Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

To be honest we never really looked like scoring,Sometimes a bit hard to tell via ifollow due to camera,
However crossing was generally poor and corners were not great eithere, Ithought Neal Eardley and Jason Shackell were prone to mIsatkes yesterday and both looked slow,
Was surprised Akinde relaced Walker and wasnt kept on together i really dont think either suits the lone striker role its a very hard act ,

Whilst at times we looked quick in the Midfield our end result was generally poor,
Think this was a game the players wanted out of the way after the week they have had ,
Hopefully they can fire up now and put the past in the past,

The last two games i feel we have been below par for obvious reasons

The games we lost to Mkd and Doncaster i thought we deserved something. Wycombe and yesterday we probably didnt, Not that Bristol did either,

The Ref looked slow and incompetent but did he cost us the game probably not

First minute penalty appeal on replay looks like chest onto arm (accidental), dont understand current rules so not sure what that should be.

I'd recall jas

He needs to play games at a level where he has the chance to excel regularly. ie at Boston. We might then have a more potent attack in the future.

Success in the future won’t be based on good young home grown players coming through, if we are as short sighted as this.

There are no short cuts to having a 21 year old forward everyone in your league would want. In JAS’s case that is three years if all goes well.

Is it time to ditch the 2 wingers tactic? That would enable us to have another cf, not that we have many options in that department.

First minute penalty appeal on replay looks like chest onto arm (accidental), dont understand current rules so not sure what that should be.

I think it delfects off the player before him and then he leans to try and chest it with his arms out, but the ball hits him in the arm. I think it's a penalty, certainly more of a penalty than the decision they got.

I'm afraid, the higher you progress up the leagues the harder it it will be with one up front.
I think we should play with both Walker & Akinde up front together if we are going to progress.
It worked well last year when Bruno and Harry were far enough forward to act as part of a front 3, which I guess just backs up the point.

This year, I feel that Payne is not the type of number 10 we can rely on to get the 10+ goals you would hope for with 1 isolated forward. Imagine instead the carnage Payne could cause feeding balls into Big John and Tyler. Grant looks handy around the box, but is not a winger, so I'd see him and Payne fighting for 1 position with 2 up front.

I do agree that we need to at least try 2 up front soon. It was sad to see JM parroting DC's "tactic" of replacing Tyler with Big John around 70 minutes.

My summary of yesterday:

On the penalty, my view was this goes into the 'soft' category. However, we've had our fair share of those over the last couple of seasons - think Anderson v Swindon & Bury; Akinde v Doncaster in the Trophy.

I totally agree we get some penalties that should not be given because the referee’s decision is wrong. You take it but it does not make it right.

The “it was soft but I have seen them given” argument is one of the reasons why we are in the state we are.

Let’s be clear, players dive and refeees buy it. Yesterday’s was an extreme example where there can be no doubt it was not a penalty.

It will continue while...

Divers get a big reward for successfully conning the ref but have no real deterrent.

It may be radical and it won’t happen but if a dive in the penalty area was penalised by awarding a penalty at the other end the amount of dives may reduce!

You can’t stop Carl Boyeson being incompetent... you can make player think twice before diving.

Seen a video taken from lower 7 that's on twitter, hits arm, penalty for me, he dived keeper like at the ball, he was asking for trouble.
Completely different game if that's given.
After the first 10 minutes we faded badly and struggled to string passes together
New manager asap please Clive and co.
Don't want this slide lasting much longer as looked shambolic at times and not like we have done over the last 3 years, the players need a leader again.

Well, time to find a new hobby I guess.
Oh FFS. I asssume this is an attempt at humour.

It reminds me of the mood at the Bank watching the Aldershot game in 2011. There was a guy behind me constantly moaning about everything (admittedly he had plenty of material to work with). They were dark days, but we still backed the team and the club. Luckily those days are long gone.

Jack Payne - always seems to be voted for in the MOTM polls but is he really that effective? He's a skilful player and it's good to watch skill but from what I have seen this season (didn't see today's game) the end-product is a bit lacking.
I think Grant is the key man, he is creating more than you think.
Payne 0 goals 1 assist.
Grant 2 goals 5 assists already, with what feels like less game time.

Jack Payne - always seems to be voted for in the MOTM polls but is he really that effective? He's a skilful player and it's good to watch skill but from what I have seen this season (didn't see today's game) the end-product is a bit lacking.
Payne 0 goals 1 assist.

Tend to agree. His final ball lacks precision, but the same could have been said of Andrade yesterday who gave it away 4/5 times on the trot in one segment of the game. Both very skilful players at this level but not quite giving us what we need in the final 3rd at the moment.

Payne 0 goals 1 assist.

I would be tempted to sell him back to Huddersfield if they want him and find someone that can shoot

I can not envisage why you would take off your leading scorer and player most likely to score when you are 1-0 down at home.

For me the incident that I thought was most likely a penalty was the BR handball in the area in the first half probably 35- 40th minute,in front of the BR fans the chap clearly put his hand out to stop Anderson or Eardley cross while he was stood in the penalty area.

For their penalty the even more disappointing thing, was if I recall correctly the ref had a good view of it which makes it an even worse decision.

Payne 0 goals 1 assist.

I agree about his end product, but there aren't always that many options in front of Payne for that killer ball. If the wingers are still out wide it's Walker/Akinde and that's it.

Just watched the full replay on iFollow. Ref was a plonker. Missed a handball in the box and there’s no way that was a penalty. Having said that Eardley was regularly beaten, Toffolo was careless giving away possession and we didn’t take our chances.

Payne does work very very hard though. Even yesterday, when he didn't play very well, he put thier defenders under a lot of pressure and did a decent amount of running. Another facet to his game that isn't often mentioned is that he doesn't half get stuck in. He jumps for headers and doesn't mind putting a foot in.

Think he just needs a goal to take the pressure off a bit.

Oh FFS. I asssume this is an attempt at humour.

It reminds me of the mood at the Bank watching the Aldershot game in 2011. There was a guy behind me constantly moaning about everything (admittedly he had plenty of material to work with). They were dark days, but we still backed the team and the club. Luckily those days are long gone.

Being an exile it takes a significant amount of planning, money and time to watch the team - something I've loved doing over the last four years since returning from abroad, because it was worth doing so. However, spending £40-£60 on trains, £25 on a ticket + more for taxis etc looks less of a prospect if it's to sit and watch a team that can't muster more than a shot on goal a game and lose, week in week out.

That's fairweather, perhaps - shout me down for it if you like - but it's a financial and free time consideration. That's the harsh reality. I suspect others far closer to Lincoln are beginning to feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator: