Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

A lot of good attacking teams play one up front and that's not the issue so much for me. We couldn't get the ball through midfield today to walker or akinde, could have played ten up front and wouldn't make a differnce

I am not quite sure what I saw there. I was tripping on Day Nurse, for man flu, 2 hours kip, after working third night shift and just feeling like my head was in a large plastic bucket with someone beating a ladel on all sides.

I think the ref must have been tripping on some better substance, as I didn't see what was going on.

Our forward play was poor and we need a manager in quickly. I am hoping for Ainsworth, but my sleep deprived and Day Nurse addled brain is now thinking we probably won't appoint him. Which makes me sad.

One thing it did solve is that this is not a job for Jamie. Alarmingly we have two strikers and a plethora or midfielders. I always said that signing strikers was the Cowleys weak point, and I have to say I was proved right. If Gareth is still a registered player, we might need him. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this board doesn't follow the same mistakes that others have in the past.....Here is hoping.
I find it difficult that so many people want Ainsworth but don't know who else is on the list

Started well enough and if the ref wasn't a twat we would probably have had a penalty but it quickly became disjointed and it suited them perfectly as they went over at the slightest touch.
You just knew that he would give them a penalty having ignored ours.
We looked poor particularly in the passing department.
We need a new manager asap before lose all our momentum.
Two poor sides but one got the big break.

Do feel sorry for Jamie M as sure he's worked hard this week and you feel that we could have had a first min pen and settled in well. Totally different story.

Basically written off now.

Is it a coincidence that our down turn and the speculation cover the same period? I wonder how much this has unsettled the players.

I think it would have been better for the cowleys to have left in the summer.

Ok they signed Payne and walker which were good moves but we seem to have too many central players and not enough up front.

I think the new manager needs to look for a out of contact striker.

I think we will do well to be a mid table league 1 club this year.

Of course I could be wrong we get in a breathe of fresh air who makes akinde the ultimate striker and gets the defence working like a solid unit

Do feel sorry for Jamie M as sure he's worked hard this week and you feel that we could have had a first min pen and settled in well. Totally different story.

Basically written off now.

I certainly don't, just holding the fort until next week, then he'll be a coach at Huddersfield Town

Penalty was an unbelievable decision, he can't have seen it. There wasn't a challenge. Didn't get much else right either, and thought it looked like a pen in the first half.

I know people like Payne a lot and he's clearly a talented player but definitely not motm for me. Too clever by half around the edge of the box, wasting too many good positions when we found it tough to get the ball through to him anyway.

Agreed.

The Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said on the Radio as we were travelling home today teams that play a 5-4-1 formation are never going to win anything, he was talking about Newcastle at the time but he was eluding to those teams in general that play a lone striker, and we are one of those teams I'm afraid, the higher you progress up the leagues the harder it it will be with one up front.
I think we should play with both Walker & Akinde up front together if we are going to progress.

It was certainly true that some of our more effective performances last season were when both Akinde and Rheady were on the pitch together.
Also true with Green and Rheady.

We haven't seen Walker and Akinde together yet. It may well be an improvement. Don't know.
What we do know is that there's no one else...unless JAS gets a recall.

Interesting game for lots of reasons.

Firstly we have struggled since losing to Donny away (first time in the league not the EFL trophy)- the early link up play has dipped and we can't quite get the service to Walker (who is no more a lone striker than Akinde was).

SO today wasn't a one-off experience but, to be honest, very similar to the last 6 games (Everton aside).

Thought we started really brightly and showed signs of promise without the final finish. Rovers looked as bad as Southend had and i had high hopes. Last 10 mins of first half, Rovers started to get back into the game and occasionally looked vaguely threatening.

Second half we overcooked the effort overall (we tried too hard), lost our shape and formation.

Thought Andrade was poor today particularly in tracking back, protecting Toffolo and chasing/marking.

Anderson final ball was also ineffective almost all afternoon.

Frustrating- not as bad as Wycombe by any means but the team are now playing in a pattern of games where things are being repeated and they aren't benefitting us.

To be honest, on another day, that would have been 0-0 all day long.

Onto the next game- thought the crowd (8,700) were excellent today and really got behind the team- the team really tried today but showed we need a helmsman back at the helm quickly to bring in some fresh ideas that we haven't had for 3 or 4 weeks.

It was certainly true that some of our more effective performances last season were when both Akinde and Rheady were on the pitch together.
Also true with Green and Rheady.

We haven't seen Walker and Akinde together yet. It may well be an improvement. Don't know.
What we do know is that there's no one else...unless JAS gets a recall.

Akinde and Walker (2nd half Wycombe) looked strong, linked well and gave Walker some space.

Walker isn't a target man any more than Akinde is.

Back home after both a frustrating drive to the match due to horrendous gridlock around where I live and the subsequent game. I managed to miss the first five minutes so the alleged handball I have no idea about , but overall very disappointing. Their penalty was at the other end to me so I will need to see it again but the ref was blowing constantly for everything and anything and the play never flowed from either side
Rovers were in my opinion a poor team but they nulified us and we just didn't create enough over the 90 minutes although on other days some of the dangerous low crosses would have fallen to one of ours. Perhaps they might if we had more than one striker on the pitch at any given time??
Difficult to assess as an audition for Jamie if he is in the running for the managers job, but I was disappointed with the like for like substitutions when we were one down.
Tuesday becomes a big match now. We are still 7th so really we shouldn't be moaning too much but this little run of 6 defeats in 7 needs stopping sooner than later

Was not at the game today as I'm sunning my lard arse in Italy. In my Chianti addled brain I'm trying to find some perspective in today's result- no doubt D&N going has unsettled the players & process and recent results are not what we have got used to but we are in a much better and competitive league. Danny did not have the budget to get all the quality cover in the building he wanted but the silver lining is we now have some compo- hopefully the new manager will be able to bolster the squad. Yes the king has gone but let's not sour what they did for us in the last 3+ years - the Imps dynasty will carry on regardless. UTI !

It is a loss. There have been plenty more in the past and there will be plenty more in the future. I know there is a recent pattern of them and I am sure that when Notts County started on theirs they didn't think that they would get relegated, but it is too short a sequence to be statistically significant and there are multiple potential possibilities for the rest of the season. This result doesn't rule anything in or anything out.

I have faith in our future, faith in Nate, and patience to be proved right or wrong. Phlegmatic should be a buzz word, for it is what we need to be.

I still think that we will finish in and around the play-off positions come the end of the season.

Was not at the game today as I'm sunning my lard arse in Italy. In my Chianti addled brain I'm trying to find some perspective in today's result- no doubt D&N going has unsettled the players & process and recent results are not what we have got used to but we are in a much better and competitive league. Danny did not have the budget to get all the quality cover in the building he wanted but the silver lining is we now have some compo- hopefully the new manager will be able to bolster the squad. Yes the king has gone but let's not sour what they did for us in the last 3+ years - the Imps dynasty will carry on regardless. UTI !

Danny Cowley's's left us with an unbalanced squad ineffective in its one tactical setup and suffering a severe slump. If the new boss is dragged into a relegation battle, I know where my finger will be pointing.

By the way, to show my still growing disdain for his actions, Danny Cowley's shall from now on be referred to as Danny Cowley's.

Last edited by a moderator: