Chairman acts to cut costs.... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chairman acts to cut costs....

I couldn't be more disappointed with Levy over this. This is as bad as a comm as I've seen in a very long time, much worse than his incredibly clumsy stadium comms of a year or two ago. What is similar is that he finishes with the piece he should have started with and he couldn't even script it and turn on his camera and show some real compassion in the process.

I'm also of the impression that THFC shouldn't be taking government money to pay staff. Just do the maths yourselves. If those non-playing staff were on an average £30k each a year that would cost £16.5m in salaries. So for 3 months it might be in the region of £4m for the 3 month furlough. Claiming the piece that is 80%/£2.5k max feels a little classless to me. Levy, Jose and the 1st team squad could cover that with their eyes shut. Based on Levy's personal equity gain in his 38% share of the clubs valuation plus his own salary, he could cover it himself.

So if his first paragraph was all about "I told you so", it was particularly classless to drive a "people need to wake up" message about transfers in the second paragraph. What value could saying this possibly bring to any football fan anywhere in the world? Why even raise the subject on 31st March, Absolute shocking leadership in his communication style.

It's rapidly becoming more urgent for Levy to take a back seat and bring in a new figurehead for our football club. He's a leadership dinosaur !!!

I couldn't be more disappointed with Levy over this. This is as bad as a comm as I've seen in a very long time, much worse than his incredibly clumsy stadium comms of a year or two ago. What is similar is that he finishes with the piece he should have started with and he couldn't even script it and turn on his camera and show some real compassion in the process.

I'm also of the impression that THFC shouldn't be taking government money to pay staff. Just do the maths yourselves. If those non-playing staff were on an average £30k each a year that would cost £16.5m in salaries. So for 3 months it might be in the region of £4m for the 3 month furlough. Claiming the piece that is 80%/£2.5k max feels a little classless to me. Levy, Jose and the 1st team squad could cover that with their eyes shut. Based on Levy's personal equity gain in his 38% share of the clubs valuation plus his own salary, he could cover it himself.

So if his first paragraph was all about "I told you so", it was particularly classless to drive a "people need to wake up" message about transfers in the second paragraph. What value could saying this possibly bring to any football fan anywhere in the world? Why even raise the subject on 31st March, Absolute shocking leadership in his communication style.

It's rapidly becoming more urgent for Levy to take a back seat and bring in a new figurehead for our football club. He's a leadership dinosaur !!!

I fully agree - it was clunky. And he could have definitely made it clearer he was taking a pay cut as lots of idiots have misread it as him docking the tea lady but still taking full salary himself.

I wonder if part of the poor writeup is frustration fuelled by the #LevyOut fans with too much time on their hands rallying at the moment and all the talk of Kane leaving this summer. I saw there's people trying to set up a rival to the THST who claim they will take Levy to task a lot more - they're deluded if they think they'll be given the time of day.

I fully agree - it was clunky. And he could have definitely made it clearer he was taking a pay cut as lots of idiots have misread it as him docking the tea lady but still taking full salary himself.

I wonder if part of the poor writeup is frustration fuelled by the #LevyOut fans with too much time on their hands rallying at the moment and all the talk of Kane leaving this summer. I saw there's people trying to set up a rival to the THST who claim they will take Levy to task a lot more - they're deluded if they think they'll be given the time of day.

Context is an inconvenient truth. But you're in big trouble these days if you are successful.

Just by starting with "This football club is nothing without you, the fans, and the entire Spurs community worldwide. We are one big Spurs family with generations and generations of amazing supporters. During this difficult period is important that we do the right thing etc etc......"....it's not that difficult.

You're absolutely right though. Any supporters trust that think they can find a human soul in the cyborg that runs our football club are deluded.

I think you need to read the detail again:

"550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20% utilising, where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme. We shall continue to review this position."

I have just used it in two companies because the 2.5k 80% (there of )makes no difference to the employees' take-home pay, but makes a huge difference to the cash flows of the businesses at a time when the businesses will be hemorrhaging cash meeting fixed overheads - and that is what Levy will be staring at.

He has done the right and proper thing to do, if he hadn't done this, he would have failed in his fiduciary duty to the club.

As for whether it's morally right or wrong, I'll say this; during my lifetime and via all the businesses I've been involved in, I have done a rough calculation in as much my personal taxation and the taxes I've paid via the businesses and all the employees I've employed, cumulatively have given the taxman in excess of £50+ mill perhaps even alot more.

I've never taken a penny cent off the government for anything; if by taking it's money now it saves their cashflows from deteriorating further faster when no other income is coming in, as far as I'm concerned it's the morally right and proper thing to do, as it will help me retain employees longer, because when this is all over, I want to be left with as many employees and as much money in the companies' bank account that will allow me/the businesses to start spending again asap.

Again, he's pointing the bleeding bloody obvious about the transfers and he must be scratching his head reading the drival the media is still putting out and be thinking they are out of their minds!!

It is still not certain that the media giants will make their second yearly payment - IF they don't (which they are fully entitled not to and it's looking increasingly like they won't) every PL club is going to need every single penny it has then alot more just to stay afloat, so I'm glad that he's burst the nonsensical ballon about big transfer spend in the summer/autumn or whenever it resumes.

Levy is just the man to keep us safe through what could still be a tumultuous year or longer with all sorts of clubs having to go tits up or refinance themselves which could put them back years.

I'm fully aware that my view is unpopular, but in my book thinking of taking it out on Levy now is utterly bonkers.

