Cook... The Referendum | Page 19 | Vital Football

Cook... The Referendum

Should Paul Cook be retained?

• Total voters
I dont disagree at all and I have never strongly supported the manager, my point is who else is there?

There is no one that stands out. When we have changed mangers around this time of year we ended up with Malkie Mckay and the worst manager ever Joyce
Think you will find that's now Cook based on championship results

I have no idea what football does but sacking a manager to fix a specific problem seems stupid. What if the next bloke cant fix a different problem what do you do sack him.

Why not get help fixing the problem your managers learns and develops.

Your original question was about what other industry would keep..... Just answering that for you.

If you want Paul Cook sacked I believe you made this point months ago, we know you can rest assured if you never mentioned it again, we still know

You are absolutely deluded, do you actually watch football at all?

Poll now at over 80% Cook out.

I am genuinely worried if we let him waste any more games attracting a half decent manager to replace him will be even harder than it could be now. At the moment we are still in touching distance of the team above us but we will be cut adrift soon at the rate we are going.

I am now at the stage I am not even sure it's fair to blame Cook anymore. He has proven time and time again he is way out of his depth at this level - he should have gone in the summer or in the first international break at the latest. So im firmly pointing the finger of blame at Royle for keeping him in place - there is no excuse - especially when Sunderland offered us a solution that got rid of Cook while saving money and face in sacking him. Royle's lack of leadership in this has been a dereliction of duty to the fans and IEC who backed his choice to keep him so heavily in the summer.

Let's be honest Cook will almost certainly get the next 2 games no matter what as there is no time to find a replacement with us playing Tuesday / Saturday (if only we had 2 weeks without a game to do things like that!) but i think we are in potentially detrimental win territory now. I hate to say that especially as Reading is a must win but if Cook wins that and it keeps him another 5 games it's 5 games too many. I don't want us to ever lose but in the interests of us staying up I am now afraid that the short term boost of a few points in a one off good result will be offset by the furthet damage done and additional points lost in the extra games it would buy him. He should've gone long before this point and I am so frustrated we are now in the position where we have to debate detrimental wins. Ideal world he goes asap and youth team coach or something gets win against Reading as caretaker and then we get new boss in for Luton away.

Last edited:
Poll now at over 80% Cook out.

I am genuinely worried if we let him waste any more games attracting a half decent manager to replace him will be even harder than it could be now. At the moment we are still in touching distance of the team above us but we will be cut adrift soon at the rate we are going.

I am now at the stage I am not even sure it's fair to blame Cook anymore. He has proven time and time again he is way out of his depth at this level - he should have gone in the summer or in the first international break at the latest. So im firmly pointing the finger of blame at Royle for keeping him in place - there is no excuse - especially when Sunderland offered us a solution that got rid of Cook while saving money and face in sacking him. Royle's lack of leadership in this has been a dereliction of duty to the fans and IEC who backed his choice to keep him so heavily in the summer.

Let's be honest Cook will almost certainly get the next 2 games no matter what as there is no time to find a replacement with us playing Tuesday / Saturday (if only we had 2 weeks without a game to do things like that!) but i think we are in potentially detrimental win territory now. I hate to say that especially as Reading is a must win but if Cook wins that and it keeps him another 5 games it's 5 games too many. I don't want us to ever lose but in the interests of us staying up I am now afraid that the short term boost of a few points in a one off good result will be offset by the furthet damage done and additional points lost in the extra games it would buy him. He should've gone long before this point and I am so frustrated we are now in the position where we have to debate detrimental wins. Ideal world he goes asap and youth team coach or something gets win against Reading as caretaker and then we get new boss in for Luton away.
If Cook was a dog he'd be off down the vets to be put out of his (and our misery). It seems clear that he is (and has been for 12 months) hopelessly out of his depth and has no clue what to do next other than repeating what has gone before and hope for the best.
After Bristol and Swansea games the introduction of Jacobs and Naismith again in a similar situation is below amateur in fact it's below U7s football tactical standards.
Other than the parting contract prezzy fm Sharp i can see no reason other than that we can't afford to pay him off as to why he isn't gone.
If Cook had any feelings for our club he would at the least be proactively seeking a mutual consent departure.

The bit about not sacking a manager just in case someone else can't do the job.

If you was running a business with that mentality that business would soon go under haha.

Id better close my rather successful small business down then. And lay off the staff i employ and not pay the suppliers. Thanks for the advise

Id better close my rather successful small business down then. And lay off the staff i employ and not pay the suppliers. Thanks for the advise
Given the username the fact you joined this forum only a couple of weeks ago speaks volumes.
Professional fisherman or multiposter which one is it ?

Well I don't want our small buisness(tics) going under(relegation) all because we'd rather keep on a manager who is inadequate of doing the job at hand.

Cook stays we go down.

We get a new manager then we could go down or we could stay up.

He needs to be replaced, Royle needs to pull his finger out as he is the one making the decision!!!

If we go down, which is looking likely, we would lose £6M per season, would someone like Pullis or Moyes cost us £6M a season?

Moyes said in recent interview he is a Prem manager and not interested in Championship so we can rule him out.

Pulis I think is possible but we are not in an attractive position so I suspect he will only come for big money that will probably be more than the club wants to pay.

Adkins, Warnock, Campbell, Ainsworth, Flynn, Poyet, Oscar Garcia possibly Martin O'Neill are probably the best available names off top of my head and we all heard Usworth may be a candidate in the past. But if the club has done their homework they should have loads of names on a list that we may not be aware of. Look at Forest, Swansea or Brentford - very few of their fans will have heard of them before the arrived and did well. Then there are clubs like Fulham and Derby (last year) who gave a new manager a first crack at the job. There is no guarentee safe bet - there was a couple but we kept Cook so long that they went elsewhere so now we have to take a bit more of a gamble but there are good coaches out there - but at this point any gamble is probably a safer bet than keeping Cook and expecting to not get relegated.

Chris Houghton....if you don't ask you won't get an answer!!

He's already turned down 3 clubs at this level and said he is waiting for a Prem job. In the summer I thought we had a chance as he took Birmingham and Brighton on who were in worse messes than us at this level but he said that in the past he always felt he needed to get back in asap after being sacked but after his time at Brighton feels like he can afford to be picky. So unfortunately he's not an option.

He's already turned down 3 clubs at this level and said he is waiting for a Prem job. In the summer I thought we had a chance as he took Birmingham and Brighton on who were in worse messes than us at this level but he said that in the past he always felt he needed to get back in asap after being sacked but after his time at Brighton feels like he can afford to be picky. So unfortunately he's not an option.

If we DON'T ask then we will NEVER know if he would be an option. Would much rather we ask n get a knock back than to not ask at all. Also if IEC are serious about us progressing then we need to think big imo.

Well I don't want our small buisness(tics) going under(relegation) all because we'd rather keep on a manager who is inadequate of doing the job at hand.

Cook stays we go down.

We get a new manager then we could go down or we could stay up.

He needs to be replaced, Royle needs to pull his finger out as he is the one making the decision!!!

If i may say you struggled with that didnt you. You told me that if i had a business if would fail. Its not. then you twist it by saying paul cook is a crap manager of a business, he isnt he is the manager of a department in a business.

Anyway why dont you and every one else on here just COOK OUT for every post