Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm | Page 33 | Vital Football

Southampton v Aston Villa - Match Thread, Sat 22nd February, 3pm

Don't see why the Spurs result should be an issue. Yep they were done after playing well by a couple of stupid errors. Would have thought that would make them angry and determined to get a result today. This was close to being a must win. They should have been prepared for Southampton to come at them, and they ought to have had a plan for taking advantage of that and counter-attacking.
It was certainly must not lose....looking at the rest of our fixtures.

I'm hearing from a few people who were there today saying it got a bit nasty between our own fans.

That doesn't surprise me - even the happiest clappiest is going to have their patience tested by this ongoing inability to turn up away from home.

Our away fans deserve some sort of rebate.

As for Conor going over to the fans nice try but he doesn't have enough clout to be doing that. The guy thinks he's David Beckham and plays like David Brent. Maybe Grealish could get away with it but the rest better just clap and go inside after a performance like that.

He does have quite the pair on him I must say.

In only ten minutes on the pitch he:

Insisted on trying to shoot through two opposing players on the edge of their area instead of sliding a five-yard pass to his left to put Jack in on goal - Jack went apoplectic at him

Berated Samatta for not letting a ball run to him in the area

Berated other players for how Southampton were able to counter-attack us while he was jogging back as usual making no real attempt to cover

Seemingly simply couldn't be arsed to sprint for all of ten yards to get onto the end of a tap-in opportunity created by Trez but was instead doing his usual jogging up the pitch, completely unmarked, nobody stopping him from getting into the box on time, he simply couldn't be arsed

I don't quite know where this guy gets the sand from to be saying anything to other players about their play when he never breaks sweat for the team when he's on the pitch.

I don't want to go down, we will be back to square one and we will lose Jack and McGinn, although we might be able to keep McGinn for a season but honestly Mings I couldn't really care if he left. Going down would be detrimental even more knowing we could of got Fat Sam who would of had a massive chance of keeping us up and get us safe and we could of chose to not renew his contract and got a higher calibre manager in when we were safe and in good standing.

The entire first team, apart from Samatta, have been building up to a none performance like that for most of the season and should be dropped, especially Reina, who has made silly errors in every game.
This squad are destined for relegation and the only chance they might have to avoid it is a change in formation to a 3-5-2. Putting another striker beside Samatta will help him, just as playing Hogan in a two would have got the best out of him, so I guess that will be a no-go then.

The only chance to stay up is for us to start playing good passing football which sadly won't happen. We can change as many formations and players as we like but none of it will ever work if the team cannot pass the fucking ball. Someone mentioned how the Saints passed the ball well and with just a few passes were in or around our box attempting to score whereas we did the usual attempt to pass to Jack and hope for the best.

Despite Jack having his worst game he was still the best, running past 3 players trying to close him down. I am certain West Ham when we play them will have done their homework and try to stop Jack from having any influence.

I keep saying it but if you set up so open especially away from home you will concede and then likely lose.

Dean hasn’t identified or remedied this all season so I hold him entirely accountable and frankly would have replaced him in December.

You can pin this on this player or that, or the whole lot of them, but we’ve seen them play much better so to my logic they can’t be complete dogshit.

However the fact that Deano doesn’t appear to know the best formation, his best team, how to set them up home or away, seemingly can’t motivate them for important games, and hasn’t improved them as a unit over the season tells me he is well and truly out of his depth at Villa in the PL.

I keep saying it but if you set up so open especially away from home you will concede and then likely lose.

Dean hasn’t identified or remedied this all season so I hold him entirely accountable and frankly would have replaced him in December.

You can pin this on this player or that, or the whole lot of them, but we’ve seen them play much better so to my logic they can’t be complete dogshit.

However the fact that Deano doesn’t appear to know the best formation, his best team, how to set them up home or away, seemingly can’t motivate them for important games, and hasn’t improved them as a unit over the season tells me he is well and truly out of his depth at Villa in the PL.

I'm starting to think you're right mate, I think the fact he supports Villa has clouded my normal judgement, he's no Nuno or Wilder who can motivate a team he's just another "go out there and pass it about keep possession guy"

There doesn't seem a plan on how to score a goal or how to stop a goal. He has the Head coach title he talks Transitions, The Press, rest defending, phases, groups, monitoring fitness levels, heads of recruitment etc that has become the new football speak but the bottom line his he doesn't have any of his own ideas like Nuno and Wilder. Not to mention Pep or Jurgen His ideas are from the latest football coaching courses.

Goals are scored from moves of less than 3 or 4 max passes, from set pieces or rebounds from set-pieces, they don't come from your CB's playing dangerous football on the edge of your own box.

You can't play like Man City or Liverpool with the players we have , they pass they move and they work harder than the other team every week.

We have a ball hog like Jack, no side has a player like that any more, we are unique and we have to find a way of playing football with Jack at the centre, surround hin by minders if you like but don't stick him at left midfield ffs

I would stick Nyland in goal against city. They will have 90% of the ball anyway and nyland deserves it for almost single handedly stopping Leicester.

Nyland will be playing. Deano already said last round he will keep playing him in the cup

I'm starting to think you're right mate, I think the fact he supports Villa has clouded my normal judgement, he's no Nuno or Wilder who can motivate a team he's just another "go out there and pass it about keep possession guy"

There doesn't seem a plan on how to score a goal or how to stop a goal. He has the Head coach title he talks Transitions, The Press, rest defending, phases, groups, monitoring fitness levels, heads of recruitment etc that has become the new football speak but the bottom line his he doesn't have any of his own ideas like Nuno and Wilder. Not to mention Pep or Jurgen His ideas are from the latest football coaching courses.

Goals are scored from moves of less than 3 or 4 max passes, from set pieces or rebounds from set-pieces, they don't come from your CB's playing dangerous football on the edge of your own box.

You can't play like Man City or Liverpool with the players we have , they pass they move and they work harder than the other team every week.

We have a ball hog like Jack, no side has a player like that any more, we are unique and we have to find a way of playing football with Jack at the centre, surround hin by minders if you like but don't stick him at left midfield ffs

True test is let’s say we don’t have Super Jack. How do the team play and perform then? What set up and style does Dean deliver on the pitch?

The team isn’t trash or dogshit, it’s got some talent albeit lacking experience. However a decent coach will be able to set them up to play and get the most from the type of players he’s got, not insist on imposing a system on players that don’t fit it.

He’s proved all season (and most of last - I credit the run we had to the influence of Jack and McGinn rather than any great coaching from Deano), that he’s naive and clearly not able to use his coaching staff and time on the training ground to create and embed a formula for playing.

That’s the very essence of what a Head Coach should be doing, and he’s clearly not.

I said in December I’d seen enough and that it was just a matter of time until the results and position were bad enough for the owners to have to respond and fire him.

What Deano has done is put the pressure on everyone else; the players who’s he’s now called out, and the owners who ultimately the ones that need to make a decision. For me it’s just when and not if. And the sooner the better.

Is it because smith is a villa fan that he is being given the benefit and honour of taking us down?. The bloater seems bulletproof.

No.

He has been given the benefit of the doubt because he was the manager that took us from nowhere to promotion. It has nothing to do with being a villa fan. Thats just a lazy sound bite in my opinion. Any manager would have been afforded a few months of premier league football after last seasons efforts.

But quite rightly he is now under intense scrutiny. And this has been a natural course of events which we have seen before at our club, other clubs and will do so again.

Last edited: