Coronavirus tipping point | Page 25 | Vital Football

Coronavirus tipping point

As usual 'dick head', your link makes my point.

It is a report by some journalist claiming (mis-understanding?) that some Govt. scientists were actively advocating 'herd immunity' as a 'policy'.....
.....which makes no sense - as scientists use 'herd immunity' to describe a natural phenomenon.

If you can produce the Govt. 'manifesto' that declares as a POLICY 'herd immunity' please do so.
To be fair, I've found a quote from Patrick Vallance (Scientific Advisor) that could be misconstrued.
He said that it would take 60% of people to contract the virus for there to be 'herd immunity'.

BUT, the context is that currently there is no vaccine (which is normally the means of creating herd immunity) so Vallance was merely stating that, sometime later this year 'herd immunity' would be reached naturally via infection, rather than by vaccine.

On the one hand Vallance could have been clearer.....
On the other, journalists are notoriously bad at science ( and maths).

You'll have to speak to Bert Cummings or watch Boris' statements on TV, which clearly expound the virtues of herd immunity
Yes of course herd immunity has a 'virtue' - but will happen by 'accident' not by 'policy'.

As in post #481, it can either occur by design (vaccine) or naturally (infection)...
....but as currently there is no vaccine, then herd immunity may be something we have no control over the timing of.

To be fair, I've found a quote from Patrick Vallance (Scientific Advisor) that could be misconstrued.
He said that it would take 60% of people to contract the virus for there to be 'herd immunity'.

BUT, the context is that currently there is no vaccine (which is normally the means of creating herd immunity) so Vallance was merely stating that, sometime later this year 'herd immunity' would be reached naturally via infection, rather than by vaccine.

On the one hand Vallance could have been clearer.....
On the other, journalists are notoriously bad at science ( and maths).
But the policy was openly condemned by two leading bodies regardless of what the media reported - Cummings and his puppet, Boris, got it wrong and his scientists should have known better

But the policy was openly condemned by two leading bodies regardless of what the media reported - Cummings and his puppet, Boris, got it wrong and his scientists should have known better
Either you still don't 'get it' or you refuse to.

(ignorant or mischievous ?) journalists may have mis-reported a passage about herd immunity claiming it as a 'policy' resulting in this imagined 'policy' being 'condemned'.
(...reminds me of the mis-reported and media invented 'dementia tax')

But quite how the Government is expected to prevent herd immunity from occurring naturally (i.e. before vaccine) - without draconian measures that make China look 'liberal' - is a mystery.

Either you still don't 'get it' or you refuse to.

(ignorant or mischievous ?) journalists may have mis-reported a passage about herd immunity claiming it as a 'policy' resulting in this imagined 'policy' being 'condemned'.
(...reminds me of the mis-reported and media invented 'dementia tax')

But quite how the Government is expected to prevent herd immunity from occurring naturally (i.e. before vaccine) - without draconian measures that make China look 'liberal' - is a mystery.
I don't get FFS! It was two weeks into the outbreak FFS before Cummings and his team started advocating the first stages of lockdown FFS.

I don't get FFS! It was two weeks into the outbreak FFS before Cummings and his team started advocating the first stages of lockdown FFS.

From watching all the press releases from the beginning then government policy has been driven by Professor Whitty. If you watched them then you'd know the lack of immediate lockdown was driven by the chief medical officer. I think blaming Cummings is some sort of conspiracy on your part rather than actual reality. No doubt once the emergency is over you'll claim Cummings and Boris have blood on their hands for not handling the outbreak in the way you think they should.

Cummings and his puppet, Boris, got it wrong and his scientists should have known better
You can't accept our nation has elected (with an increased majority) Boris and co.
You really are a bad loser.
You can't even separate your politics from a biological threat.

You can't accept our nation has elected (with an increased majority) Boris and co.
Given Germany has had almost five times as many cases but just 94 deaths.New Zealand have gone for almost a total shut down and have as a result made sure their people are alive.Almost the only ones that have contracted the virus did so in another country. It shows that it is in part a political matter.Boris and every other leader in the world will be judged by their actions. The next few months and even years will tell which leaders lead their counties well.Also which watched there people die while worrying about the business and future .Instead of dealing with today.

Nothing to do with politics; I haven't mentioned politics. Only you and Tarian have

New Zealand so far 66 cases no deaths .Almost all linked to foreign travel.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12318890
Tough measures but it is clearly working.

We're at the low part of the curve at the moment. As I write we are 24 hrs from a 4 week lockdown after internal transmission was confirmed. I would guess we're about 3 weeks behind Europe.
I'm not qualified enough to know if our Government have done the right thing or could do more. They seem to be following Singapores strategy, which I presume was recommended by WHO.
The key thing at the moment is that they have the support of the country even the opposition sounded supportive on tonights news.

We're at the low part of the curve at the moment. As I write we are 24 hrs from a 4 week lockdown after internal transmission was confirmed. I would guess we're about 3 weeks behind Europe.
I'm not qualified enough to know if our Government have done the right thing or could do more. They seem to be following Singapores strategy, which I presume was recommended by WHO.
The key thing at the moment is that they have the support of the country even the opposition sounded supportive on tonights news.
New Zealand's strategy is working not a single death.They are almost in total shutdown. We need to stop all fights. Ferries. Shops must be closed unless they sell essentials etc.It will be tough but it is the only way to stop this.

Leadership is often about doing what is unpopular. That is something a guy like Boris Johnson simply doesn't understand. The 80% for example doesn't work if he has to shut the country down in a few days time.As he almost certainly should have done already judging on figures from where the people have been more isolated.

Leadership is often about doing what is unpopular. That is something a guy like Boris Johnson simply doesn't understand. The 80% for example doesn't work if he has to shut the country down in a few days time.As he almost certainly should have done already judging on figures from where the people have been more isolated.

What like Italy?

With cancellation of rail franchises for six months and other measures probably means a refund of advance tickets for away matches