened, so that obligation passes onto next season essentially.
The EFL and Premier League would have to implement some very detailed guidance in an attempt to give clubs clarity in such circumstances.

Wouldn't teams just come to a unanimous agreement?
Clubs throughout the pyramid have vastly different issues to contend with. For example with loan players, if you're in League Two, you might have five players in on loan and decide you don't want to pay for them so you argue the contract has been frustrated.
But a Premier League or Championship side may have 10 out on loan and they will want the money under those loan agreement. They're going to disagree.
If it ended today, the EFL and Premier League will have to set out guidelines or regulations that wouldn't necessarily determine an outcome but can lead to clubs reaching a sensible compromise.
Clubs would then have to come to agreements or simply sue each other.

Premier League clubs and EFL sides might have different attitudes over loan agreements
If English leagues are voided and players are released, could they sign for clubs abroad?
This depends on FIFA and the Member Associations. FIFA will likely let the Member Associations effectively pick their own transfer windows.
Therefore if the Premier League and EFL lobby the FA to keep the window shut and if the registration window is opened by the Spanish Football Federation, say, and Pedro is released by Chelsea due to frustration, Barcelona could bring him in for free to get them over the line.
He might even go to Chelsea and say, 'Release me, I want to go and play abroad'.

Pedro is coming towards the end of his deal with Chelsea and wants to leave in the summer
What about options in contracts?
Options generally have to be activated by the third Saturday in May. But if the season ends today, players might be able to terminate their agreements and sign for another club immediately. That's an issue – clubs would say they didn't have a chance to decide on whether to activate the option, especially when there is no visibility as to when the next season may commence.
How could you extend a contract when you don't know when next season is or ends either? When would it start and finish? How can you negotiate performance-related bonuses? There's so much uncertainty and that always brings disputes.
How long could legal cases go on for?
An option I would advocate would be to set up a Covid arbitration committee to deal with disputes. As it stands, there's FA Rule K arbitration.
They are heard and decided upon quicker than High Court proceedings. But they can drag out. And the arbitrators can be QCs or seasoned lawyers, which can cost £15,000 to £20,000. If it's a dispute of, say, £50,000, it's a large chunk of the potential payout.
EFL clubs have the Player Related Dispute Commission. Whenever I've dealt with it, you rarely get to a final hearing because it takes such a long time that matters usually get settled and both parties take the compromise.
There needs to be an alternative to this. A Covid arbitration committee would be useful as it would likely see many of the same arguments raised with many factual similarities between cases. Precedent could be easily set and the arbitrators would be well versed in the law pertaining to frustration, force majeure and failure of consideration and how that could be applied to these types of cases.

Manchester United are yet to decide if they want to activate a clause in Nemanja Matic's deal
What about sponsors? Would that be an issue?
Sponsorship deals are relatively straightforward contracts – you pay X amount and you gain the value from your brand appearing on shirts etc. There'll be some shirt sponsors who will say they will not pay because the games are not happening. They may argue there is a failure of consideration – an essential element to a contract.
Clubs will counter that by saying that as they've played three quarters of the season, people have bought shirts and there are re-runs of matches on TV so you're still getting the exposure under the contract and so there is no 'total failure' of consideration – the legal test.
Sponsors may also argue frustration, or some contracts may have force majeure clauses in them.
That'll be a huge issue and dispute as sponsorship income is a vital source of revenue for clubs at all levels and sponsorship fees are often paid quarterly. There may be a few defaulting payment this June.