Forest v Millwall | Page 15 | Vital Football

Forest v Millwall

I don't think that there is a single poster on here who doesnt think that a real quality central midfield player is an absolute essential in any team. A player who the opposition fear and who drives the team on. Samba Sow is that player for us. We knew (or I assume we knew) that he was a sick note, he still cost £2 million?. To get what we want would cost £5 million, Cavalho cost ( allegedly) £13 million. We went wrong there and then in my opinion.

Weren’t ready? What do you mean? In what way?
Based on this season, I’d rather have a ‘not ready’ (whatever that means) Carvalho and Bostock than a ‘ready’ Semedo, Yates or Diahkaby.

I’ll put it simply
Silva was in better form than Carvalho
Watson better than Bostock
Sow better than Bostock
Neither made games because we needed game changers on the bench- which we still do and still lack
Unfortunately those Sabri has aren’t good enough or are injured - costa Diakhaby walker etc
The longer away from the pitch the less match fit they are

Having said that they deserve a chance now and both impressed me
I’m not having a go at them - I’m lamenting the fact that they are similar to what we already have. What we need and have needed since June are fast runners on the ball who can control it first- totally different types of player to what we have.

Very frustrating

I think Milwall gave us a lesson in making life easier for the chap crossing the ball. Their players were always on the move but with the exception of Grabban we are a very laboured team.
Thats a real indictment of our transfer policy right there and absolutely true. We are a decent team made up of some really poor players. Sabri has performed a minor miracle this year. Perhaps thats his strength?

I think Milwall gave us a lesson in making life easier for the chap crossing the ball. Their players were always on the move but with the exception of Grabban we are a very laboured team.
Last night was the most static we've been, when the player on the ball looked up there was barley any movement and no one was showing for the ball. Untill bostock came on he was always looking for it and only misplaced one pass which was a bit over hit to carvhallo who was making some runs, grabban looked knackered hardly moving about the pitch, ameobi looked knackered barley got going, lolley is struggling to make an impact we need to rest grabban and ameobi or they maybe out before the season ends. Trouble is diakhabi is hopeless he won't do anything, walker doesn't seem to be able to do the pressing grabban does and da Costa is crocked. We are just running out of steam last few performances were very flat, January we needed an experienced striker and a wide player who can actually play football we got neither.

Well that was horrific. After some reflections milwall were set up well to frustrate us but dearie me samedo and watson just doesnt work. Felt we got totally overrun everytime the play got turned over. Think the problem imo is that we dont have anyone effective to partner watson when sow is out. If sow is out then so is watson imo. Sabz should let bostock have a go maybe with yates. Samedo is a decent footballer but for me needs to show some positional discipline, atm he is killing us because watson not mobile enough.

Difficult call with watson but we've tried 3 or 4 partners and only sow seems to work. When sow is out we need to look for a whole new midfield combo imo

Well that was horrific. After some reflections milwall were set up well to frustrate us but dearie me samedo and watson just doesnt work. Felt we got totally overrun everytime the play got turned over. Think the problem imo is that we dont have anyone effective to partner watson when sow is out. If sow is out then so is watson imo. Sabz should let bostock have a go maybe with yates. Samedo is a decent footballer but for me needs to show some positional discipline, atm he is killing us because watson not mobile enough.

Difficult call with watson but we've tried 3 or 4 partners and only sow seems to work. When sow is out we need to look for a whole new midfield combo imo
How about Sherlock chap?

Laboured doesn't come close to covering it.

It is so disheartening to watch a player go on a run and you just know that there is absolutely no one with him.

And if there is, that ball is going to the defender not the lonely individual who has huffed and puffed into the box.

It's no wonder Lolley shoots wildly so often; he's got used to not bothering to look for a team mate

Silva is out for next Saturday. We have gambled a bit, trying to rest Sow with his dodgy knee. Hasn’t worked as Watson Yates is too negative, Watson Silva not now possible and Watson Samedo not working. Now we have gambled on resting Sow we should continue to rest him till he can play without pain. No good rushing him back for him to not play in playoffs. Assuming Sow is still out v Weds I feel we have to play Watson and Bostock. At least he can pass the ball. SL will probably go for Yates. I don’t have a problem with this but is likely to mean we sacrifice physicality in midfield for creativity. At some stage he will need to change it.

We need to practice defence this week. If we can’t out jump attacker we must block their runs or at least compete. No free headers on back stick. Weds can play two big attackers if they wish but more likely to play only one with a supportive runner.

Last two games has shown we are still a shambles in the air at the back. CB’s don’t block runs, goalkeeper can’t catch/punch crosses under the bar. Wednesday could field any of Fletcher, Nuhiu, Wickam, Winnall plus Rhodes. Any of the first four will have a field day against our static non jumping back line. Add in two big central defenders and you can see why we have problems with set pieces.

Sabri brought a lot, but I am not sure if it will be enough for promotion or even play offs.

We should have given Jokanović everything he asked for.