Last edited:
Just by starting with "This football club is nothing without you, the fans, and the entire Spurs community worldwide. We are one big Spurs family with generations and generations of amazing supporters. During this difficult period is important that we do the right thing etc etc......"....it's not that difficult.

You're absolutely right though. Any supporters trust that think they can find a human soul in the cyborg that runs our football club are deluded.

I'm one of the deluded, he's protecting the best interests of the business, and that is the club.

Last edited:
Ex Muttley's response was to the new supporters trust founded by the most annoying Levy Out campaigners on twitter...

I give them zero chance of landing a meeting so they're just taking idiots money for setting up something that will achieve a grand total of fuck all.

Ex Muttley's response was to the new supporters trust founded by the most annoying Levy Out campaigners on twitter...

I give them zero chance of landing a meeting so they're just taking idiots money for setting up something that will achieve a grand total of fuck all.

Well you have to give them kudos for not for profit entrepreneurial spirit. They could milk a salary from that for a while.

My bonus criteria for Levy.

Deliver the stadium ON TIME and ON BUDGET.

Win at least one trophy.

Develop the squad so as to keep pace with or exceed rivals.

I think you need to read the detail again:

"550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20% utilising, where appropriate, the Government’s furlough scheme. We shall continue to review this position."

I have just used it in two companies because the 2.5k 80% (there of )makes no difference to the employees' take-home pay, but makes a huge difference to the cash flows of the businesses at a time when the businesses will be hemorrhaging cash meeting fixed overheads - and that is what Levy will be staring at.

He has done the right and proper thing to do, if he hadn't done this, he would have failed in his fiduciary duty to the club.

As for whether it's morally right or wrong, I'll say this; during my lifetime and via all the businesses I've been involved in, I have done a rough calculation in as much my personal taxation and the taxes I've paid via the businesses and all the employees I've employed, cumulatively have given the taxman in excess of £50+ mill perhaps even alot more.

I've never taken a penny cent off the government for anything; if by taking it's money now it saves their cashflows from deteriorating further faster when no other income is coming in, as far as I'm concerned it's the morally right and proper thing to do, as it will help me retain employees longer, because when this is all over, I want to be left with as many employees and as much money in the companies' bank account that will allow me/the businesses to start spending again asap.

Again, he's pointing the bleeding bloody obvious about the transfers and he must be scratching his head reading the drival the media is still putting out and be thinking they are out of their minds!!

It is still not certain that the media giants will make their second yearly payment - IF they don't (which they are fully entitled not to and it's looking increasingly like they won't) every PL club is going to need every single penny it has then alot more just to stay afloat, so I'm glad that he's burst the nonsensical ballon about big transfer spend in the summer/autumn or whenever it resumes.

Levy is just the man to keep us safe through what could still be a tumultuous year or longer with all sorts of clubs having to go tits up or refinance themselves which could put them back years.

I'm fully aware that my view is unpopular, but in my book thinking of taking it out on Levy now is utterly bonkers.

So my understanding is that companies are encouraged to keep staff on the books, continue to pay them and then claim the 80% back centrally from the government furlough scheme. In other words 80% government / 20% company cashflow to attain 100% pay to the employee for 3 months. Did I interpret that wrong?

Also, what do we think THFC's 20% saving on salary for the 550 employees amounts to for one quarter? Of course every little helps, but I just can't see that it's much money coming back into the cashflow. By my maths it was one or two million less the furlough contribution back from the government. I could be wrong. I'm struggling to understand whether that justified the demotivation of 550 employees and the amount of optics created. I obviously have no intimacy with your own companies so can't have an opinion there.

What I do get is that THFC just loaded £40m into HMRC for the last 2 sets of financials we've posted. They probably have a case over other clubs to "morally" claim some back as they at least put it in. I also get at a personal level, life can be cheaper right now without travel costs, pubs, eating out, child-care etc. Had a few friends already talking about some unwritten upsides for the pandemic. Still not convinced about the 20% though.

I do sort of feel that Levy has jumped too early and might have deferred all this to next quarter. By then he might have guilted his highly paid footballers and manager to look after their amazing supporting cast of 550 folks and promised to divert it their way. Either way, it's a horrible comm again from Levy but the bigger picture stuff that you talk about should be the main agenda.

In the current circumstances I'm flabbergasted some of you have defended him.

Any organisation that is worth a billion shouldn't be allowed to use the scheme. They have the money already ffs.

I see that other shyster fat boy Ashley has done exactly the same. Two peas in a pod them two are. Or two ***** in a pod that need condemning.

There are billions of average Joe's world wide that will lose everything and you think he should have the right to take up a scheme the government has implemented when they don't need to? Help screwing over most for decades to come?

Just wow.

Thanos give me the gauntlet now.

In the current circumstances I'm flabbergasted some of you have defended him.

Any organisation that is worth a billion shouldn't be allowed to use the scheme. They have the money already ffs.

I see that other shyster fat boy Ashley has done exactly the same. Two peas in a pod them two are. Or two ***** in a pod that need condemning.

There are billions of average Joe's world wide that will lose everything and you think he should have the right to take up a scheme the government has implemented when they don't need to? Help screwing over most for decades to come?

Just wow.

Thanos give me the gauntlet now.

He's made me ashamed to be a Spurs supporter right now to be honest.

I hope him and Uncle Joe get some karma from this, they've shown their true colours once and for all for all to see.