The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 195 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports this afternoon that he has the Chelsea game to save his job. Next guy then has 3 weeks until the next game. The timing does make sense, giving a new guy plenty of chance to work on the training pitch with the squad but what if we have a false dawn and scrape a draw? Might as well just get it done now IMO

I personally think that changing the manager is the wrong way to go and I am hoping that the owners see it that way too. I personally like Dean Smith but putting that aside, it is just knee jerk to think of getting rid of the manager after just 18 months. If they bring in a replacement will that ensure survival?
If - and it still not mathematically the case - we get relegated, the Dean Smith must be given the chance to get us back up. If by Christmas it is not looking likely, then there should be a change.
Sadly, what is evident these days is patience is in short supply and instant success is the order of the day. My dear old Mom used to say "Rome wasn't built in a day".
I would be devoid of some wonderful memories of Villa in the 70s and 80s if the owner had acted on the slow building of the team that Ron Saunders set about doing - many were critical of his early years in charge but they held their nerve.
I hope that our current owners hold their nerve and not listen to the sensational stories in the press and what some fans post on Twatter. God forbid the bed sheets being unfurled on Saturday.
VTID and in Dean I trust.

i don't blame dean at all its the recruitment as most aren't good enough and errors we do in every game we have give them the goal so straightaway we are chasing the game at the start of the season we looked descent so what has happened we where unlucky not to beat man u at start of season .We should have kept Chester O'Hare and green to start with .We bought big in a left back and hes no better than naylor .You have to blame the bruce recruitment for all mediocre players we still have .

Sadly there is too much player power BUT I can't see anything other than Deano has lost the dressing room totally with his after match comments post Southampton.

You should be able to slate them in public really, if they perform that terribly but i just don't think you can. At least not in our current situation where we need to pull together.

The cup final they were up for it because who doesn't want to win a trophy.

The fact that we reverted straight back to our Southampton-performance ways against Leicester is very worrying to me. Was the huddle all just show and the reality is the dressing room is utterly lost there's never any coming back once that happens we've been in this situation before and it generally just goes from bad to worse.

A real shae since there was so much feelgood after promotion, only those on the inside know for sure but it doesn't look a happy camp to me.

I personally think that changing the manager is the wrong way to go and I am hoping that the owners see it that way too. I personally like Dean Smith but putting that aside, it is just knee jerk to think of getting rid of the manager after just 18 months. If they bring in a replacement will that ensure survival?
If - and it still not mathematically the case - we get relegated, the Dean Smith must be given the chance to get us back up. If by Christmas it is not looking likely, then there should be a change.
Sadly, what is evident these days is patience is in short supply and instant success is the order of the day. My dear old Mom used to say "Rome wasn't built in a day".
I would be devoid of some wonderful memories of Villa in the 70s and 80s if the owner had acted on the slow building of the team that Ron Saunders set about doing - many were critical of his early years in charge but they held their nerve.
I hope that our current owners hold their nerve and not listen to the sensational stories in the press and what some fans post on Twatter. God forbid the bed sheets being unfurled on Saturday.
I agree with much of what you're saying. I just think that there has to be a sign from the team that they're on the right track. Over the years I've seen plenty of teams get relegated and/or have bad spells where you could say they'd had some genuine bad luck, where a single goal here and there was the difference. You could see and sense that the corner could be turned. Our first seasons back in Division 1 under both Ron Saunders and Graham Taylor are cases in point. Currently that's not the case at Villa. We're getting thoroughly outplayed every week and look devoid of any semblance of recovery. At the start of the seaon we could look at matches like Palace away, Dippers at home, Tottenham away, and say we were well in those games. Since December however, I can't remember any....
Dean Smith comes across as a good man and none of us should delight in his demise if he indeed is sacked. But, it's a results business and that will ultimately dictate his future. Emotions run high amongst the fans and we often let it get the better of us, but let's face it, English football wouldn't be the same without it. Try following American sports for a few years and you'll see what I mean... :LOL:

Sorry but looking back to the 70s is a thousand years from where football is now, and the football on offer now is shockingly bad.
Since the beginning of December we’ve played 14 league games and scored 14 goals but we’ve let in 36, over 2.5 per game, his inability to sort out the defence or play 2 up front to at least try and combat the amount we let in are the reasons we can not continue with this management at the helm, if id done my job as poorly as Dean Smiths done his, I wonder if I’d be allowed to continue in it.

We're between a rock and a hard place in more ways than one, I feel like if we want to change managers our only hope is to appoint a fixer but I don't want that either. And if the fixer fails then we've just sacked one of the better people for getting us back up.

In the last twelve games I would have thought we'd have tried at least once to go back to basics. Man mark, simple passes, no fucking around in your own half and two banks behind the ball keeping it tight.

I just think Deano is failing to adapt his way of playing to what he has. The backline and the midfield are so poor I don't know why he hasn't employed two lads to just sit and hold in midfield. The burden of our entire defensive strategy seems to fall on Nakamba. The poor lad is chasing shadows because no matter who we stick in beside him they can't get a foothold in the game. Throwing Luiz in the beside him is almost like sticking Jacob Ramsey in there, its unfair he isn't ready and its showing. It says a lot about Hourihane and Lansbury who are supposed to be senior players.
Dean, please read these words of wisdom. Kami-khazi (sp?) tactics with our defence overun way too easily. Previous post says it all.

I could agree with all you say Claret, if there was even a glimpse of improvement in our play, I too was about in the Ron Saunders days , his team's always tried... not like the bundle of wimps we have a the club at present, and Dean doesnt seem to know how to turn things around ..... as much as I like him I don't think he's premiership level... the other managers seem to have him, outthought.

Not sure why you’ve interpreted my post as being a negative against Smith? Far from it. It’s the opposite. The original post suggested players hadn’t improved under Smith...Jack is a prime example that some players have improved under his tenure but I’m sure there are a few who’ll argue that Jack’s clear development has nothing to do with the current set up.

That will be me 🙋‍♂️. I feel Jack has improved by himself and even for the sake of argument if we assume he improved because of Smith, then what about the rest of the squad who are crap except McG and Heaton? What percentage of the squad has improved? Is that what you expect from a so-called head coach to improve just one player? Why is our football the worst in the league if he is head coach?

...we also ship goals at an alarming rate, go away from home and try to play like the home team and lose, throw games from winning positions, transition from high pressing to being easily counter attacked.

There is so much more to add to that description of all the negatives concerning our team and yet some say we have " improved immeasurably".

That will be me 🙋‍♂️. I feel Jack has improved by himself and even for the sake of argument if we assume he improved because of Smith, then what about the rest of the squad who are crap except McG and Heaton? What percentage of the squad has improved? Is that what you expect from a so-called head coach to improve just one player? Why is our football the worst in the league if he is head coach?
Our football definitely isn't the worst in the league. We have one of the cheapest squads in the league with amongst the least premier league experience yet we are right up there with goals scored and have only won a few less games than the likes of Arsenal and Everton.

And Jack Grealish improved because of the system we play. If we had Bruce or Allardyce since August, Jack grealish wouldn't have close to the same goals or assists record as he does. As good as he is, you need to play on the front foot for a creative player like him to be effective.

Whilst I fully respect people's opinions on here nevertheless, a lot of what I read are excuses and people living more in hope than reality. But of course, that's just my own opinion so I hope I'm wrong and you are right!?

Meanwhile, our position in the table reflects the ongoing problems and the situation now requires 110% commitment and desire from the players for all our remaining games, unlike the half-hearted approach we have seen throughout the season in far too many games when we don't know which Aston Villa are turning up.

At this stage of the season, It shouldn't be necessary to install this mentality into the mind of our players as they should have started the season with the correct attitude however it's now up to Dean Smith and his coaching team to send them out onto the pitch prepared to battle for the club and their own self-pride for what's left of this season

From the manager down to the players - If we all row in the same direction then we have a chance to stay up but continue to show this inconsistency then it will only lead to one conclusion.

Now please go and show us Dean & Co what you are made off and at the very least, please give it your best shot in every remaining game.

UTV.

Honestly, I do not feel they need to be told by Dean where we are in the league and what they need to do about it. They surely know we are going down unless we see effort at the very least even though I feel that alone won't keep us up. There is a reason why those around us if I am not wrong have had at least one win against a top side as they have the determination to not give up which shows in their effort and good ball passing ability, both of which we do not have.

There was someone on here saying in one of the match threads that someday we will win against one top side this season as all the other sides around us have done so. However, honestly, seeing our football whether it is attack or defence, how on earth is that going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.