The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 179 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said currently we are the worst in my opinion. Currently. Not since August. Currently. Yes we are amongst 6 other who could drop agreed. But those other 5 teams seem to be able to pick up odd points against the top 10 teams. We do not. And that's who we are playing. Other teams have bad run ins but like last weekend they WILL pick up points. We, on from what I see out of these players, will not.
So your putting relegation (if it happens) on having to rebuild. Ok fair enough. You've answered my question.

As an aside, a quick scan of the recent form table shows Southampton are pulling worse results than anyone below them. As for us and the immediate mix, over the last five most sides have W1, D1, L3.

Again, it's in our hands....it's what we do with it.

What's noticeable and disappointing is that no players signed by Smith for the Villa have been seen to improve over time - In fact, some have gone backwards which is not a good sign of management.

Having said that it's been that way for years now at Villa Park with players signing for us - Leaving and then improving elsewhere.

We have gambled with an inexperienced group of players not battle hardened to English football, too many of them in the summer overhaul. Samatta's our big hope - stick on his noggin' and he'll score, find a way to make our midfield less porous & leave Trez/El G on the bench.
Don't think we gambled, that suggests we had a choice. We needed a whole new team and that was what was available for the money. Does anyone really think that Maupay, Phillips and Webster would have made the difference (all valued at £20m +)

Don't think we gambled, that suggests we had a choice. We needed a whole new team and that was what was available for the money. Does anyone really think that Maupay, Phillips and Webster would have made the difference (all valued at £20m +)

Put like that no they wouldn't have made the slightest difference

We had Jack for the previous 2 seasons in the championship though and didn't go up. Arguably the team that lost to Fulham waa stronger than the one that beat Derby. Snodgrass, Grabban, Terry, a fully fit Chester, Johnstone should have walked to promotion alongside Jack. Having him was a major advantage but I'm not accepting that Smith just blundered into a 10 game winning streak. That doesn't happen at any level due to one player.

Jack's return from injury was in the same game which began the winning run. What does that tell you? Moreover, remove Jack from the team and we all can agree we would be way worse.

What's noticeable and disappointing is that no players signed by Smith for the Villa have been seen to improve over time - In fact, some have gone backwards which is not a good sign of management.

Having said that it's been that way for years now at Villa Park with players signing for us - Leaving and then improving elsewhere.

Well, Smith has only been here less than 18 months, believe it or not. Mings had little real experience before he bought him and now he's playing for England. Myself I can't think of any which have gone backwards.

Well, Smith has only been here less than 18 months, believe it or not. Mings had little real experience before he bought him and now he's playing for England. Myself I can't think of any which have gone backwards.

And you could argue that some already at the club when Dean Smith arrived have improved immeasurably.....one Jack Grealish is on a completely different level both on the pitch and off it to where he was 18 months ago.....but perhaps that doesn’t count?!

No but Mooy (loan / £5m buy), Cahill (free), Billing (£15m), Rodriguez (£10m) might have helped us pick up more points throughout the season. Anyone with some premier league experience really

And you could argue that some already at the club when Dean Smith arrived have improved immeasurably.....one Jack Grealish is on a completely different level both on the pitch and off it to where he was 18 months ago.....but perhaps that doesn’t count?!
I dont get your point here. Yes, you're right. Jack has improved and reached his potential as a world class footballer since playing under Dean Smith's management style. How is that a negative against Smith?

No but Mooy (loan / £5m buy), Cahill (free), Billing (£15m), Rodriguez (£10m) might have helped us pick up more points throughout the season. Anyone with some premier league experience really

The only one I would have signed out of that lot is Billing.

Hause.........Gone backwards, in my opinion, better at fullback than centre of defence?
Engles........A decent player at the start of the season but his form dropped - Why?
Targett....... No better or worse since he arrived. So no improvement.
Mings.........Played better last season. Still, makes the same mistakes so where is the improvement?
Luiz............. Still, learning due to his age but no real signs of improvement with reading the game and loss of concentration resulting in mistakes.
Jota..............Gone so far backwards people have actually forgotten he's still at the club.
Guilbert..... Read Targett.
Konsa......Came with a good reputation but have you really seen an improvement in him because I haven't and now appears to have lost his confidence?
Nakamba....In fairness, he needs more time to settle into the English game.
Trez...........No improvement in how he reads the game and still runs around like a headless chicken.
Drinkwater....He tries and that's all you can say really because even after more games still no signs of improvement.

Existing squad.

Lansbury............ No improvement.
Houriahane........No improvement.
Davis........... Perhaps some improvement but difficult to tell due to injuries.
McGinn.......I can't say he's improved after such a great last season but badly missed.
Taylor........Deffentally no improvement even in a 5 at the back.
El Ghazi.....No improvement and appears to be more temperamental than he was last season.

Grealish.....Yes, jack has improved however it begs the question of how much better would it have been for the team and results if he wasn't played as a winger on the left-wing and instead given the full-time position in his preferred number ten role with the freedom to influence play all over the pitch?

Credit must be given to our goalkeeper coach Neil Cutler for the work he has done with Nyland and Steer.

Football is all about opinions and these are my opinions which clearly won't win over those with opposite ones, however, I hope collectively they do improve and we stay up!?

Last edited:
Mooy - short term wonder.
Cahill - wasn't leaving London.
Billing - really?
Rodriguez :lol: that'd have down well (I happen to agree as it was only £5m).

I dont get your point here. Yes, you're right. Jack has improved and reached his potential as a world class footballer since playing under Dean Smith's management style. How is that a negative against Smith?
Response to people saying no one has improved under DS mate.

Not sure why you’ve interpreted my post as being a negative against Smith? Far from it. It’s the opposite. The original post suggested players hadn’t improved under Smith...Jack is a prime example that some players have improved under his tenure but I’m sure there are a few who’ll argue that Jack’s clear development has nothing to do with the current set up.

Hause.........Gone backwards in my opinion
Engles........A decent player at the start of the season but his form dropped - Why?
Targett....... No better or worse since he arrived. So no improvement.
Mings.........Played better last season. Still, makes the same mistakes so where is the improvement?
Luiz............. Still, learning due to his age but no real signs of improvement with reading the game and loss of concentration resulting in mistakes.
Jota..............Gone so far backwards people have actually forgotten he's still at the club.
Guilbert..... Read Targett.
Konsa......Came with a good reputation but have you really seen an improvement in him because I haven't and now appears to have lost his confidence?
Nakamba....In fairness, he needs more time to settle into the English game.
Trez...........No improvement in how he reads the game and still runs around like a headless chicken.
Drinkwater....He tries and that's all you can say really because even after more games still no signs of improvement.

Existing squad.

Lansbury............ No improvement.
Houriahane........No improvement.
Davis........... Perhaps some improvement but difficult to tell due to injuries.
McGinn.......I can't say he's improved after such a great last season but badly missed.
Taylor........Deffentally no improvement even in a 5 at the back.
El Ghazi.....No improvement and appears to be more temperamental than he was last season.

Grealish.....Yes, jack has improved however it begs the question of how much better would it have been for the team and results if he wasn't played as a winger on the left-wing and instead given the full-time position in his preferred number ten role with the freedom to influence play all over the pitch?

Credit must be given to our goalkeeper coach Neil Cutler for the work he has done with Nyland and Steer.

Football is all about opinions and these are my opinions which clearly won't win over those with opposite ones however, I won't lose any sleep over it! ;):grinning:

Perhaps judging them over a longer period of time would be more relevant...none of them have much experience playing in the top tier so I don’t think we were going to see massive development in only seven months. Have to say I disagree with your assessment of Neil Taylor...he improved markedly last season....still crap but better than the player I saw before Smith’s arrival. Also think Targett is improving, far from perfect but performing with more confidence and consistency than when he arrived....let’s face it, even Taylor was being picked in front of him initially! Mings has gone from being a forgotten man in Jan 2019 to an England international in 10 months...and as for Jack, whether he’s being played in the correct position is another question and not relevant to the question regarding player improvement under Smith.....where ever he’s played, his contribution last season was immense and this season has far exceeded my expectations and I suspect many others.

Taylor is steady, but not what we need. Targett has been a massive disappointment as I tracked him for ages - but he needs to play in an attacking side to get the best out of him - he's not a defensive left back. Hence I agree with those who feel he'd actually be better further forward delivering crosses etc.

There's been plenty of improvement across the board, there's also been plenty of slip backs - it's football, it's life, it's a redundant chat for me when it comes to DS.

What we'd all agree with I think is our spirit should be better and that's not just down to DS, it's also players taking individual responsibility. Some (new arrivals) have a defence, others need to step up.

Again it's in our hands - let's see them seize it.

Even if we still get relegated, let's not go with a whimper.

Not sure why you’ve interpreted my post as being a negative against Smith? Far from it. It’s the opposite. The original post suggested players hadn’t improved under Smith...Jack is a prime example that some players have improved under his tenure but I’m sure there are a few who’ll argue that Jack’s clear development has nothing to do with the current set up.
Hahahaha sorry mate read it totally wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.