Forest v Millwall | Page 14 | Vital Football

Forest v Millwall

Trying to find a silver lining after last night. Well at least worries that we may lose the likes of Worrall and Cash to big money bids faded after yesterday’s display. Worrall, once again showed he can’t control a big, big centre forward like Gesteede or Smith. Cash showed his ability to get lost upfield is a major weakness. Need at least another season learning the trade.

Going to get slaughtered for this, but I am getting seriously worried about next season.

When you have a club challenging for the playoffs one season and fighting relegation the next, you often see similar traits and we have many of them
  • Team was inherently overachieving compared to the quality of the squad? Check
  • Team overly reliant on 1 or 2 players to score goals? Check
  • Several key players are older, fading or injury prone? Check
  • Other teams have started to suss the tactics? Check
  • Team is unreliable or nervous at home? Check
  • Even when winning, the team struggled to find goals under pressure? Check
  • Problems with atmosphere (in a potentially limited capacity ground)? Check
  • Club is absolutely skint? Check
  • Inability to replace the key goalscorer if he is too old or injured or leaves? Check.
  • Sale of some key players without equal quality replacements? We don't know yet. But our recent record in the transfer market suggests we would be unable to replace Lolley, Cash or Grabban.
Quite simply, we cannot afford another striker who can do what Grabban does unless we stumble across one by a miracle in the lower leagues or get the jump on others; which we haven't the financial resources to do.

And Grabban's goals need replacing at the age of 32.

We are so toothless and have looked more so as the season goes on. The days when we could put three past Luton or Birmingham or QPR away look a long time ago. You can't imagine us scoring 3 at home again this season. It's a while since we scored one.

Obviously see what the summer window brings because that changes everything. And hey, by some miracle we might get promotion. But it does feel that we are going into a decline that the players aren't fit or confident enough to get out of.

It's getting harder to see where the goals come from, especially at home and everyone knows how to take points off us at home. We aren't lucky enough with refereeing decisions to get the breaks we might need to counteract that. We can all see that late season slump that Boro had last year happening.

Like I say, I'll be slaughtered for this but after seeing the accounts I am really worried for next season. Watching that last night was desperate and I think that could easily become the norm. This team don't even really seem to know how they score the goals they do. There isn't a specific way they play that gets goals and without Lolley and Grabban, we would almost certainly be the lowest scorers in the league.

If Villa come down, Lolley goes there. Simple as that. Diakhaby on loan is the standard we can afford in replacement.

Going to get slaughtered for this, but I am getting seriously worried about next season.

When you have a club challenging for the playoffs one season and fighting relegation the next, you often see similar traits and we have many of them
  • Inability to replace the key goalscorer if he is too old or injured or leaves? Check.
  • Sale of some key players without equal quality replacements? We don't know yet. But our recent record in the transfer market suggests we would be unable to replace Lolley, Cash or Grabban.
Quite simply, we cannot afford another striker who can do what Grabban does unless we stumble across one by a miracle in the lower leagues or get the jump on others; which we haven't the financial resources to do.

We are so toothless and have looked more so as the season goes on. The days when we could put three past Luton or Birmingham or QPR away look a long time ago. You can't imagine us scoring 3 at home again this season. It's a while since we scored one.

Obviously see what the summer window brings because that changes everything. And hey, by some miracle we might get promotion. But it does feel that we are going into a decline that the players aren't fit or confident enough to get out of.

It's getting harder to see where the goals come from, especially at home and everyone knows how to take points off us at home. We aren't lucky enough with refereeing decisions to get the breaks we might need to counteract that. We can all see that late season slump that Boro had last year happening.

Like I say, I'll be slaughtered for this but after seeing the accounts I am really worried for next season. Watching that last night was desperate and I think that could easily become the norm. This team don't even really seem to know how they score the goals they do. There isn't a specific way they play that gets goals and without Lolley and Grabban, we would almost certainly be the lowest scorers in the league.

If Villa come down, Lolley goes there. Simple as that. Diakhaby on loan is the standard we can afford in replacement.

Weirdly I was going to post something similar but not as well articulated while ago. I don’t often post as I don’t go to games.
but as well as what you’ve listed what concerns me is the amount of times on sky experts write us off ? Maybe they do know something? But also the amount of opposition fan comments that start with ‘ how are they this high in the league? ‘ starting to see those almost every week.
The only saving grace is the problems we have could be applied to many other clubs.

If we don't go up, we're going down.

Could not agree more. Average players giving 110% for more than 1 season is a big ask. Motivation is the problem in that respect. Bring a couple of top class signings in then you have a bit of a chance, don't and I believe we will struggle.

When we are good we are very good, whole team. When we are bad we are a awful. Last week was awful. Next week?

Re next season the defence is solid as are the wings. Most of the time. The problem is an ageing Grabban, Watson and Sow.

Few of them are tired and carrying knocks Sabri might have to bite the bullet and rest a few for a couple of games, try to get them fresher for the last 6 or 7 for a final push.

Next season if still in the championship the squad needs sorting, I suspect 2 or 3 will go and the money has to be spent better. We haven't the depth to keep a solid push going this season once a key player gets a knock/tired the replacement is not able to fill in well enough. Could be tough next season maybe without Sabri, but you never know most of us thought this season was going to be a slog and we are still in the top 6 all depends on the summer business.

No Billy. No play-offs.

Billy-Davies.jpg
there's always one numpty

While we are on the subject of signing seemingly poor but expensive Portuguese players the allegations swirling around Mr Mendes are a bit worrying.

On the other hand, it is worth remembering that Fulham got battered by Barnsley 0-3 the other week. It happens.

It's all about what you learn from it and how you bounce back and a lot of that is down to desire.

I would be tempted to recall Dawson. Not for Hillsborough though!

I would certainly have Bostock as the understudy to Sow. It should have been that way all season.

I don't want to see Semedo play another game for us. The desire we need does not come across, nor is he reliable enough.

Carvalho needs persisting with

On the other hand, it is worth remembering that Fulham got battered by Barnsley 0-3 the other week. It happens.

It's all about what you learn from it and how you bounce back and a lot of that is down to desire.

I would be tempted to recall Dawson. Not for Hillsborough though!

I would certainly have Bostock as the understudy to Sow. It should have been that way all season.

I don't want to see Semedo play another game for us. The desire we need does not come across, nor is he reliable enough.

Carvalho needs persisting with

It is what it is. When we were discussing the quality of the Championship I said I judged it be the team we have, which is very average. Last night they didn't even managed to ascend to that dizzy height.

Need to change the system at home. Away is fine. Not broke don’t fix it. Home needs a rethink. Apart from Leeds, Derby, Brentford and Birmingham at home we have done nothing.

I thought we looked very average in that first half against derby

Why are we passing into crowded players, I’d say it’s schoolboy but even they know to play into space

Its panic passing

We've all played with players who have done that

Its players who don't feel comfortable on the ball and want to get rid of it as quickly as possible

It's a sign of not having great quality or a loss of confidence at professional level

While we are on the subject of signing seemingly poor but expensive Portuguese players the allegations swirling around Mr Mendes are a bit worrying.

If he gets convicted, hopefully that will remove him as the main decision maker in our club's affairs.