Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

Finances I understand.

Opting to stop going when times get tough is poor.

If I lived in Lincoln, I'd agree with you. But I don't want to spend my Saturdays travelling up to six hours to feel depressed. It's a totally different situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Payne has a lot of skill on the ball. But its when he passes he doesn't seem to make the best decisions.
Not alone in that though.

We gave the ball away too often (as Notty pointed out).
We did dominate a lot in midfield and down the wings but created almost nothing from it except loads of corners, all of which came to nothing. The free kicks we got around the box were also completely wasted.

Not sure why we are struggling with corners and free kicks. Opponents seem to capitalise often from set pieces against us, we capitalise very rarely.

Of course, correct refereeing and we're in a different game and maybe passes would have been more confidently made etc.

Payne has a lot of skill on the ball. But its when he passes he doesn't seem to make the best decisions.
Not alone in that though.

We gave the ball away too often (as Notty pointed out).
We did dominate a lot in midfield and down the wings but created almost nothing from it except loads of corners, all of which came to nothing. The free kicks we got around the box were also completely wasted.

Not sure why we are struggling with corners and free kicks. Opponents seem to capitalise often from set pieces against us, we capitalise very rarely.

Of course, correct refereeing and we're in a different game and maybe passes would have been more confidently made etc.

The pitch being taken in quite narrow makes it hard to use the width when your passing it around trying to move a back four side to side - should be an advantage for set pieces but doesn't seem to be for us now. I don't think the impact of losing a big striker in the box for those can be understated, provided one extra aerial threat or a more effective blocker.

If I lived in Lincoln, I'd agree with you. But I don't want to spend my Saturdays travelling up to six hours to feel depressed. It's a totally different situation.
Let’s give them time to adjust first mate, we all felt it yesterday, it was a depressing performance...☹️

It was certainly true that some of our more effective performances last season were when both Akinde and Rheady were on the pitch together.
Also true with Green and Rheady.

We haven't seen Walker and Akinde together yet. It may well be an improvement. Don't know.
What we do know is that there's no one else...unless JAS gets a recall.
To be fair, we did actually have Akinde and Walker on the pitch together in the second half at Wycombe and it coincided with our best attacking spell of the match. However, whilst Walker certainly knows where the goal is, JA is incredibly shot-shy. Have DC/NC told him to pass rather than shoot or is it simply a crisis of confidence ever since he came? The new manager has got to release his potential or we could be in big trouble.

His last two goals have been from open play funnily enough at Doncaster and Wycombe
Granted, although I was referring more to the numerous times when JA has had the chance to shoot from around the edge of the area but opts instead to pass it wide. He could hardly miss the tap in at Wycombe. Can't recall his goal at Donny - when you see so many games they tend to roll into one at my age.

Granted, although I was referring more to the numerous times when JA has had the chance to shoot from around the edge of the area but opts instead to pass it wide. He could hardly miss the tap in at Wycombe. Can't recall his goal at Donny - when you see so many games they tend to roll into one at my age.
I know what you mean often he passes it when maybe he could shoot.
His goal at Doncaster was he jinked a couple of players and put it away, decent goal actually.

It may be radical and it won’t happen but if a dive in the penalty area was penalised by awarding a penalty at the other end the amount of dives may reduce!

You can’t stop Carl Boyeson being incompetent... you can make player think twice before diving.

Great idea! Sadly the authorities will never be brave enough to take such a radical but sensible step.